New Kodiaq Ordered!

DBakes

SE-L Colour  

12 members have voted

1. 1. SE-L Colour

• Black Magic Pearl
    • Quartz Grey

My time with the Fabia is coming to an end, and it's been nigh on 4 years of trouble free motoring so I decided to stick with Skoda for the family upgrade to a 7 seater.

I've gone for a 1.5TSI SE-L DSG, added on Virtual cockpit, ACC, LED Interior Pack & Triglav Black Alloys.. but I'm undecided on the colour! 

Can't decide between Black Magic Pearl or Quartz Grey. I was originally going to go with Meteor Grey but I think that suits the SportLine bodykit more than the SE-L, after seeing a Black Magic Pearl in the dealer I went with that on the order but looking online the Quartz Grey is catching my eye. There aren't that many Kodiaq's around here so not got much to go on.

Opinions on the Quartz Grey? If anyone has a picture of their SE-L in Quartz Grey or Black Magic then I'd be very much interested in seeing them!

The problem with the S, SE, SE L and Edition (at least for me) are the huge swathes of unpainted mat black plastic.

On the lighter colours the contrast is too much, it reminds of those entry level models from the 1990's with their black plastic bumpers, door mirrors and handles.

Not wanting to upset anyone with a white Kodiaq, but the Moon / Candy White is a prime example, it's a little bargain basement...

image.png.552e0bbbbebdb9c52bd229ffbbc74107.png

On the flip side, if you take your Kodiaq off road then the lack of colour coded panels, lower down, could very much be a good thing for protection purposes.

The Quartz Grey is darker though, so the issue isn't as pronounced, but it is still there  enough for me to avoid it...

image.png.e40cf3a02118555f6e6e9f9c5a6726bd.png

I have a Black Magic Kodiaq, and contrary to the comments about it showing up every mark, mine is approaching two years old and 15,000 miles and looks pretty good to me, a few small scratches and stone chips but I actually think the black paint hides them quite well.

The important thing for me though is the fact it hides the black plastic well...

image.png.3ca04b89905316fbb90cc1e91b8c17d3.png

The only other option is to go for the SportLine, L&K or vRS where the black bumpers are colour coded from the factory.

If the mat black bits don't bother you then I'd say both colours work well on the Kodiaq.

Colour, after fuel type and manual vs. DSG is one of the most contentious topics on here, and ultimately it is only you who can decide...

image.png.8b46d7d435fef8b56c28345a4227a4e1.png

Edited by silver1011

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The problem with the S, SE, SE L and Edition (at least for me) are the huge swathes of unpainted mat black plastic.

On the lighter colours the contrast is too much, it reminds of those entry level models from the 1990's with their black plastic bumpers, door mirrors and handles.

Thanks, this is the exact rationale that made me initially opt for the Black Magic, it definitely blended everything in better. Couple with the fact that the roof bars also appear to be black on mine, I may well just stick with the Black Magic

All the photo's of cars you see online are generally taken during the summer months, are are freshly valeted.

The reality is in the UK that for more than half the year it is predominantly wet, cold and dirty.

I like a nice clean grey car on a bright summers day (note the Skoda Superb behind my black Kodiaq pictured above), but at this time of year I don't want a car that is the exact same colour as the sky, scenery and road 😂

I had a black Saab for three years ... and vowed I'd NEVER have a black car again!

It showed every slight bit of dust or dirt.  I’d have it washed and dried on the way home from work and get home (6 town miles later) with it looking soiled.  And that was in the dry!

Mid silver seems to show dirt least, but is a bit passè now.  (My partner has a mid-silver Smart car.  It looks fine, and gets washed every three months.)

Not wanting to upset anyone with a white Kodiaq, but the Moon / Candy White is a prime example, it's a little bargain basement...

Aesthetics and personal colour preferences aside, don't underestimate the value of a white car. As an ex motorcyclist I can attest to the fact that a colour that stands out from a distance has the ability to prevent accidents and save lives.

I've gone from Pearl Black Rapid to Quartz Grey Kodiaq with gloss black triglavs.  I started to question myself why I paid extra for the gloss black, but when it arrived I was super pleased that I did and think the combo looks great. I'm sure they look great with Pearl Black too though!

13 hours ago, tbone134 said:

I've gone from Pearl Black Rapid to Quartz Grey Kodiaq with gloss black triglavs.  I started to question myself why I paid extra for the gloss black, but when it arrived I was super pleased that I did and think the combo looks great. I'm sure they look great with Pearl Black too though!

Sounds like you have the exact car that I'm ordering, would you mind sharing a few pictures?

5 minutes ago, DBakes said:

Sounds like you have the exact car that I'm ordering, would you mind sharing a few pictures?

I've not actually got pictures of it yet!   I'll try and get a couple and post.  It will not be any nice shiny sunny day ones that's for sure!

4 minutes ago, tbone134 said:

I've not actually got pictures of it yet!   I'll try and get a couple and post.  It will not be any nice shiny sunny day ones that's for sure!

Even better! I live in South Wales, so there is no point me looking at pictures on sunny days.... 😂

On 27/01/2020 at 12:45, DBakes said:

My time with the Fabia is coming to an end, and it's been nigh on 4 years of trouble free motoring so I decided to stick with Skoda for the family upgrade to a 7 seater.

I've gone for a 1.5TSI SE-L DSG, added on Virtual Cockpit, ACC, LED Interior Pack & Triglav Black Alloys.. but I'm undecided on the colour! 

Can't decide between Black Magic Pearl or Quartz Grey. I was originally going to go with Meteor Grey but I think that suits the SportLine bodykit more than the SE-L, after seeing a Black Magic Pearl in the dealer I went with that on the order but looking online the Quartz Grey is catching my eye. There aren't that many Kodiaq's around here so not got much to go on.

Opinions on the Quartz Grey? If anyone has a picture of their SE-L in Quartz Grey or Black Magic then I'd be very much interested in seeing them!

Funny that. I went with your original choice with the black Triglav alloys. Personally I love the colour but it a real marmite choice. Some love it, some hate. Its the time in 30 years of motoring though that complete strangers have remarked on how they like the colour. I have owned various greys, black, silver, red and blue. Bottom line, pick whatever colour you prefer.

20190705_173355.thumb.jpg.a67f2e088a97850f7c9f9bd7f0b9f2b8.jpg

1 hour ago, Sprite0 said:

Funny that. I went with your original choice with the black Triglav alloys. Personally I love the colour but it a real marmite choice. Some love it, some hate. Its the time in 30 years of motoring though that complete strangers have remarked on how they like the colour. I have owned various greys, black, silver, red and blue. Bottom line, pick whatever colour you prefer.

20190705_173355.thumb.jpg.a67f2e088a97850f7c9f9bd7f0b9f2b8.jpg

Nice 1, thanks for completely turning my head 😂

Do you have any more pics you can post from different angles? It looks pretty good with the trim

1 hour ago, DBakes said:

That's settled then. Order updated to Meteor Grey.

Thanks all for your input and opinions 👍

Nice!  didn't get a chance to take a photo of mine sorry, but sounds like it's not required!