Oil consumption

Good morning 

I brought my skoda Octavia se technology 1.5 TSI in april 2019 ive done just over 17,500 miles and twice between 7,000-7,500  my oil level warning light came on and the dipstick was reading nearly empty and skoda say my oil consumption is fine.

As any one else with a MK lll Octavia occurred this problem and have this problem solved. 

I believe the issue is down to the 0w20 grade oil in the engine. It is very thin and only designed to give better emissions. As for protection from an oil that thin is debateable. You can switch to the other spec which I believe is 5w 30. Others who have changed have reported no further loss of oil.

• Like 1

@Gogzie87

Do you mean you put in 0w 30 ?   

?

Did you check the oil level when you first collected the car, and read the owners manual on running in the car and the possible oil use in the first 5,000 km?

Your car came with 0w 20 FS IV from the factory. That is VW 508. 

& that is if you are in the UK

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

@Gogzie87

Does that bottle of oil show to VW508 /509 ?

The spec of oil should be 0w 20 FS IV.   

0w 30 will be fine if to spec VW504 which likely it is.  But that is not what should have been supplied.

You are supposed to check your oil yourself and not let it go as low as a warning light is required.

& check the oil level at 'Normal Operating Temperature and make sure you fill with enough after the first warning, and again now after the 2nd.

Do not overfill be be sure you are getting the correct amount of oil in.

IMG_0480.JPG.7749bea2529914fff1bb454bae89ffa0.jpeg

w960_3927-184.png.f6438923d2fbc7549b92817bdbfa6a2f.png.11c78e7b214413b291aad69b09bc2252.png

1st bottle i used was castrol edge 0w 30 after level warning light came on at 7300 miles (1 litre) Took in for its 1st oil change service in September 2019 which they filled it up with 0w 20 then warning level light came on after i done further 7200 miles after oil change and i put in castrol magnetic stop start 0w 30 1litre. service plus checking dipstick every week. My point is should the level warning light be coming on after i done 7200 miles which sounds like to me that the car is burning nearly 4.5 litres oil which is abit excessive to me. 

@Ecomatt  Knocked the nail on the head. 

Only time will tell if Engines Oil Consumption might become ridiculous as yours is because VW Group went to 0w 20 FS IV to get WLTP / RDE / RDE2 results.

When serviced you could get VW 504 oil, but you should not have to because they have some TSI's that use oil like a 2 stroke.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

So Skoda will start telling people again that the 'Acceptable oil use is 0.5 litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles'.   Which it is not and neither is 0.3 litres in 1,000 km.

As it is this is early days in the fiasco that will be 1.5 TSI EVO engines and excessive oil use.

It will follow the same pattern as happened with some Euro 5 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 & 2.0lt TSI's.  Denial and refusal of the actual facts presented to VW Group.

23 minutes ago, Gogzie87 said:

1st bottle i used was castrol edge 0w 30 after level warning light came on at 7300 miles (1 litre) Took in for its 1st oil change service in September 2019 which they filled it up with 0w 20 then warning level light came on after i done further 7200 miles after oil change and i put in castrol magnetic stop start 0w 30 1litre. service plus checking dipstick every week. My point is should the level warning light be coming on after i done 7200 miles which sounds like to me that the car is burning nearly 4.5 litres oil which is abit excessive to me. 

The min to max on the dipstick should be around one litre and you stated after 7200 miles it has consumed another litre.  Skoda say 0.5 litre per 600 miles is within tolerances so yours looks to be well under that.  Not sure where you are getting the 4.5 litres from.

I am saying Skoda say 0.5 per 600 miles is within tolerances, I do not feel that consumption is acceptable.

Edited by Kental
Clarify

@Kental

Skoda employees and Dealership Employees sometimes say that 1,000 km & 0.5 is within tolerances.    Well what Owners manual say is posted up above.

*** Below the 0.5 litre is about in the first 5,000 km.   That is how it was always to be, it is lost in translation'. ***

It is not within tolerances, it is what might be used by some in some circumstances.  That is not in a British Winter driving normally, not over a Alpine Pass Towing something.

So if you want to know what the Tolerances are, ask to be Shown in Writing, not in a Owners Manual covering all engines, 3,4,5,6,8 cylinder, petrol or diesel from 44 kw up to as much power as VW Engines might go.

