ECU Troubles

Flopsy

My brother has a Mk 2 Fabia Estate 1400 85hp registered November 2008 and has been having engine problems.It started in September last year when the car started losing power, eventually stopping: no warning lights came on and after the Green Flag technician had connected his diagnostic kit up the fault code PO685 was displayed . After a while the car started  and they went home. This fault kept returning and the local Skoda dealer had no interest whatsoever in the fault code found by Green Flag. Long story short, the dealer has eventually replaced the ECU with what they say is a compatible VW part . I have attached a picture of the 'new?' part and would like to know if it is fully compatible with my brother's car. The car seem to be running OK but he lacks the confidence to make any long trips in case he ends up at the roadside again. 

If the part isn't the best will the correct spares be available anywhere at all please?

IMG_20200214_145418[1].jpg

5 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

The Dealership must guarantee their work and parts supplied.

Is it a New part or a 'used' ECU they fitted & did your brother pay or was it some warranty cover?

He paid alright, about £600: as for whether it's new or second hand we don't know. I have a Mk 3 and have warned him that i don't trust this dealership; I bought my last car thru Drive the Deal after this dealership offered me a poor deal on my Mk 3. I had previously bought a new Mk 2 from them and was trying to trade up to a new Mk 3 but their offer was insulting: they also ripped me off on service charges. Webuyanycar and Drive the Deal save me over £1400.

Is it a 5-speed manual gearbox car?

If so, I suspect this is exactly the right part. To confirm, your brother needs to look at the data sticker on the boot floor, or in the service book.  He needs to see BXW for the engine code.

See the tenth line here https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2008-608/9/906-906000/#1 Matching part number  03C906024B

That unit photographed appears to be ten years old, judging by the date in the top right corner of the label.  That doesn't mean it's secondhand, necessarily, just that it was built on that date.  It looks a bit too clean and shiny to have been used before, I think.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

From the description 2008 1400 85hp I'd reckon that matches the BXW which was 86PS or maybe 85PS in some marques.

Sometimes you can't equate only being offered a low price when going in to replace a car bought as being any more than just that, prices changes with used car demand and new car prices similarly, I've never found any loyalty being handed out for a return visit to purchase, luck of the draw.