Impending Superb iV hybrid

3 years has flown by, and I am now coming to the end of my time with my current company car. I have just placed an order for its replacement. After only recently becoming available (after 1st Jan for contact hire) I've ordered the new iV plug in hybrid Superb Estate in L&K trim.

I was just wondering if anyone else had orderd one/got one already and what your thoughts are on it? 

On paper its going to save me a boat load of dosh as a company car driver, but the proof of the pudding as they say...., so wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FraggaZagga said:

3 years has flown by, and I am now coming to the end of my time with my current company car. I have just placed an order for its replacement. After only recently becoming available (after 1st Jan for contact hire) I've ordered the new iV plug in hybrid Superb Estate in L&K trim.

I was just wondering if anyone else had orderd one/got one already and what your thoughts are on it? 

On paper its going to save me a boat load of dosh as a company car driver, but the proof of the pudding as they say...., so wanted to get some opinions from you guys.

The car is £40,240 (on the road) and BIK value is 16% of £40,185 (based on 38 CO2)

BIK was 13% for tax year 2018-19, so Chancellor might put it up another 3%

There is a provisional figure of 14% (or less, depending on electric range) 

Although some rates only apply to cars registered after 6 April 2020

We all know if too many people do it, and Government looses tax, they change the rules next year

Even though you will be paying about £200 per month in BIK Income tax, seems good deal.   

But how much is the company paying, if they are paying £500-600 per month (average including deposit) and had offered you extra £500-600 salary per month instead would you have taken that and bought a cheap car which costs £200-300 per month and kept the rest

Do not forget that the "extra" £500-£600 per month would result in more income tax presuming that you are a higher rate tax payer. This would then be an extra tax of £200-£240 per month, based on 40% tax.

Edited by Danny 57

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

The car is £40,240 (on the road) and BIK value is 16% of £40,185 (based on 38 CO2)

BIK was 13% for tax year 2018-19, so Chancellor might put it up another 3%

There is a provisional figure of 14% (or less, depending on electric range) 

Although some rates only apply to cars registered after 6 April 2020

We all know if too many people do it, and Government looses tax, they change the rules next year

Even though you will be paying about £200 per month in BIK Income tax, seems good deal.   

But how much is the company paying, if they are paying £500-600 per month (average including deposit) and had offered you extra £500-600 salary per month instead would you have taken that and bought a cheap car which costs £200-300 per month and kept the rest

Thanks for the info John, I was working on figures from comcar.co.uk, and comparing to what I am paying currently I got savings of £160 to £185 depending on year.  Thats got the rest of this tax year 2019-20 at 16%, but going down to 12% for the next 2 years.

Either way there will be a saving to me, which is great.

I was hoping for some info about the car itself, from someone who has one. I've read the reviews and it all looks like business as usual, but always better to get the views of an actual owner and not just some motoring journo.

16 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

Do not forget that the "extra" £500-£600 per month would result in more income tax presuming that you are a higher rate tax payer. This would then be an extra tax of £200-£240 per month, based on 40% tax.

Thanks Danny, but you're wrong in your presumption, I'm not a 40% tax payer.

8 minutes ago, FraggaZagga said:

Well and good luck as you are doing very well for monthly car value. Obviously halving those tax values makes it much more interesting presuming the extra income does not push you into the next tax band.

I have had my L&K for nearly 8 years.

Good luck anyway.

12 minutes ago, FraggaZagga said:

I made same error, didn't assume a basic rate tax payer was given a >£40k car

4 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I made same error, didn't assume a basic rate tax payer was given a >£40k car

My Boss is very much trying to keep me sweet, and I did push him as I had an L&K last time, and didn't want to step down to an SE L. He is also very keen to up our company's 'Green' credentials as were ordering 2 one for me and another for one of our sales guys. He's getting a Tesla for himself.

I’m looking at one for my next company car as well. I had a quick look at a sport line plus at the dealer, sadly it was a customers car so I couldn’t drive it. boot is pretty good for a hybrid, I’m torn between the superb,Pug 508,BMW330 e, and Volvo xc40. Hybrid is the only way forward for a company car driver now.

when do you get yours? Don’t forget if it’s registered after April then the tax rate will be lower for the 1st year @10% vs 12% if it’s reg’d before then.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-faq/what-are-the-current-bik-bands-/3/

12 hours ago, sol said:

I’m looking at one for my next company car as well. I had a quick look at a sport line plus at the dealer, sadly it was a customers car so I couldn’t drive it. boot is pretty good for a hybrid, I’m torn between the superb,Pug 508,BMW330 e, and Volvo xc40. Hybrid is the only way forward for a company car driver now.

when do you get yours? Don’t forget if it’s registered after April then the tax rate will be lower for the 1st year @10% vs 12% if it’s reg’d before then.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-faq/what-are-the-current-bik-bands-/3/

Sol

Thanks for you reply, I looked at some other plug in hybrids as well, but none compared to the value of the Skoda, the lease prices were all way higher, especially the BMW and Volvo, also as a Superb driver already I was rather biased! We have agreed the finance but the dealer is holding off on until the last day of Jan to actually order the cars. That way it should be ready to be registered on or just after 1st April so we should be fine for that. Also they did inform me that the lease price will go up come February, and oddly the Sportline+ was more expensive that the L&K.

12 hours ago, Brockysuperb said:

There aren't any in private hands yet. Mine was ordered some two months ago, and I heard today its built and on its way.

Congratulations, when you get it do let me know what you think, what model did you go for?

