DAB Radio frequent signal loss

AndyGrob73

Morning Guys,

I've owned and driven various cars fitted with DAB radio's and driven the very same roads which I am now using with my Karoq.  I'm gob smacked at how intermittent the radio seems to be on the very same streets, roads and lanes where I never used to have any issues with previous cars.  So, I parked up locally and went through the process of scanning all the channels again which is something that I've never had to do before in any car.  Unfortunately no improvement, it is really notable just how many times the symbol comes up for no signal and the channel is gone for a few minutes.  This is not just restricted to where I live and a fluctuating signal, because I drive all over the place up and down the country.

Joking apart but I re-scanned yesterday on my drive way and then as I moved about 3 feet forward it lost the signal......I could stop laughing whilst cursing at the same time.

Also I drove some of the very same local routes in the girlfriends car yesterday, and didn't lose the signal once.  So I'm ruling out a recent transmitter problems.  I'm starting to think that the aerial isn't plugged in ....

Any hints?  Tips?   Known issues?  Or available radio firmware updates?

Cheers

(69 Plate 150 4x4 TDI Sportline with standard radio as fitted)

A quick update..

I've reset the radio, and rescanned for channels at it only finds about 8 DAB channels, and not many more FM channels either.  My other car parked at the side of it, and house DAB radio in the kitchen finds 'loads' of channels.  So I need to book it into the dealers to get it checked over and hopefully they can work some magic.

Only suggestion would be to ask dealer to check if there's a fault. The reason I say this is because I've found Skodas to be pretty strong at picking up stations. I drive an Octavia and that was a great improvement on what was basically the same head unit as fitted to our Ateca and I had far more selection of stations on the Skoda. Also when driving thru a tunnel the Ateca would loose the DAB signal then took around 20secs for it to come back again. Same tunnel, the Octavia's system would sometimes be interuppted but signal was never lost. We changed the Ateca for the Karoq and again, a vast improvment on the Ateca. I have no issues with the Karoq. ( Worst radio of all for signal strength was the new HR-V ).

I can't be 100% sure on the Skoda but if it's like other cars, there may be a signal booster somewhere under the headlining. My first thought is if that's working OK?  ( My 2nd thought is Sasha is the girl who'll know if there's some boost device or not  ).

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, RichardPB said:

I had the same issue including losing the presets every month or so. If it's the Columbus Head Unit, there is a software update. I've not had any issues since. 

I too have found DAB disappointing in that it loses signal far too often (Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI, Columbus unit) - is the software update a dealer job or can I ( of limited teccy ability !) manage it myself ?

4 minutes ago, JKW said:

I too have found DAB disappointing in that it loses signal far too often (Karoq Edition 1.5 TSI, Columbus unit) - is the software update a dealer job or can I ( of limited teccy ability !) manage it myself ?

It was a dealer update. Took about 30 minutes to do.

15 minutes ago, RichardPB said:

It was a dealer update. Took about 30 minutes to do.

Many thanks for that RichardPB, now I know of the solution I'll get it booked in . Cheers , John

8 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

If you are using a 12V to 5V USB adapter in the 12V socket (eg for dashcam, phone charger etc) these adapters are very, very prone to causing DAB interference

Interesting that, 'cos I am using a multi socket hub in the 12v socket for a dashcam and speed detector - could well be my problem then ! However, I'll do without DAB in favour of keeping the dashcam & my licence intact - the old Medium Wave for the radio,& my SD Card full of music will suffice, plus the oft forgotten CD Player is available if needed.

Easy way to see if it's the adapter: when you lose DAB reception, temporarily pull out the adapter and see if DAB returns (obliged to add, preferably get your passenger to do this for obvious safety reasons)

Some adapters are better than others regarding DAB interference. And many cars seamlessly change to FM if DAB is lost, so you don't always notice when DAB disappears.

YouTube vids and Google search will give a nice demonstration and the techy theory regarding what exactly is going on with these adapters (and how, for minimal cost, the manufacturers could cure it)

On 05/03/2020 at 21:44, SinglePointSafety said:

Easy way to see if it's the adapter: when you lose DAB reception, temporarily pull out the adapter and see if DAB returns (obliged to add, preferably get your passenger to do this for obvious safety reasons)

Some adapters are better than others regarding DAB interference. And many cars seamlessly change to FM if DAB is lost, so you don't always notice when DAB disappears.

YouTube vids and Google search will give a nice demonstration and the techy theory regarding what exactly is going on with these adapters (and how, for minimal cost, the manufacturers could cure it)

Cheers for that SinglePointSafety  - I use a switchable adapter so will be easy to switch off to check out if that's the problem on my Karoq.

JKW, depending on how the switch works in the adapter (the 'transformer bit' might still be operating) for a proper test you still might have to pull it out of the 12V outlet

tjxkeith1: I recall reading somewhere that the DAB aerial in most VAG cars is incorporated in the rear and side windscreens, and thus very prone to interference from any source. Although puzzled why a DC item ie with no voltage switching would cause interference

12 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

JKW, depending on how the switch works in the adapter (the 'transformer bit' might still be operating) for a proper test you still might have to pull it out of the 12V outlet

Thanks again, will certainly try both methods, with fingers crossed !

• 8 months later...

For what this is worth, I lost the DAB radio presets on Columbus Infotainment on my 2018 (May) Karoq three times over the past 4 or 5 months, dealer took in car and with confirmation from Škoda Technical centre confirmed problem was due to out of date software. They carried out TPI software update and tested. No problem 48 hours later. Here’s a pic of latest ‘system information’ screen showing new spec installed. Difference was ‘Software:1383, versus ‘1240’ previously. I hope this helps others with same issue, I hope that’s fixed it.

0AC90790-9630-49E1-995D-0AE4CAEA4457.jpeg

13CCA849-48A7-4CE2-BCE9-F9660D81FA6D.jpeg

• 3 years later...