Octavia vRS 2.0 TSI Mark3 “modes”

Thinking of getting the car chipped to a stage 1 as already playing for it on insurance 

Superchips seems a good option if I want to abort. Concerns are traction as not great in the wet stock.

To the question.. if you apply a new map, how does that impact the “sport, normal and ego” modes etc?

Just now, springtide said:

Thinking of getting the car chipped to a stage 1 as already playing for it on insurance 

Superchips seems a good option if I want to abort. Concerns are traction as not great in the wet stock.

To the question.. if you apply a new map, how does that impact the “sport, normal and ego” modes etc?

I mean eco modes not ego!

• 1 month later...

Old post, however if you're still considering it, its best to post to the forum for your car, not here.

Anyway, avoid any 'tuner' like super chips that gives you a box that attaches to your car. These are garbage, and only alter fuelling and the turbo by tricking the ECU. Making a good ECU map involves changing MANY parameters inside the ECU, and isn't simple. These boxes are the worst option for this, as they simply can't alter all the options they need to. If they were cheap it would make sense, but these companies are charging as much as a proper map nowadays, what's the point?

Go for a good company like Revo - https://www.onlyrevo.com the figures are absolutely brilliant, around 300hp+ for your car with just a remap. Stage 2 with a nice exhaust, and you can get even more, as well as overrun if that's your cup of tea. I cant comment on whether it affects the modes, you'd need to check with the REVO dealer. Traction wont be great in a FWD car with 300HP but that's more of a question of having good tyres.

Failing that, Celtic Tuning are good and come to your doorstep.

Edited by sakta

5 hours ago, sakta said:

Old post, however if you're still considering it, its best to post to the forum for your car, not here.

Anyway, avoid any 'tuner' like super chips that gives you a box that attaches to your car. These are garbage, and only alter fuelling and the turbo by tricking the ECU. Making a good ECU map involves changing MANY parameters inside the ECU, and isn't simple. These boxes are the worst option for this, as they simply can't alter all the options they need to. If they were cheap it would make sense, but these companies are charging as much as a proper map nowadays, what's the point?

Go for a good company like Revo - https://www.onlyrevo.com the figures are absolutely brilliant, around 300hp+ for your car with just a remap. Stage 2 with a nice exhaust, and you can get even more, as well as overrun if that's your cup of tea. I cant comment on whether it affects the modes, you'd need to check with the REVO dealer. Traction wont be great in a FWD car with 300HP but that's more of a question of having good tyres.

Failing that, Celtic Tuning are good and come to your doorstep.

I believe Superchips is a map, done either as a visit or via their programming tool.. but it is a generic map.

The appeal of Superchips is it backs up current map so you can switch back.. e.g. I think it might be useful to run a standard map over the winter when traction might be an issue with FWD.

im leaning towards keeping it stock as it’s not as if you can use the stock power the majority of the time anyway!  Even less so during current times!

1 hour ago, springtide said:

I believe Superchips is a map, done either as a visit or via their programming tool.. but it is a generic map.

The appeal of Superchips is it backs up current map so you can switch back.. e.g. I think it might be useful to run a standard map over the winter when traction might be an issue with FWD.

im leaning towards keeping it stock as it’s not as if you can use the stock power the majority of the time anyway!  Even less so during current times!

Revo do a remote where you can select maps, so for example stock, low boost, high boost etc :) 

I can’t really comment on usability, I only have a PD130 vrs lol.

• 1 month later...

If you do go for a Revo map stage 1 ,all the development work has been done,and you can use any mode, eco normal and sport. Best to use a quality fuel 98 Ron. Also if you keep your right foot hard on acceleration,it will wheel spin!! But a stage 1 gives you 300bhp more than enough!

• Confused 1

Thanks all.

i think I’ll go with a Revo map once things open back up.

i have a manual gearbox and have read the clutch doesn’t last long with a standard stage 1, but Revo offer a map for manuals with reduced torque for this very reason 🙂

thanks again

I spoke to Revo and others, about this same issues,and was told that it's not essential!! I do know on the dsg if you do upgrade it can be put into second and off you go. !!?? 0/60 mph is a second quicker,plus your speed limiter comes off soo 155 +

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 08:26, springtide said:

Thanks all.

i think I’ll go with a Revo map once things open back up.

i have a manual gearbox and have read the clutch doesn’t last long with a standard stage 1, but Revo offer a map for manuals with reduced torque for this very reason 🙂

thanks again

Not quite true my manual gearbox was fine upto 29,000 miles when I sold it to buy a Superb and no clutch slip despite 517nm of torque and 336bhp. Indicated maximum speed rose from limited 155mph to indicated 168mph at stage 1 and a frankly scary 177mph at stage 2.:happy:

• 1 month later...
On 01/06/2020 at 11:54, shyVRS245 said:

Not quite true my manual gearbox was fine upto 29,000 miles when I sold it to buy a Superb and no clutch slip despite 517nm of torque and 336bhp. Indicated maximum speed rose from limited 155mph to indicated 168mph at stage 1 and a frankly scary 177mph at stage 2.:happy:

Your manual clutch coped with that?