3 hours ago, FraggaZagga said:

Sol

Thanks for you reply, I looked at some other plug in hybrids as well, but none compared to the value of the Skoda, the lease prices were all way higher, especially the BMW and Volvo, also as a Superb driver already I was rather biased! We have agreed the finance but the dealer is holding off on until the last day of Jan to actually order the cars. That way it should be ready to be registered on or just after 1st April so we should be fine for that. Also they did inform me that the lease price will go up come February, and oddly the Sportline+ was more expensive that the L&K.

We use Lex autolease, and the BMW M-sport is fantastically priced at the moment quite a bit cheaper than the IV and Passat GTE, whilst the tech in the current 3 series is really nice, im not sure i want the image that normally goes with the brand!

If i do go for the superb, it will be the sport line hatch with a few options, in that lovely blue, shame you can only have the black leather interior though.

On 21/01/2020 at 14:22, FraggaZagga said:

Yes I did.

Ordered a Superb iV Combi Sportline (French line-up) around Halloween and still waiting my car to be produced on week 6 as per my vendor.

Should be in my hands around week 10, ie. beginning of March or mid it.

Can't wait for it, counting the days...

11 hours ago, Pahtath said:

Yes I did.

Ordered a Superb iV Combi Sportline (French line-up) around Halloween and still waiting my car to be produced on week 6 as per my vendor.

Should be in my hands around week 10, ie. beginning of March or mid it.

Can't wait for it, counting the days...

Congratulations, lets hope it arrives on time, do post and let me know when you get it what your initial thought are. 

• Like 1

Same position as you FraggaZagga, just in the process of getting new company car ordered and going with Superb iV estate SEL, couldn't quite stretch to L&K, but managed to get a couple of bits added so quite happy. Will also be saving a boat load of cash with lower BIK, looking at delivery end May according to dealer, which will fit nicely with the new BIK rates as well. 

I'll be changing from an A4 Avant 3 litre diesel, will certainly miss the V6, but looking forward to the electric running, extra space and some of the new toys!

11 hours ago, alrobbo said:

Same position as you FraggaZagga, just in the process of getting new company car ordered and going with Superb iV estate SEL, couldn't quite stretch to L&K, but managed to get a couple of bits added so quite happy. Will also be saving a boat load of cash with lower BIK, looking at delivery end May according to dealer, which will fit nicely with the new BIK rates as well. 

I'll be changing from an A4 Avant 3 litre diesel, will certainly miss the V6, but looking forward to the electric running, extra space and some of the new toys!

Congratulations, welcome to the Superb family. You won't know what to do with all the extra space over the A4! I would have been more than happy with the SEL and was very surprised/delighted when my Boss agreed to the L&K.

I've gone with Petrol Blue & Beige, but what colour combo have you gone for?

8 minutes ago, FraggaZagga said:

Congratulations, welcome to the Superb family. You won't know what to do with all the extra space over the A4! I would have been more than happy with the SEL and was very surprised/delighted when my Boss agreed to the L&K.

I've gone with Petrol Blue & Beige, but what colour combo have you gone for?

Thanks!!  I've gone with Business Grey and black interior, the show room did have an SEL with beige, looks nice, but I don't trust myself plus with a dog and rugby family, mud tends to get everywhere and black is more forgiving with the dirt!!  I've been able to add virtual dash, reverse camera, heated windscreen & steering wheel and also with the Antares alloys (which were a no cost option for SEL!) so quite a nice spec overall. 

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this isn't a daft question, but does anyone know whether the 1.4 petrol engine in the hybrid vehicle is (a) the same as the "old" 1.4 that was replaced by the disastrous 1.5 engine or (b) a newly developed engine for this model or (c) another existing VAG petrol engine or (d) something else entirely?

1 minute ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@driventodevon

There were 2 1.4TSI Euro 6 engines produced for 3 years.  With ACT or without.

Never heard of those being a disaster.

The Euro 5 1.4 TSI Twincharger was when they were a bad one.

I was referring to the 1.5TSi in the Superb (from MY19) as being a disaster.  This is from personal experience.  Many Karoq owners have the same opinion.  (See on the Karoq forum in particular for details.)

Given that the 1.5 was designed to replace the 1.4, and it has been around for a couple of years now, I was really wondering why the new hybrid will have the 1.4.  Is it some sort of tacit acknowledgement by VAG/Skoda that the 1.5 is not satisfactory? Have they gone back to a previous generation engine that they can rely on?  (Or is the 1.4 an obvious choice for reasons I don't understand?)

• Like 1

They are using a tried and tested 1.4 TSI that could not be used without the hybrid bit as really it has high emissions just as a 1.4 TSI.

There is suitable DSG's being fitted.

The 1.5TSI EVO was likely to have been a good enough engine if they just got away without having to then have it with a GPF and get the WLTP / RDE and RDE2 figures.

The 1.4TSI 150ps was still available in the VW Sharan & SEAT Alhambra after the WLTP came in as under derogation rules.

The 1.4 TSI with an 8 speed auto is going into cars in Australia because they are not bothered about meeting the WLTP requirement.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/477576-new-australian-karoq-release-for-your-amusement

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mandp said:

Just for a bit of `balance`...

I've been driving mine (see left) for 7 months now from new and LOVE IT.

Glad to hear it, mandp.  I loved everything else about mine.

I may just have been unlucky with my particular manual (as opposed to DSG) + sunroof + towbar combination.  (I'm not wishing to resurrect that conversation, I was genuinely interested in why the hybrid has a 1.4.)

Edited by driventodevon

@mandp

To help with the balance. 

What is 'mine',

so what have you been driving, driving where and over what sorts of distances and how is it for economy of petrol or do you not use petrol?

EDIT. Sorry,

Aa i see.   Not visible on all devices.

So a 1.5TSI DSG Superb, not a Plug in Hybrid.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot