Light steering on Fabia 2

briscaF1

Just before Xmas I put some new tyres on my better half's 2014 TSI combi. They were Hankook K425s, just the same as what was on before. When I drove it back from the tyre place (which I've been using for years), I thought the steering felt a bit light but assumed it was the new tyres and that they'd sort themselves out.

I haven't driven the car much since then but did the other day and the steering was still very light, to the point that I was worried going into bends on a frosty morning as it felt like there was the little feedback when you're on ice although it stopped alright during a later brake check.

A mate of mine looked over the car as the MOT is soon and said it was all OK and checked the tyres because I'd mentioned it. He said they seemed to be OK but that there might be a bit of a ridge in the middle but he might have been imagining it because of me prompting him about it. I dropped the tyre pressure to 30 in the fronts and it seems better.

I asked my partner if she'd had any comments on the steering and she thought it was fine.

Anything else I ought to check?

Thanks in advance.

There is no TPMS on her car. I've never come out of the tyre place with incorrect tyre pressures before (the usual guy there sorted them out) and when they were checked the other day, they had 33 in which would be about right.

@briscaF1

Sorry, it was January 2015 before all new cars must have TPMS as standard.

I thought by 2014 Skoda had them on all Fabia's.

33 ps is not that high really if that was what the tyres had in them.

?

What were the tyres that were on before the new ones were fitted?

The steering assist can be reset for more or less assistance, but not really by mistake you have to plug in to change it from factory settings, so not relevant.

No probs.

I used to put 2.2 (31) or 2.4 (34) bar in depending on loading so 33 would have been ok.

I'll keep an eye on it. It might be just feel as my 2017 combi seems to have heavier steering and when I swap between cars, I notice it more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

No probs.

I used to put 2.2 (31) or 2.4 (34) bar in depending on loading so 33 would have been ok.

I'll keep an eye on it. It might be just feel as my 2017 combi seems to have heavier steering and when I swap between cars, I notice it more.

that is what i thought...making a comparison...your tyre pressures and steering gear might be the variables..

when i set my tyre pressures usually after seeing they were a bit low...the steering does seem a bit lighter

i use a garage air machine..so??

what do you check with

Used one for years. I periodically check it vs  digital gauges when tyres are inflated and it's always the same.  Unlikely that different digital gauges/my gauge are all inaccurate to the same extent as the same time, don't you think?

Edited by briscaF1
  • Like 1

i have one of those little slider ones as well....its yonks old but the idea to check it against the garage forecourt digital is a good clue to how much variation there is...

what is the most accurate hand held one to buy...??

cheers

geof

I suspect the dial gauges are probably better if they are a decent make. My slider is very repeatable and as long as it's within 1 psi i'm not particularly bothered as it's not like I'm running a NASCAR.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, briscaF1 said:

I suspect the dial gauges are probably better if they are a decent make. My slider is very repeatable and as long as it's within 1 psi i'm not particularly bothered as it's not like I'm running a NASCAR.

i must agree to this...considering advice on over inflating as being just as bad or worse perhaps,  than slightly under inflating (winter and snow call for this)...with my "racing" tyres i am happy if i keep under 33 and at least 21...

i dont check mine a lot except for long journeys or when i get a "nudge" after looking at the "sag" on the fronts..as they flex more

loading for the tyres is also a bit of a guess...do i go for 2 people 4 people 4 people and luggage...and then reset every time i change mode

now that i have stuck my neck out about my lack of attention...i will go and check them today...

cheers

geof

Edited by mrcrow