New Kodiaq VED First Year Rate increase from 01/04/2020 *BEWARE*

Carkus

Just found out from the lease company that i've placed my order for a new kodiaq with, that any new skoda kodiaq 1.5 TSI (and probably the other engines aswell but haven't looked into their emissions band) delivered after 01/04/2020 will have a first year rate of £855 as from 01/04/2020 its now based on the combined WLTP emissions. They've managed to source me another Kodiaq that already has a build date with expected delivery mid march to beat the £855 extra charge that would be passed to me.

I originally ordered a 1.5 TSI DSG SEL in the base energy blue with optional leather upholster, reverse camera and triglav alloys. This hadn't even been allocated a build week yet so was unlikely to be here before 01/04/2020.

The one they have managed to secure me which already has a build date is also a 1.5 TSI DSG SEL in metallic petrol blue, with optional leather interior, spare wheel with tool kit and triglav alloys, slightly more expensive with the amendment fee to change car and the monthly payment increase works out to be an extra £486 over the term, but i suppose that's better than £855 extra!

Be warned anyone ordering a new one, i never knew about this before now and took alot of scouring the net to find the information as it hasn't been well publicised, i couldn't find any information anywhere until i stumbled accross a PDF document from the gov.uk site which has it listed https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/review-of-wltp-and-vehicle-taxes

but according to these 2 sources :

OLD RATES

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty/vehicle-excise-duty

NEW RATES

https://www.sandicliffe.co.uk/car-road-tax-vehicle-excise-duty-increases-april-2020

a petrol car which will be £855 for the first year in the new rules was already going to be £800 in the old rules (the 171-190 group) so the increase is just £55

Just now, Wet Kipper said:

but according to these 2 sources :

OLD RATES

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty/vehicle-excise-duty

NEW RATES

https://www.sandicliffe.co.uk/car-road-tax-vehicle-excise-duty-increases-april-2020

a petrol car which will be £855 for the first year in the new rules was already going to be £800 in the old rules (the 171-190 group) so the increase is just £55

If delivery was before 01/04/2020 it was only going to be £210 first year rate as it was based on old style emissions bands. From April 2020 it's based on new WLTP emission levels.

Under the old rules the Kodiaq 1.5 TSI DSG had CO2 emissions of 136 g/km band H only carried a first year rate of £210 and nothing more. Under new rules from April 2020 the WLTP combined emissions takes it up to 164 g/km band J which comes with a levy of £855 for the first year

In Sweden we had this change from 1/1 2020. My car (registered 23/12 2019) have a tax cost at about 545 GBP each year from year 1 to 3 and then down to 266 GBP from year 4 and forwards. The same car registered after 1/1 2020 has a tax cost at 962 GBP each year from year 1 to 3 and 388 GBP from year 4 and forwards.

When you build the car on Skoda's site configurator it comes out with this at the end. Think some people will get a surprise when they turn round and say, err you owe us an extra £645 as it'll be delivered in April (or after)

Total price

Price
Basic price (including paint)
£31,225
Optional equipment
£500
Delivery cost and first registration fee
£665
Vehicle Excise Duty (VED)
£210
Recommended OTR
£32,600

If I agree a price with a dealer, i.e. the £32,600 above, I sign the contract, then that is what I am paying.

Similar issues have been discussed on here before, usually on list price increases and their forever varying quarterly finance incentives. Skoda nearly always end up absorbing the difference.

Skoda are well within their rights to cancel the contract and refund you your deposit, but this is unlikely for a few hundred pounds.

The issue here is lease companies are brokers, and their margins are tight. They therefore have much less scope to absorb costs that are passed onto them from the manufacturers or government, so it all heads the customers way.

Edited by silver1011

Hi Carcus

you are 100% correct on what you say. I have sourced a car for pre-Apr ref to avoid the ‘showroom tax’ increase.

Under the new WLTP rates the 1.5TSi DSG increases from 136 to 171g/km so will be £855 from £210. The lease companies I spoke to before committing weren’t aware until I prompted them. Škoda considers this to be a government tax so the increase is payable by the customer not them. 

1 hour ago, Darren_P said:

Hi Carcus

you are 100% correct on what you say. I have sourced a car for pre-Apr ref to avoid the ‘showroom tax’ increase.

Under the new WLTP rates the 1.5TSi DSG increases from 136 to 171g/km so will be £855 from £210. The lease companies I spoke to before committing weren’t aware until I prompted them. Škoda considers this to be a government tax so the increase is payable by the customer not them. 

Exactly what I was told by my broker. It's a government increase so the cost has to be passed on to the buyer. But I've had confirmation that the car should be at the dealer in 3-4 weeks. I'm just hoping it either arrives on or after 01/03 or if it arrives before, they dont register it until 01/03 so I can get a new 20 plate haha

Also for me - the list price increased between ordering and delivery

The dealer / Skoda honoured the quoted price - but the the value at registration was the new price (not the price I paid) and this took the car with options over the 40K mark...  so I ended up with the higher road tax for 4 years - or is it 5?

13 hours ago, SimonAudi said:

Also for me - the list price increased between ordering and delivery

The dealer / Skoda honoured the quoted price - but the the value at registration was the new price (not the price I paid) and this took the car with options over the 40K mark...  so I ended up with the higher road tax for 4 years - or is it 5?

