Passenger side exterior front door handle problom?

Car is 2017 superb mk3 sportline.

My passenger side front  door will not open from the outside ,the handle will pull out about half the normal travel and then gets very stiff ,If I pull harder I think I will break something!

Opens fine from the interior though,Ive taken the exterior handle off and sprayed some spray grease on the mechanism but made no difference.

Anybody have this problom ? Will I have to remove the door card to see what's up ?

Edited by SportlineBri
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry,  don't have any proper answers but same thing happened to me. The handle did pull out completely.  I greased it on the plastic part which hooks onto the rest of the lock mechanism and put it all back together. It worked but it happened again shortly after this. I've become an expert at removing the door handle now. I noticed when putting it back on the action is completely smooth until I fit the smaller part of the handle which seems to make it tighter.  It's worked fine for a few days now but I'm waiting for the 'what's going on here?' expression from someone attempting to get in as normal. Called a dealer but they said they weren't aware of any issue like this. 'Grease it or book it in with us' was the answer I got. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Contacted a different dealer a few days later.  Brought the car in and they had it sorted in about 30 minutes.  I was told it can be an issue with the Superb front passenger door in particular.  They said they just had to adjust the tension in the mechanism. No grease needed.  It's been working perfectly since. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 22/03/2020 at 11:51, Supjona said:

Sorry,  don't have any proper answers but same thing happened to me. The handle did pull out completely.  I greased it on the plastic part which hooks onto the rest of the lock mechanism and put it all back together. It worked but it happened again shortly after this. I've become an expert at removing the door handle now. I noticed when putting it back on the action is completely smooth until I fit the smaller part of the handle which seems to make it tighter.  It's worked fine for a few days now but I'm waiting for the 'what's going on here?' expression from someone attempting to get in as normal. Called a dealer but they said they weren't aware of any issue like this. 'Grease it or book it in with us' was the answer I got. 

A good way to evaluate the performance level and sense of customer satisfaction of this dealer... 🙄

Only 'good' to make oil / filters / replacements and take your money... No more...

The older I get, the more I say my self:

The less my car goes to a dealer, the better It works... I rather do myself all I can. I know what has been done, and how it has been done.

For every classic overhaul, at least I know it's not done by an inexperienced apprentice mechanic doing a training period...

• Thanks 1

On 04/04/2020 at 08:43, Supjona said:

Contacted a different dealer a few days later.  Brought the car in and they had it sorted in about 30 minutes.  I was told it can be an issue with the Superb front passenger door in particular.  They said they just had to adjust the tension in the mechanism. No grease needed.  It's been working perfectly since. 

Many thanks for the reply , sorry I hav,nt checked in on the thread in the past while .

My issue sounds identical to yours , sometimes a tight point develops in the lock mechanism and the handle is pulled too vigorously by someone opening the door and the handle pops out like in the picture below.

20200406-085411.jpg

When I remove the handle and relocate in its correct position it might work fine for a day or two but the same tight point returns eventually and the handle pops out again.

My next step is to remove the door card to see can I find any part dislodged or broken in the lock mechanism but if I could find out what may be the problom is beforehand  I could order the parts before stripping down in the first place .

Or if there is an adjustment to be made if I could get a technical bulletin on what the procedure to do so ? 

I'd go to my dealer but they are all closed up at the moment so that option is out for now !

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2020 at 12:06, SportlineBri said:

Many thanks for the reply , sorry I hav,nt checked in on the thread in the past while .

My issue sounds identical to yours , sometimes a tight point develops in the lock mechanism and the handle is pulled too vigorously by someone opening the door and the handle pops out like in the picture below.

20200406-085411.jpg

When I remove the handle and relocate in its correct position it might work fine for a day or two but the same tight point returns eventually and the handle pops out again.

My next step is to remove the door card to see can I find any part dislodged or broken in the lock mechanism but if I could find out what may be the problom is beforehand  I could order the parts before stripping down in the first place .

Or if there is an adjustment to be made if I could get a technical bulletin on what the procedure to do so ? 

I'd go to my dealer but they are all closed up at the moment so that option is out for now !

HI My Roscommon Friend and newly found BRISKODA Colleagues,

I have a similar Sportline - 2017 190 DSG same red and my door handle is now striking the same pose as yours.

I took off the little black cover on the side of the door to try and adjust the screw to try and remove the handle but hey presto, no screws in place which is very different to drivers side.

Likewise garages are shut here too. Any pics or video clips from anyone here how I might at least temporarily get the door handle back in position? don't want to force anything to break. Thanks.

On 28/08/2017 at 22:57, Croat said:

Hi all! :)

Ok so the other day my aunt grabbed the door handle and I guess she applied to many force trying to open the door? And the door handle fell off!
I picked up the pieces and by looking to body work PDF all the parts wer ther so I fixed the door my self insted of driving the car to the authorised service.

Any way I made how to video. Hope it will help someone and save some time and money. Cheers!

This is what I was thinking of. I'm not sure if it is relevant to your problem, but it might help hopefully? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boydeee said:

This is what I was thinking of. I'm not sure if it is relevant to your problem, but it might help hopefully? 

Thanks Boydee

i had another look at the car but I seem to have the challenge that I don’t even have the screws that should be in place. The photos included here show the passenger door,close up of passenger door where adjustment screws should be and the drivers door which seems to have the screws in place. 

F86F1B23-294B-453D-809F-114277A6D321.jpeg

B4DC4AEA-F624-4985-A983-9C0C9E91F487.jpeg

9EA8001F-DBAB-4ABF-B9F0-834D88484EEF.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, johntdoyle said:

HI My Roscommon Friend and newly found BRISKODA Colleagues,

I have a similar Sportline - 2017 190 DSG same red and my door handle is now striking the same pose as yours.