I'm thinking they're not a bad clutch as everyone makes out, it's just the way some of these young lads and ladettes drive them. Obviously doing drag races and the like are going to burn the clutch out faster than normal. If you just drive normally and not like a chav then they should be ok, right? Not just plant your right foot down everytime you see some open road, but let it build up.

36 minutes ago, DC04R said:

Your manual clutch coped with that?

I'm thinking they're not a bad clutch as everyone makes out, it's just the way some of these young lads and ladettes drive them. Obviously doing drag races and the like are going to burn the clutch out faster than normal. If you just drive normally and not like a chav then they should be ok, right? Not just plant your right foot down everytime you see some open road, but let it build up.

Yep even did a couple of track days but I don't do Grand Prix starts at traffic lights. Always tried to feed in the power and torque. 345lb/ft at 2,000rpm gives good in-gear poke.:whew:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Yep even did a couple of track days but I don't do Grand Prix starts at traffic lights. Always tried to feed in the power and torque. 345lb/ft at 2,000rpm gives good in-gear poke.:whew:

Getting my JB4 installed tomorrow so was a bit worried it'd result in me needing a clutch (cos I always said if I have to get a clutch done I'm getting an LSD at the same time so save labour, isn't man maths great). So I should be ok eh?

Jb4 with the custom map 6 on a VRs 230 with the intake/elbow etc should see almost 300 do you reckon?

5 minutes ago, DC04R said:

Getting my JB4 installed tomorrow so was a bit worried it'd result in me needing a clutch (cos I always said if I have to get a clutch done I'm getting an LSD at the same time so save labour, isn't man maths great). So I should be ok eh?

Jb4 with the custom map 6 on a VRs 230 with the intake/elbow etc should see almost 300 do you reckon?

My stage 1 on the 245 was 302bhp and 467nm so you should be in that ballpark. As long as you are not 17 years old with zits and wear a baseball cap the wrong way round you will be just fine.:thumbup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DC04R said:

If you go with a quality mapping company, you should see over 300bhp. I have just mapped my car with Racingline OEM maps. Stock power was shown on the rolling road as above Skoda figures and after the stage one map the car achieved 329bhp with 499nm or torque. There are no other hardware mods on the car either. The guy who mapped the car did say I had an extremely healthy car to start with. Bloomin thing really does shift now, very enjoyable, as well as useful at times.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

If you go with a quality mapping company, you should see over 300bhp. I have just mapped my car with Racingline OEM maps. Stock power was shown on the rolling road as above Skoda figures and after the stage one map the car achieved 329bhp with 499nm or torque. There are no other hardware mods on the car either. The guy who mapped the car did say I had an extremely healthy car to start with. Bloomin thing really does shift now, very enjoyable, as well as useful at times.

Thought I'd try a JB4 first, as if I don't like it (I'm a VTEC bummer, so torque feels weird and makes me paranoid something's gonna break, I actually sold my R26 megane after mapping as it felt like something was going to go bang, despite having been mapped by one of the country's best mappers, Chris @ EFI) I can sell it on. Plus it's removable for warranty.

Taking it to Shak at LSG in Bolton. He's supposedly the main man for Jb4.

Edited by DC04R
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

Just seen yours is an identical car - manual FL 230. So no issues with your clutch? Reassuring. Is MPG any better? Not that it is bad anyway for what it is.

At stage 1 we went to the Isle of Wight and it used just 36 litres for 360 miles @45mpg. Averaged just over 40mpg over the 29,000 total miles it covered including 14,000 miles running stage 2 with 336bhp and 517nm (380lb/ft @2,600rpm).:thumbup:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DC04R said:

Just seen yours is an identical car - manual FL 230. So no issues with your clutch? Reassuring. Is MPG any better? Not that it is bad anyway for what it is.

It's early days yet with the clutch, but at the moment no clutch slip. As for mileage, I did a 200 mile round trip the other day to Stanstead airport from Didcot. Bit of country road and then motorway. The on board computer showed an average of of 41mpg. In other words, no better than I would expect, but certainly no worse.

Edited by roaddetective
  • Like 1