Sport Line / Plus better car than Laurin & Klement?

I am looking at changing our 2014 SII L&K 4x4 to a facelift SIII - late 2019 onwards. Looking at the nearly new and used cars there are not many L&Ks on sale but loads of Sportline models.

When I spec a new Sportline / Plus versus a new L&K the price tag is not very different but the L&K looks like a vastly better car to me - except that I cannot get this nice green metallic colour in L&K.

Am I missing anything when I look at the spec lists?

Edited by 26DIPP

L&K owner here.  From what I can see the L&K gets more kit as standard but the Sportline offers visual changes (black bits instead of chrome bits, black wheels), sporty seats, lower suspension, flat-bottomed steering wheel and the extra colour(s).  

That said, since I bought mine in 2016 Skoda have dropped items from the kit list over the years (no tv and no footrests in the back for example) so I'd just compare the kit and pick which matches your requirements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 26DIPP said:

I am looking at changing our 2014 SII L&K 4x4 to a facelift SIII - late 2019 onwards. Looking at the nearly new and used cars there are not many L&Ks on sale but loads of Sportline models.

When I spec a new Sportline / Plus versus a new L&K the price tag is not very different but the L&K looks like a vastly better car to me - except that I cannot get this nice green metallic colour in L&K.

Am I missing anything when I look at the spec lists?

When I added all the options I wanted, both Sportline and Sportline Plus ended up considerably more expensive than the L&K -- unsurpringly, all manufacturers have rip-off prices for options. I'd be surprised if this has changed recently...

(of course this may not be true if you don't want some of the more expensive options -- but if you spec up to the same level it's definitely true)

Also bear in mind that options have a low or negligible residual value when you sell the car, S/H pricing is pretty much based on the standard model spec -- it's why with a leased car the entire cost of optional extras is added onto the lease cost.

As an L&K owner I'd say they are aimed at different groups. L&K for refined cruising, Sportline for a... well... sportier experience (lower ride, larger wheels etc). I'd suggest driving both and seeing which you prefer. And yes, depending on spec / extras they won't be far apart on price.

FWIW both variants seem well-received from what I see on here, and I love my L&K. Good luck with a very nice dilemma!:)

Edited by BriskodaJeff

To me the Sportline is like a big Octavia VRS, you can get Dragon Green, which I like, if you spec it with DCC it might handle a bit better than the L&K.  Otherwise if standard kit floats your boat I would go for a L&K. 

• Like 1

I know what I want - L&K.

When I looked for some nearly new / demonstrator Superbs I was surprised to see so many more Sportline / Plus than L&K despite the much better equipment levels of the L&K. The gimmick extras of the Sportline do not score highly on my wanted list.

IT took me a while to find the L&K I've currently got. I used the Skoda main website (used section), plus Autotrader and then weekly calls so some of the dealers (like Marshalls) who I could see were turning over stock. I had no part-ex and distance was no object (because it would be covered by the manufacturers warranty, I didn't need a test drive and I knew what I wanted)...   Sit tight and keep on looking. Good luck

You seem to be much like I was last December. I really wanted a nearly new L&K but couldn't find one in my price range. In fact, there weren't many around at all. By contrast, I could have had any number of Sportline Plus at an attractive price that I could afford. I knew that the L&K had all the 'toys' that I was interested in, and I had had an L&K Octavia a few years ago so I knew about all the things that came as standard. What should I do? Cave in and get a Sportline Plus before Christmas? Or just keep scanning the main used car sites for an L&K? Out of the blue an L&K that I'd rules out dipped in price by £2000, bringing it within budget. I test drove it, made a mental note of the galaxy of features that it had, and went for it. It was a New Year present, instead of a Christmas present. One thing that I would add is to make sure you get a car with the latest 7 speed DSG gearbox. It cruises in 7th at low, low revs, giving you a surprisingly high mpg on a run. As for the features, I'm sold on the automatic dipping headlights, which I don't think come as standard on the Sportline Plus. My wife loves them for night driving and so do I. You'll find out at the test drive about all the other great features that, in my view, put the L&K in the category of "just wait until the right one comes along", compared to the readily available Sportline Plus. I'm just glad that other contributors who are L&K owners are saying similar things to me about waiting, so that you don't think that I'm too biased - because I'm a very satisfied recent addition to this Superb L&K club.  

I just went from a 66 plate 220tsi sportline to a 69 plate l&k 4x4 tsi. I prefer the black bits from the sportline, but I have to say the l&k is much more refined on the road.

My thoughts are that the DCC makes a world of difference, particularly on the tiny bits of road between the potholes that Edinburgh City council kindly provide us. 😉

The "sport" setting feels less harsh than the factory suspension on the sportline (and nothing like as firm as an Audi S3 with DCC).

Night and day compared to my first '52 plate v6 tdi as I fondly remember 😁

55 minutes ago, D-Cunningham said:

I'm sold on the automatic dipping headlights, which I don't think come as standard on the Sportline Plus. My wife loves them for night driving and so do I. 

I second that. The dynamic headlights and auto-dimming door and interior mirrors make driving at night stress-free. It goes against the grain to leave the headlights on main even though I had HBA previously but the continual adjustment of the dynamic headlights still catches my eye. I haven't been flashed once by an oncoming driver.