Leather seats vs Cloth seats

1 hour ago, caprixpack said:

I think people are getting a bit confused with preference and cost, in my experience the majority of people who choose cloth seats don't give an arse about the cost. They choose them because they don't like leather seats. 

That’s possible - note the typical arrangement in a traditional limousine: chauffeur squeezed into the leather compartment, toffs stretching out on grey cloth!

6 hours ago, caprixpack said:

I think people are getting a bit confused with preference and cost, in my experience the majority of people who choose cloth seats don't give an arse about the cost. They choose them because they don't like leather seats. 

Quite. We bought an SEL in preference to the Edition simply because we preferred the alcantara. I’ve not added it up, but I suspect the Edition would have worked out cheaper with our options. 

Two significant deterrents for leather is when (if) they develop a worn shine / sheen on the squab, or when the leather begins to bed-in resulting in creases and ripples.

The smell can't be beaten though.

It should also be noted that the quality of the leather makes a huge difference. I had no choice on my current car (bought used, and cloth wasn't an option), but the leather drivers seat in my 2016 35,000 mile E-Class is so far wearing well.

Cloth every time for me  - leather tends to be too hot in summer and too cold in winter as well as too slidey in corners...

I've always actively avoided leather after experiencing an Audi A3 fitted with them...

On 05/03/2020 at 11:48, xspartx said:

Do the SEL's not come with Alcantara anymore?

Anyway another vote for Alcantara here.

Leather is too hot and sweaty for me in summer.

Apparently not, but they do look remrkably similar!

20200305_121653.jpg

20200305_121703.jpg

5 years back i seem to remember Dealership salespeople were telling potential customers there was a Alcantara shortage, then at around the Kodiaq Launch time VW were in dispute with suppliers and there was a shortage of Interiors with Alcantara and VW were trying to get an alternative material.

Unless that was another internet myth, or maybe it was me remembering a dream.

Screenshot 2020-03-07 at 22.57.17.png

Here in the depths of the Czech rainforest, I’m happy to report that the numbers of the elusive Alcantara’s are on the rise. This is great news for all lovers of non slide seats.

• Haha 1