New cam belt and water pump

Might be a daft question,  but today I've had my cam belt and water pump changed,  I've got a greenline 1.6tdi 15 plate. The acceleration is better and engine performance is smooth. I know the timing would of been done but blimey its quick now. Is the norm ?

Most probably, always remember that my old Seat TDI 1.9, ike the day it came off the forecourt.  Things drift/stretch out over time,  even with engine management  controls it'll be keeping it within tolerance but not necessarily as good as was from the off and it'll all be sweet as nut now.

Even after a major service of oil and all the filters on my old car i could notice it feeling more lively. 

12 hours ago, shaunc07 said:

Might be a daft question,  but today I've had my cam belt and water pump changed,  I've got a greenline 1.6tdi 15 plate. The acceleration is better and engine performance is smooth. I know the timing would of been done but blimey its quick now. Is the norm ?

How many miles has your Octavia done? 

3 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Forget the mileage, change every 5 years or 160k miles whichever comes 1st

5 years old so had I done yesterday, feels so good and responsive now. 

On 08/02/2020 at 11:56, themanwithnoaim said:

Forget the mileage, change every 5 years or 160k miles whichever comes 1st

Forget the mileage?  It only took four more words before you contradicted yourself :D

I'm putting money on this being purely* subjective, but then I'm a cynic that believes humans are exquisitely good at fooling ourselves and terrible at being objective.

*Ok, maybe half a percent gain from reduced friction or similar, but nothing significant.

Edited by Jono
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jono said:

I'm putting money on this being purely* subjective, but then I'm a cynic that believes humans are exquisitely good at fooling ourselves and terrible at being objective.

*Ok, maybe half a percent gain from reduced friction or similar, but nothing significant.

Planned Preventative Maintenance it's not rocket science. Mean Time Between Failure was established in 60's

It's not *all* about you mate ;)

I should probably have made it clear I was responding to Shaun and Paulski's suggestion that a service and new oil makes the car feel noticeably faster.

Indeed difficult to know whether it's the placebo effect, nor does anyone put a car on a rolling road before and after a service, however I do think that the tolerances could well be closer to specification (mechanically) and therefore ecu data could also be more In tune to data expected still within a tolerance range. 

On on my old 1.9 oil burner, both cambelt and torsion settings did make it "feel" more responsive. Moving the torsion values (checked via vcds) could only be achieved mechanically yet the improved "feel" of the car was ultimately down to the ecu and what data it is receiving from the multiple sensors used to propel it along.

Phew that took some thought! 

• Like 1