Headlight washers not working fuse blown

The 20A fuse powering the headlight washers has at some point in the cars past blown. Before I put a new fuse in are they likely to be jammed which caused the fuse to blow the first time?

I'd replace the fuse and see if they work.

The pop out mechanism is powered by the water pressure from the water pump so if it's jammed, running it briefly is unlikely to damage anything.

20 minutes ago, cypher007 said:

I like everything to work regardless of how old it is.

I feel that way when I look at myself in the mirror but sadly it's too late for some of it ... 😼

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cypher007 said:

No but I like everything to work regardless of how old it is.

14 minutes ago, StickyMicky said:

I feel that way when I look at myself in the mirror but sadly it's too late for some of it ... 😼

Ain't that the truth, there's something to be said for 'Live Fast-Die Young'!

Al that smoking, drinking and eating sweet, salty and fatty (unheathy but YUMMY) foods will take years off your life they say, yes but it's the crappy years at the end!

Now folks are living longer the health system can't cope with the numbers of patients

Sorry folks, I kinda got off topic.

Edited by MicMac

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

The underside of the headlight washer caps are renowned for freezing to the bumper, when you operate them they won't extend and instead pop the fuse.

tried them tonight and they work now.

but one side is missing it’s cover so when it operates washer fluid shoots up instead of at the headlight.

does the cover have a deflector on it to angle the jet at the headlight?

anyone know where I can get a cover? Seen some on eBay but some reviews say they are crap.

If you mean what I think, you may be missing 1. the external cover and also 2. the nozzle jet.

Mine is missing a nozzle jet on one side, presumably blew off with wash fluid pressure, so it's an ugly upwards gusher instead of directed spray.  I have not found a part number for the jet just the whole unit and the covers.

AFAIK they're not an MOT fail if inop when the vehicle is fitted with halogen headlights, only if it's fitted with HID type.

In my experience they do little but waste expensive screenwash and release unnecessary toxins to the environment.

They are a nice way to show your appreciation to cyclists who travel 2 or more abreast and impede the flow of traffic.

Go give them a well deserved cool and refreshing spray, cycling is hot work!

Edited by MicMac

1 hour ago, MicMac said:

They are a nice way to show your appreciation to cyclists who travel 2 or more abreast and impede the flow of traffic.

Brilliant! 10/10!

Yep, the cap has no influence on the direction of the water spray....

imageproxy.jpeg.d356e251f25fffa063a1679252f94034.jpeg

Sounds like you're missing more than just the cap, you'll need new nozzles too...

IMG_20190712_121819.thumb.jpg.8beeb8edae7c437507995f127df88c59.jpg.fe7e54079c72c8c8c6278a7f9fb96afc.jpg

• Like 1

been out to have a look and its pretty bad.

the one that doesn't have a cover over it has 2 split jet mounts and the other one has a whole jet missing.

so to repair I might be able to take a jet out of the split one and put it in the missing one. then buy a new assembly and cover for the side that's split.

are they relatively cheap?

Edited by cypher007

All the parts and numbers are all linked to on this site if you search.

Edited by MicMac

@cypher007

As I am missing only 1 of the 2 jets on one side and

1)never really use them anyway

2)don't require them for an MOT

3) you can't buy them separately only the complete lift cylinder unit

I thought about improvising a jet based on the original but made from a dollop of epoxy with a lubed strand of wire through it (pointed towards headlight).  As it cured I would pull the wire strand out and hopefully leave a hole.

If any DIY types want to try, perhaps body filler would be better.  Just be sure to fully extend the cylinder and secure in place to get your jet aim correct.

I'm a diy type...

I'd suggest a slightly different approach: make your body out of whatever gloop you want, encase a bit of the correct diameter hose in it for direct connection.

Then seal the end of that hose with a hard setting epoxy and drill a nozzle through once fully hardened.

That way you can start with a small hole, test, drill the next size up, test, etc untill you're good.

eBay will sell you some micro drill bits in 0.1mm increments.

Pulling out a wire from setting epoxy isn't going to give you a consistent flowpath, if it doesn't collapse it'll likely be widest at the end you pull from, plus you'll have a longer flow restriction.

Edited by Daniel_Bos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel_Bos said:

I'm a diy type...

I'd suggest a slightly different approach: make your body out of whatever gloop you want, encase a bit of the correct diameter hose in it for direct connection.

Then seal the end of that hose with a hard setting epoxy and drill a nozzle through once fully hardened.

That way you can start with a small hole, test, drill the next size up, test, etc untill you're good.

eBay will sell you some micro drill bits in 0.1mm increments.

Pulling out a wire from setting epoxy isn't going to give you a consistent flowpath, if it doesn't collapse it'll likely be widest at the end you pull from, plus you'll have a longer flow restriction.

Depends how good you are 😉