Tyre rotation

RickW

My Fabia has done 11,000 miles from new

(15 months old). Is it time to rotate tyres?

I've seen the following advice,what do you think?

Screenshot_20200221-231319_Gallery.jpg

Edited by RickW
Spelling

Good idea to rotate, my personal preference is nearer 14000 miles (the logic being will have similar wear on all 4 tyres at 28000 miles, which is often around the time when some are likely to be getting below 3mm tread). Of course the exact wear rate will depend on how spirited you drive, and quality of road service.

If it is a lease on PCP May be able to hand back without buying any new tyres.  Regardless of this, below 3mm tread, grip in rain falls drastically so although legal limit is a low 1.6mm, I would recommend changing when under 3mm (unless you only drive when dry)

If you have directional tyres (it will have word rotation and arrow on the markings) then front-back, as can’t change sides.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, abaxas said:

Rotation is fine but NEVER have more tread on the front than the rears as this can cause oversteer, which is exactly what you don't want.

I agree that that is correct in fact, but in reality, the only reason the advice is to swop tyres over is to even up wear - and swapping can't work for front wheel drive cars while conforming with that "front must always have less tread depth than rear" - once again the "experts" from the trade and driving safety, have not got things quite right!

Edit:- me being one of the minority of people who seem to feel the need to use summer or winter tyres/wheels as the season dictates, I always measure the tread depth on removal so know from records where to refit the tyres to so that I even out the wear, I'd never ever refit anything that was getting low on tread depth, that would have been taken care of soon after swopping these wheels off the car.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, abaxas said:

Rotation is fine but NEVER have more tread on the front than the rears as this can cause oversteer, which is exactly what you don't want.

The fronts wear down more so it is likely that you will do. It is a can of worms where you place new of the best tyres. I am still old school and put them on the front. The front wheels steer, do most of the breaking (due to weight transfer) and put the power down on the road. In the wet they are the first to hit and clear water. Rear wheels/tyres are just casters.

If you rotate the wheels/tyres to get even tread, initially they will be higher on front, but will wear down so they have the same or less tread on the front.

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well physics and common sense tells you do not put rubbish tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car.

But be sure to have good tyres with tread on the front for traction, steering, braking.

If someone actually does lose the rear end because the drive like a bell end then being able to steer and keep out of a ditch or oncoming traffic is simply clever and when the ABS is working you want thosew front tyres to have grip.  The esp will be fine at the rear as long as there is decent tread.

Moving mis-shaped front tyres to the rear might not be the smartest move.

As moving the rears from a Fabia to the front.

Take a look at those rear tyres. See just how out of shape they can actually get because of the 'Not Multi Link rear Suspension'.  Its just Motor Engineering.

7 hours ago, abaxas said:

There are all sorts of theories, and this is one of them.  Rather depends on how worn front vs back is.  Not worth worrying about if all tyres have at least 4-5mm tread (unless you drive like a racing driver)

But I agree rear could be rather lively if only 2mm of tread on back and front have loads of tread.