1.2 engine Rapid - any issues?

My dad needs a new car with a decent boot, normally goes for Nissan but not many Pulsars out there.

Have found a local 2014 Rapid saloon with 38k in budget.

Have heard various stories about the 1.2 engine and was just wondering what people's experiences were with them.

Cheers :)

My 2014 Rapid with 1.2 TSI 63kw ( CBZA ) has 235 000 km on it. Not sure what year it was produced, can check later. Timing chain was replaced after 120 000 km by the Skoda dealership. As I understand it was not even necessary? Oil changed every 15 000 km. Turbo seems to be original? Not sure as there is nothing in the records. 

I got it recently at 225 000 km. Runs great.

If the engine is the old 8v with the timing chain (oil filter high up on the engine and visible) there were a few issues with the chain on early versions. If the later 16v with timing belt they seem to be trouble free. I had Rapids with both engines and had no problems whatsoever with either. Both were lovely, smooth, powerful and frugal units. Incidentally either of the 1.2s probably has a slight edge on the current 1.0 TSI overall.

The widespread timing chain and turbo issues with the 8V pre 2015 engine were all supposed to be cured by 2012 when the last recall happened. But they weren't. My 2014 had the common turbo boost actuator fail code + limp mode problem at only 26000 miles, which the dealer fixed at the second attempt by sticking a new turbo in. 

Conversely, I've never heard a bad word about the later 1.2 16V belt cam motor (from mid 2015 on) so I'd go for one of those.

Edited by camelspyyder

If it's a 105 8V it's a lovely drive, nicest 4 cylinder I've ever had, but as stated above, it broke at very low mileage. It's not great on mpg either. The lower power 86bhp one was reputed on here to be substantially more economical.

Now I've read the ad I'm amazed. I didn't think anyone in the UK bought the bottom of the range MPi engine, so I know little about it except it's less powerful than any of the TSi engines discussed above, and rather less economical too. 

Edited by camelspyyder

From the Ad it seems to be a non turbo 1.2 MPI of which I have no experience. I would ,however, imagine that the engine will be a little pedestrian and may struggle to haul this car if it is fully laden. Provided that you are prepared to accept the moderate performance it may well be a good buy. In its favour it does not have a turbo to go wrong.

Edited by Robbydazzler

I'm back in the Skoda fray now after a 10 year absence

Over Christmas, my old Vauxhall Meriva practically suffered a coolant system failure cumulating in a blown head gasket so I had to find a replacement fairly rapidly.

It was between a 1.4tsi Skoda Octavia Elegance and a 1.2tsi Skoda Rapid Spaceback Tech, and long story short the 1,2tsi Rapid won the choice and I'm now the happy owner of a 2016 Rapid Spaceback

The things that won it for the Spaceback in my eyes were the 

- Boot - perfect for dogs jumping in and out

- Engine (£30 road tax - the Octavia was 1mg into the higher tax band annoyingly!)

Overall the engine is quiet, it purrs along and at ideal you cant hear it at all.  under the bonnet, everything is accessible easily and its all there in front of you, it always annoyed me with the Meriva that I had to remove half the fascia under the windscreen to access some of the fluids. 

In hindsight I probably would have gone for the Octavia, but running costs (Fuel+Tax+Insurance) did it for me and overall I am happy with the equipment level Ive got in the Rapid anyways. 

• Like 1

Yes the later 12TSI is very nice, but the OP is looking at quite a different car. Only 73bhp, 5-10 less mpg, expensive VED and 3 seconds slower to 60.

Definitely the MPI comes with hidden costs. The 105 greentech and 110 engines give more performance and economy and cost only 20 or 30 quid to tax 

Edited by camelspyyder

Yeah the more I'm looking into it the more I'm backing off. The Tsi's seem to be £30 to tax so there's an extra £115 a year, plus lower MPG. i'd gotten excited when saw this one at good money, but had assumed that they'd the same engine as later ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave this one a miss, don't think I'd have been fully confident in that engine, had initially thought was a tsi. Had a look at it though and it would have been ideal for what dad needed, great boot in them and the dealer put new set of Skoda wheeltrims on. Rear bumper marked with stuff going in and out boot but seems like a good price. He got a Nissan from same dealer.