Octy 4x4 Protective under tray - how important?

I've just got home and discovered that at some point either this morning or last night, the protective undertray that sits under the engine bay at the front of my car has dropped off, has been run over either by me or someone else and is damaged in quite a few places. No idea how I didn't notice but not too happy really.

Just wondering how essential this tray is - will I be ok without for a couple of weeks until I can find time to get to a scrappy and find another and order some of the clips to hold it on?

Thanks very much guys

Yea, some cars never even got them back in the day, you may get dirt underneath coming up as there is no guard obviously, but there is probably 100’s of thousands of cars running around without their undertray on 👍

they are better to be on than off though as they serve quite a few purposes but nothing detrimental will happen whilst it’s missing.

Cheers. I'll aim to get it back on ASAP but good to know it won't do any harm.

Anoyne konw if the 4x4 tray is any different from the standard Octy one?

13 hours ago, alessio92 said:

Just wondering how essential this tray is

You've got some discussion on some effects you should care about. It;s also to reduce drive-by noise (but if you're driving your car then you're not hearing it being noisy from outside it) and may improve fuel economy (more likely on diesels with the full engine bay tray and doing long runs on fast roads).

2 hours ago, alessio92 said:

Anoyne konw if the 4x4 tray is any different from the standard Octy one

I can't answer your question directly but there are a number of different under trays listed or a MY2008 Octy.  You should have a look at your options sticker (near spare wheel or inside service book) so see if you can match up your car's setup to the relevant part.

Parts diagram is here. You're looking at item 9.

Dependant on how it was ripped off and whether the other plastic shields under the bumper & wheel arch that attach to it were damaged you may cause further damage or even lose them by driving without the undertray, without it they are not really supported and can flap around, vice versa equally.

Even when they are really damaged and/or missing fixings they can be secured back into position with tywraps either through the existing fixing holes or by drilling a few new ones, doing that holds everything together.

The final years of my MK1 the undertray was permanently attached with tywraps and was far easier to remove and replace.

Edited by J.R.

The undertray on my 2006 4x4 is steel plate, weighs about 25kg and has an extra metal frame to bolt into! Not sure when they went from steel to plastic on the 4x4s but I imagine they are interchangeable. 

3 hours ago, MarkyTDI said:

The undertray on my 2006 4x4 is steel plate, weighs about 25kg and has an extra metal frame to bolt into! Not sure when they went from steel to plastic on the 4x4s but I imagine they are interchangeable. 

I think you may have the "Rough Road option pack" fitted - option 2UB.  Don't know how that affects the undertray mounts unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StickyMicky said:

I think you may have the "Rough Road option pack" fitted - option 2UB.  Don't know how that affects the undertray mounts unfortunately.

Think the rough road pack was standard on all mk II 4x4s but at some point the tray went from metal to plastic. 

Mine's a diesel 4x4 and it's plastic! A mechanic down my street has recommended I leave it off as it would prevent me from spotting an oil leak until it's basically too late... hadn't thoguht about this aspect of it?

How would it impact on fuel economy?

• 1 month later...

Mine has done without for 2 years now, after the securing bolts snapped off when I was removing it for an oil change.

Car seems to be fine.

Possibly a little noisier outside. I doubt the effect of smoother airflow under a diesel Skoda is going to be significant in terms of drag.

In its absence everything else becomes weaker and floppier particularly the splash guards between the engine bay and wheelarches, the bumper etc which can get trapped over kerbstones etc.

On my MK1 without it all the other bits started getting damaged and dragging/falling off.

Even when the fixing lugs etc are destroyed it can be retained in place with tywraps through some drilled holes.