SatNav traffic?

Got my 2020 vRS last Friday with Amundsun head unit. Fantastic system and the mirroring works really well so I can use Google Maps this way, but I'd prefer to somehow get traffic onto the OEM satnav as the screen is better, the voice less annoying and you get nav instructions on the maxidot. Is there any way to use my mobile (iPhone 7 on EE) to provide the data connection to get "proper" (as opposed to TMC) traffic info to the OEM satnav? If it's relevant, I'm getting a little red globe on the screen too . . .

Cheers

Rob

Sorry when I say mirroring, I mean Apple Car Play!

OK, so played around with the head unit extensively last night, tried WLAN connection with my iPhone on EE and it just kept on saying "no data connection" when I tried to activate it. I eventually did manage to get it to sort of activate, but nothing was available and Skoda Connect was unable to connect due to no data connection. It seemed to get even more fussy if I connected my 'phone with a cable (which I do as it allows for Car Play). 

Any ideas anyone? I have read a bit about conflicts existing between EE/Iphones and Skoda Connect, but most posts are well over a year old if not older and one would hope (!) any issues had been resolved by now.

Cheers

Rob

2 hours ago, yashicamat_returns said:

OK, so played around with the head unit extensively last night, tried WLAN connection with my iPhone on EE and it just kept on saying "no data connection" when I tried to activate it. I eventually did manage to get it to sort of activate, but nothing was available and Skoda Connect was unable to connect due to no data connection. It seemed to get even more fussy if I connected my 'phone with a cable (which I do as it allows for Car Play). 

Any ideas anyone? I have read a bit about conflicts existing between EE/Iphones and Skoda Connect, but most posts are well over a year old if not older and one would hope (!) any issues had been resolved by now.

Cheers

Rob

I know some have reported issues trying to get working tethered/hotspot connections from the infotainment to phones with EE sims. I have phone with hotspot/tethering perm activiated in the car using giffgaff(o2) generally without problem.

If you have home wifi.. connect up the infotainment in the car to this parked at home to try to get the skoda connect activated this way and test it out. You need the WLAN globe to turn white to indicate its got an internet connection basically.

If you are in the hotspot page in Settings or if you pull down and hold wifi there's a toggle there to turn on hotspot for me it worked well to connect up that way on Three but as mentioned above some people with iPhones and EE sims have had particular problems, there's a couple of threads on here I think but I'm not sure on the outcome.

FWIW I didn't extend once my free subscription ran out, much preferring to use CarPlay (I use Google Maps, the missus prefers Apple Maps, I haven't missed TomTom since letting that expire). Worth trying it out those as you've got it included.

Mmm I have got the white globe icon sometimes (other times I get WLAN showing there). Not sure exactly what is going on. To be honest, I'd live with Google Maps navigation via CarPlay if the voice was less irritating (it sounds like it came out of the Windows voice emulator from the 90s!) and the nav updates came through on the maxidot.

3 hours ago, yashicamat_returns said:

Mmm I have got the white globe icon sometimes (other times I get WLAN showing there). Not sure exactly what is going on. To be honest, I'd live with Google Maps navigation via CarPlay if the voice was less irritating (it sounds like it came out of the Windows voice emulator from the 90s!) and the nav updates came through on the maxidot.

Hence I suggested (as you appear to have a proper internet connection from your phone but you said it doesn't activate/work) to try the home wifi trick to activate skoda connect first if you can.

1 hour ago, yashicamat_returns said:

Cheers, I'll try that although it did show as activated at one point (although when I tapped skoda connect it said no data connection) and I have had an email saying it's activated too . . . nice, the subscription has started but without the service!

Rob

Ok so maybe it did work and activate just fine. I remember mine once it activated it worked immediately. Try using the connect app to send a destination to the nav. Once you get the white globe it should auto import the online destination as it calls it.

Edited by Scotty72

I have a car MiFi (plugs into the 12v socket) and I regularly get the white globe & WLAN, but Skoda Connect still won't connect. To be honest I've given up on Skoda Connect, I generally use CarPlay and Waze.