If it is a Skoda price change after ordering, you pay price at order date 

If it is tax or duty change, then its usually your problem (this is usually in the standard terms and conditions) as it says will be applied at rate prevailing on sale date

Even the price list (VED page) has small print saying apply at time of publication and may change

https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/3e093830-7c35-4201-80df-46ea5b7aec1d/SKODA_KODIAQ_Interactive_Brochure_01FEB20.5a7e243e1f068ce6fcace60f9031f601.pdf

However I do agree, for a price list dated February 2020, would have been nice to see 2 columns, for delivery by 31st March, and from 1st April 2020

Edited by SurreyJohn

23 hours ago, Carkus said:

Under the old rules the Kodiaq 1.5 TSI DSG had CO2 emissions of 136 g/km...   the WLTP combined emissions takes it up to 164 g/km

19 hours ago, Darren_P said:

Under the new WLTP rates the 1.5TSi DSG increases from 136 to 171g/km...

Just wondering the source for those WLTP Co2 figures - I don't see them listed on Skoda's PDF or website.   ( I can only see the NEDC stats).

You guys appear to have quoted two different figures for the same car?

I can't find figures for UK Karoq but found out by searching that in Denmark, the equivelent model ( I assume similar spec ) to my own goes from 124g/km to 155g/km. At current rates that's a potential increase from £170 to £530 :crying:

And the SMMT are worried about declining car sales! This isn't going to help.

Great post by the way...  I knew there was a change coming but assumed the WLTP figures would be similar / have resulted in just a small increase.

Edited by Guest
Clarity

6 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Just wondering the source for those WLTP Co2 figures - I don't see them listed on Skoda's PDF or website.   ( I can only see the NEDC stats).

You guys appear to have quoted two different figures for the same car?

I got my figure from this site through google https://www.grange.co.uk/technical-data/skoda/kodiaq/1.5-tsi-se-5dr-dsg 

If you go onto skoda's website and go to build a car, on the right hand side below the price its got CO2 and a green arrow, click on CO2 and scroll down on the window that opens for the WLTP figures. for the 6 speed manual the combined WLTP is 164 g/km, the DSG version is 171 g/km WLTP

Apologies. I am on holiday at the moment without my laptop so don’t have the pdf of the data sheet or the transcript of the Škoda UK live chat available that confirmed this.

Also, If this model was 1g/km lower at 170g/km it would have dropped into the lower band and would be over £300 less. 

9D883DA3-7C1B-45B9-981F-D33116403D64.png

Also whilst I think about it.....if you are not aware, the WLTP CO2 calculation is more complicated than NEDC.

WLTP is calculated due to a number of factors including wheel size, aerodynamics and weight. If you take a standard car and load it up with factory options, e.g. wheel size, sunroof or tow bar etc that alter the calculation, the WLTP value will be different for YOUR CAR vs the standard car. 

The Škoda UK configurator appears to calculate the WLTP CO2 value as you complete the spec of your configured car. This CO2 is what will determine the tax band not the standard model’s CO2. 

This is worth knowing if your car is borderline between the tax bands and you specify lots of options as it could tip it over into a higher band. 

4 hours ago, Carkus said:

I got my figure from this site through google https://www.grange.co.uk/technical-data/skoda/kodiaq/1.5-tsi-se-5dr-dsg 

If you go onto skoda's website and go to build a car, on the right hand side below the price its got CO2 and a green arrow, click on CO2 and scroll down on the window that opens for the WLTP figures. for the 6 speed manual the combined WLTP is 164 g/km, the DSG version is 171 g/km WLTP

:thumbup:  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My Man has promised to register my replacement on 31March to beat the price hike.

Fingers crossed.

As it is allegedly in UK already I do hope to preview it in dealer’s back yard sometime in March ahead of the changeover.

It will be interesting making the swap over as “end date” is 6 April.

It would certainly leave a nasty taste if one were unexpectedly stung for several hundreds of pounds extra for VED under the the new rules - which are rather confusing.

As per one of the above threads, I have struggled to find a clear definition of the actual “CO2” level for the vehicles under the new rules. I only see multiple figures on the the Skoda UK pages.

• 1 month later...

The DVLA Confirmation of Registration Details slip that arrived in my new car 2 days ago confirms that my “dirty 190 diesel” is rated at 145 g/km.

The VED List Price is listed at £39,475, which is a mere £135 more than the Skoda online build I created last year.

First reg fee was £55 and the Duty paid for year 1 was £530.

All integrated into the agreed PCH price of course.

38EF9ED8-25AC-4DC1-9835-AD2336DF1EBC.png

On 26/03/2020 at 13:47, BoxerBoy said:

The DVLA Confirmation of Registration Details slip that arrived in my new car 2 days ago confirms that my “dirty 190 diesel” is rated at 145 g/km.

First reg fee was £55 and the Duty paid for year 1 was £530.

I didn't realise that. I thought the 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG SE-L was 147g/km which means it should have been £210. It rises to £530 only if the diesel doesn't meet RDE2 standards. I assumed Skoda's 2.0tdi did meet those standards - I was obviously wrong.

Under the system to be introduced next week, the Co2 rises to 184g/km which equates to £1280 1st year tax.  :sweat:

Holy **** !

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Scot5 said:

I didn't realise that. I thought the 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG SE-L was 147g/km which means it should have been £210. It rises to £530 only if the diesel doesn't meet RDE2 standards. I assumed Skoda's 2.0tdi did meet those standards - I was obviously wrong.

Under the system to be introduced next week, the Co2 rises to 184g/km which equates to £1280 1st year tax.  :sweat:

Holy **** !

Pretty much every car is being bumped up 2 brackets

i have had to pay the additional £600 for my new lease through Skoda Dealer. they either said add it to the monthly or pay upfront. I am going to Pay upfront. Hopefully car still arrives on the 1st week of June.