I took off the little black cover on the side of the door to try and adjust the screw to try and remove the handle but hey presto, no screws in place which is very different to drivers side.

Likewise garages are shut here too. Any pics or video clips from anyone here how I might at least temporarily get the door handle back in position? don't want to force anything to break. Thanks.

13 hours ago, johntdoyle said:

Hi there and welcome to briskoda !

Putting the handle back in place is pretty easy in itself ,that video explains it pretty well, 

I just put back mine for the umpteenth time now and I took a few pictures which  might help you.

Firstly open door and remove the oval grommet .

20200410-142252.jpg

Behind this you will see a half moon shaped clip, 

20200410-142327.jpg

This needs to be pulled forward about 5mm by means of the suitable hook tool, I found I  could use the fork of a circlip pliers to do this.

20200410-142435.jpg

With this clip released this allows the handle end  cover to be removed, might take a bit of wriggling if doing it for the first time .

20200410-142537.jpg

With this out the handle can how be released further and relocated correctly. 

20200410-142615.jpg

Now the end cover can be reinserted , you need to pull the handle out slightly to get the Clearance to get it back in. 

20200410-142731.jpg

Now push back in the clip on the inside of the door with a screwdriver or similar and refit the grommet. That it!

My problom is that keeps popping back out to to some kind of resistance in the lock mechanism itself.

Edited by SportlineBri
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SportlineBri said:

Sportlinebri thanks a million.  Look like my car is not so mutant after all missing screws and as for the inclusion of the hook tool pic that was the clincher. Hadn’t got one  and tried a few different bits but then found a kids toy ground peg, straightened the angle a little more and took the end off it with a pliers. Hey presto it worked a treat. Got the door handle back together handy enough after that and tested about 40 times. 

Holding on to my new tool in the glovebox now like gold dust.  No doubt will get it checked by dealer after coronagate as it is due a service anyway. 

Super site and thanks a million.

Will tell other Skoda friends. 

4C37E051-53F5-45F1-8DFD-97318521E325.jpeg

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi guys had the very same problem today so first port off call was here. 
Great details by the way followed the above steps and managed to get the small part off the door handle out and then the main handle back in. 

problem now is the door handle is all back together and looks ok but when I go to open the door the handle it go’s about half an inch and won’t open. 
Any help greatly appreciate. 
thanks. 

Hi guys had the very same problem today so first port off call was here. 
Great details by the way followed the above steps and managed to get the small part off the door handle out and then the main handle back in. 
As one off the guys earlier said that when he brought it to the garage They said they just had to adjust the tension in the mechanism. 
Does anyone know where that tension mechanism is located ?

It’s still not a 💯 percent right when opening the door sometimes it’s grand other times it feels like it’s going to go again 
thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the same problem myself on a 2017 SIII hatchback. A friend of mine was able to fix it late last year with a tiny hook tool but it went again. 

It's quite clear that there is a latent defect with this part of the car based on the frequency of comments and I am skeptical about the dealer's lack of awareness. 

My friend said he didn't want to touch it again in case it is a sign of the internal mechanism going brittle and breaking completely.  I have an extended service due in approx 1k miles so likely to ask them for a look and see what the £damage is before doing much more. Mind you, who knows how long it will take me to do £1k miles right now.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem on my 2018 Superb.  Spoke to my local dealer, described what happened (wife was opening the door and walked away with the handle in her hand).  Diagnosed, unseen, £288.00 for replacement handle no mention of the possibility that it was just a simple adjustment.  Thank the guy in the sky for Briskoda.

19 hours ago, rafmike said:

I have the same problem on my 2018 Superb.  Spoke to my local dealer, described what happened (wife was opening the door and walked away with the handle in her hand).  Diagnosed, unseen, £288.00 for replacement handle no mention of the possibility that it was just a simple adjustment.  Thank the guy in the sky for Briskoda.

Checked the system today the little half moon shaped catch is a locking pin, refitted the handle, pushed in the pin and the jobs a good un.

19 hours ago, rafmike said:

I have had to do the handle repair as well. I wonder if the drivers side is somehow protected as that is where the actual key lock is, so maybe that side is just stronger because of it.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the photos and instructions @johntdoyle. I had the same happen to my 2016 Superb, 1.6 DSG passenger handle, 3 days after collecting it.  These instructions were worth the £10 freedom membership alone.

Is the ground peg Magic Door Fixer™ for slotting into the small gap between the handle opening so you don't need to remove the housing completely by pulling the locking pin?  The locking pin is plastic, and looks like this fix will be done a bit, so the plastic might wear.

• 1 month later...

Job was a good un as I said on the 14th of May but job was not a good un last week.  Took it to my (very) local Good Garage Guide garage after much scratching of beards (mine) and heads (Johns) we agreed that there is only one item in the system that's the carrier plate for the handle so change it says I.  Unfortunately I had to pay for diagnosis (at very reduced rate) but hopefully this info will save other owners an arm and a leg and a hell of a lot of frustration.  

Skoda Part number 5NO 839 855 H.  In the picture below the little arrow points to the pin that we all keep pulling and pushing.  Obviously the door card has to be removed to gain access but apart from that a reasonably easy job.  However it did come as a bit of a surprise to find no trace of an adjuster of any sort despite the comments above.

I have tried it about 50 times now and all seems to be working as expected, so my thanks to Sandy Garage of St Blazey you've earned your place in the Good Garage Guide.

IMG_1362.JPG

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just happened my wife there now, big panic attack then on the phone.
She managed to close the door and now driving home with the handle stuck out.
Must book her in tomorrow for it to be looked at.

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-07 at 16.02.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-07 at 16.02.22.jpeg