DA/RO polishing machine advice

ckyliu

I’m fed up of applying polish (and wax) by hand, the car is now 4 years old and I’m not getting the swirl correction I want. However, I am a detailing novice and completely cack handed, so very concerned about burning my soft paint (I swear it’s just dyed butter) with a machine polisher (aka rotary MOP?).

I’ve been using Gtechniq’s Nano P1 polish by hand with a tri-foam applicator, and I understand this polish also works well by machine since it doesn’t fall away so you can use it at slower speeds (hence less burn risk) and it can be reactivated with water mist (or spritz as the DW folks say 🙄 ), and you use the pad firmness to control the level of cut.

What would be a good entry-level DA/RO (Dual action/random orbital) machine for a novice? It’s only going to be used three-ish times a year so I don’t want to spend much

And do I want the type with two handles, or the one that’s big arm (kinda looks like a grinder)?

Then I’m going to need some pads, any recommendations? I’ll also want a pad suitable for applying wax (I use AG SRP topped with Collinite 845).

Finally I need advice on how to actually use the thing, in terms of speeds, sizes, pitfalls etc, I presume someone already knows of some great guide for a tit like me?

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

DAS 6/Das 6 Pro and Hexlogic pads for me.  It was my first/only DA and I can thoroughly recommend it.  

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6-v2-dual-action-polisher

https://www.juicydetailing.co.uk/hex-logic-guide

For not too serious correction, usual marring and halo's introduced by car washing then a green hexlogic pad along with Meguiars Ultimate Compound would be a good place to start.  Very easy to work with and good results without being too aggressive.  If you buy the DAS6 from Clean Your Car then give them a call and explain your needs what colour car you have etc and they'll give you some great advice on what to go for.  They also won't give you duff info to force you in to spending more, good honest service IME. I've been using them for years.  

Take a look on YouTube for tutorials on using the machine, the Chemical Guys feed is a good channel.  IMO you'd have to do something really really really stupid to do some expensive/irreversible damage using the DAS6.  

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%23chemicalguys

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 3

Thanks penguin17, heard good things about both the DAS6 and the Hex Logic pads. The DAS6 is a bit out of budget though so I'm going to see if I can get a used on on eBay. I've since realised the first Argos machine I linked to is nowhere near beefy enough at under 200w, I believe I'll need more like 600w+.

I've read that Meguiars Ultimate Compound can require refining afterwards, and given I'm not going to be doing this very often I don't want loads of product laying about or multiple processes so I was looking at Scholl S20 Black one-step. But still concerned that could be too aggressive and after a few years I'll have no clear coat left, is there anything more "every day" you'd recommend? I suppose I could just stick to using SRP which it just fillers really (but my gosh it is dusty!)

On 09/03/2020 at 01:33, ckyliu said:

I've read that Meguiars Ultimate Compound can require refining afterwards, 

I've been using it for 3-4 years and that's a new one on me.  

On 21/03/2020 at 21:27, john999boy said:

@penguin17 Seems like juicydetailing has bit the dust.

What's your thoughts of your  Meguiars MT320 or which of the DAS packages to go for that includes all that's needed to get up and running?

Sorry about late reply, I missed the tag...

Take a look at the link I posted above and look at the DAS6/6 Pro from clean your car. Much cheaper than the Megs DA. 

I would personally phone clean your car for some advice. They’ll be able to give recommendations based on what you want/need rather than what puts more money their way. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

I would personally phone clean your car for some advice. They’ll be able to give recommendations based on what you want/need rather than what puts more money their way. 

I did and one is on it's way.

Maybe I should have asked for next day delivery though....

Edited by john999boy
Typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, john999boy said:

In did and one is on it's way.

Maybe I should have asked for next day delivery though....

Nice.   I just ordered a box of goodies from them on Friday a'noon. It arrived yesterday morning.  They are pretty good with getting things sent out quickly and they use DPD where possible

• 1 year later...

Update time: I took the plunge this May and got a bargain Katsu 850W dual action polisher (it was a third of the price of a DAS6 Pro and fine for my occasional use), ended up with both 4 and 5.5" Hex green pads and S20 Black 1 Step - thanks for the pad advice @penguin17. I did machine apply SRP with a black pad after because I had more than half a bottle. Happy with the results, but could've gone a bit more aggressive with Meguiars Ultimate Compound as suggested.

However, I have a new problem and looking for advice... the car had some areas resprayed previously and a big chunk of lacquer came off the nose during washing. I know it really needs professional respray but in the meantime, how would I get on using the DA and Mazda's chip paint to patch it? I was thinking an aggressive but well lubed compound like a Koch H8.02 using the firmest 4" pad I can get my hands on to smooth off the edges, brushing on lacquer then compounding again and polishing. But I have concerns if any DA would provide enough cut to make a notable difference and if I risked breaching the clearcoat of the surrounding good paint. Hopefully such a setup I could then spot use on some deeper scratches too?

image.thumb.png.b4f4a0ed393ef1d8d9cc32943210fb1f.png

And as a side note, is the 4" pad suppose to vibrate much more than the 5.5"; I'm only really comfortable with it at speed 3.5 vs speed 6 (max) on the 5.5"? Do 4" pads cut more or less?

Edited by ckyliu