Removing a wheel - stuck

steeve

Flat rear tyre due to large nail. Alloy wheels, jacked it up, removed the 5 bolts, but the wheel isn't moving at all, not even turning - is that normal? 

Went online and found that it's common for the wheel to be seized, so tried removing the jack, rocking the car, even rolling her down hill a few feet, finally hitting from the underside with a mallet, all to no avail. 

The fact that the wheel is not even turning when jacked up is making me think that perhaps I'm missing something really obvious? 

Otherwise, is there anything else I can do?

1 hour ago, steeve said:

the wheel isn't moving at all, not even turning

Daft question - Is the handbrake on?

Not quite as daft question - Am I reading this right, as the wheel will neither rotate nor come off?

Two BIG FEET, once jacked up ,use the flat of your feet to bang it one side then the other, you will be sitting down while you do this, wearing heavy boots help, not hob nail. Worked for me in the past.

• Like 1

Glad you finally got it off.

The wheel not turning is a good thing. This means the car is in gear and the handbrake is on, thus all four wheels are locked and reducing the likelihood of the car rolling off the jack.

10 hours ago, steeve said:

Flat rear tyre due to large nail. Alloy wheels, jacked it up, removed the 5 bolts, but the wheel isn't moving at all, not even turning - is that normal? 

Went online and found that it's common for the wheel to be seized, so tried removing the jack, rocking the car, even rolling her down hill a few feet, finally hitting from the underside with a mallet, all to no avail. 

The fact that the wheel is not even turning when jacked up is making me think that perhaps I'm missing something really obvious? 

Otherwise, is there anything else I can do?

You did put the bolts back in before you removed the jack?

I haven’t used this tip, but it may be worth a try one day - “slacken all the bolts a bit then roll the car and hit the brakes.”

As you discovered, judicious kicking, hammering and swearing eventually gets the wheel off. While well supported on a proper jack of course.

As a youngster I almost rocked my Morris Minor off the scissor jack. And many years later an angry hammer swing put a little dent in a Lupo while removing a stuck wheel.

And did you grease the the centre spigot when refitting the wheel?

ps - only noticed the thread above when I’d finished 👍

Edited by BoxerBoy

Easy way to fix this problem. With the car on the ground, slacken off all the bolts on the wheel with the flat tyre, probably about 1 turn on each. Then drive the car slowly so the wheels do a couple of revolutions forward then back. Thus will unstick the wheel from the hub.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, paulhipwood said:

To prevent this in the future , put a smear of grease on the mating face of the hub before putting the wheel back on.

Wish the 'professionals' took such preventative measures to whom we trust our pride and joy..