Help please! Center dashboard air vent trim replacement

Help please! I was trying to fit a phone holder clip to the centre dashboard air vent and managed to pull off the trim and a few of the blades. Got blades back on but now can't get the surrounding face-trim back onto the vents (as you can see have already managed to snap/bend some of the fittings). Any tips/clues on how to fit this damn thing? Every time I think I've got it positioned correctly it just pops out again and I can't get it to sit flush with the dash. Anyone got links to where I can buy replacement part(s)?   

Broken trim March 2020.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think you'll struggle without taking the vent unit out and fitting the surround to the vent unit when it's out.  If you have a suitable tool it should be quite simple.  The tool specified in the workshop manual is this: assembly tool.  If you have that or something similar then its a case of inserting through the fins and catching the outside edge of the vents and pull it out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StuH78 said:

I think you'll struggle without taking the vent unit out and fitting the surround to the vent unit when it's out.  If you have a suitable tool it should be quite simple.  The tool specified in the workshop manual is this: assembly tool.  If you have that or something similar then its a case of inserting through the fins and catching the outside edge of the vents and pull it out.

Thank you Stu - will order the tool today and let everyone know how/if I got on. 

On 29/03/2020 at 13:23, superbdreams said:

look closely at it, there may be an embossed (emboldened ?)  part number on it.

Can't see one. Maybe I'm missing it?

Take the whole unit out and you will be able to put clips in correctly aided with a bit of super glue

With an old metal coat hanger (remember those) and a pair of pliers you could make that *tool*

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 17:46, DEL80Y said:

Take the whole unit out and you will be able to put clips in correctly aided with a bit of super glue

With an old metal coat hanger (remember those) and a pair of pliers you could make that *tool*

I shall try that this week sometime! Thanks Delboy