Screenshot 2020-03-11 at 12.41.53.png

1 minute ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Kental

Skoda employees and Dealership Employees sometimes say that 1,000 km & 0.5 is within tolerances.    Well what Owners manual say is posted up above.

It is not within tolerances, it is what might be used by some in some circumstances.  That is not in a British Winter driving normally, not over a Alpine Pass Towing something.

So if you want to know what the Tolerances are, ask to be Shown in Writing, not in a Owners Manual covering all engines, 3,4,5,6,8 cylinder, petrol or diesel from 44 kw up to as much power as VW Engines might go.

Agreed, what is the chance of an engine that uses oil at a rate of 0.5 l / 1000km not killing the catalyst & passing an MOT emissions test.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kental said:

The min to max on the dipstick should be around one litre and you stated after 7200 miles it has consumed another litre.  Skoda say 0.5 litre per 600 miles is within tolerances so yours looks to be well under that.  Not sure where you are getting the 4.5 litres from.

I am saying Skoda say 0.5 per 600 miles is within tolerances, I do not feel that consumption is acceptable.

When i took it for its 1st oil change they would fill it to near maximum level. The oil sump holds 4.5 litres of oil which ive asked the service centre. A new car shouldn't burn nearly that amount in 7200 miles 

@Gogzie87   Sorry for not saying welcome.

You are right new cars should not use that much oil, but if you use a keyword search on here you will see that there are 1.5 tsi EVO that are.

VW Group needed a cheat for the WLTP results and they could not get away with the old trick with TDI's of diesel in the engine oil when on the rollers, 

or the thinner oil in TSI's being tested.

So all the VW Vehicles get the thin oil so that if any are re-tested on import they can meet the same emissions as the cars that were through the WLTP and Certificated.

Hence that Oil Chart and the mention of 'Slight deterioration in emissions values. if VW 504 used.

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png.919c1cb2291d27d43276a2bd077105be.png

2 hours ago, skippy41 said:

I found out by accident, that selecting sports mode, uses oil, so I left mine in normal mode and have never toped up between 10 k services

It will be from the increased rev range that sport uses. 

14 hours ago, Gogzie87 said:

When i took it for its 1st oil change they would fill it to near maximum level. The oil sump holds 4.5 litres of oil which ive asked the service centre. A new car shouldn't burn nearly that amount in 7200 miles 

I read your post as saying you put 1 litre in after 7200 miles

1 hour ago, Gogzie87 said:

Could someone tell me how much oil is put into a car after a service 

During a service the old oil is drained from the vehicle and it is refilled with new oil - around 4.5 litres.

If the engine uses oil between services, to top it up and take it from the minimum to maximum mark on the dipstick takes much less than this - normally around 1 litre.

Edited by iriches

Thank you. Took it in for its 1st oil change in September 2019 and skoda must of put that amount in using 0w 20. Then done 7,200 miles and then oil level warning light came on. Checked the dipstick and it was reading nearly empty. The car is not even year old. To me this isn't normal. Reading skoda spefications the car can use up to 0.5 litre oil every 600 miles. 

'May use as much as 0.5 litres in 1,000 km (621 miles).

But you are just driving a car normally in the UK in winter are you not?

If you have the Oil at the top of the cross hatch area after the oil has been taken up to around 90*oC indicated and then parked on the flat and checked after a few minutes, 

then when the oil is stone cold see where it is on the dip stick.  

Monitor the oil use and if a ongoing concern be sure the Dealership logs that concern on the system.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470119-check-oil-level-warning-query

12 hours ago, Gogzie87 said:

Could someone tell me how much oil is put into a car after a service 

I don't put much in my car after a service. I check the level regularly. Maybe 1/2l over the year, 5000 miles. 

My old MKII 2L DIESEL got through up to 2l between services  with variable services. 

I'm not sure you should have topped up with 0W30? As mentioned the car will have left the factory with 0W20, and at its first service they also used 0W20.

0W20 is good for emissions, not engine longevity.

My dealer used VW507.00 5W30 in my 1.4 TSI at its first service, despite it leaving the factory with 0W20, which suits me fine, it's a better oil for component life.