Sat nav sd card

Hy lads hope you are well. 

I have a skoda superb mk3 and I don't have a sd card with maps on it where can I buy it or can I download it from somewhere? 

I can't see traffic signs on my dashboard is it because I don't have sd card with maps?? 

Many thanks Lads

7 hours ago, Ssv said:

I don't have a sd card with maps

On the assumption you have Amundsen and not Columbus (If you're not certain which you have then enter your VIN in the above portal and it will tell you)...

AFAIK, and I stand to be corrected, you can use any 32GB SD Card to install the maps downloaded from the above mentioned portal - it doesn't need to be an original Skoda maps card.

Once placed in your car's SD slot the security bit (that's the S in SD) is set on the card and thereafter it can only be used in that car.

7 hours ago, Ssv said:

I can't see traffic signs on my dashboard

Traffic signs appear on the infotainment navigation screen. If the map appears on the screen without a map SD Card present then you have Columbus which stores the map data on an internal SSD, in which case...

You only need any 32+ GB SD Card or other USB storage device simply to transfer downloaded maps from your computer to the SSD. The security bit of an SD card is not set.

If you have the map but no road signs (speed limits) displayed on the infotainment navigation screen then check that it is enabled (ticked) in the menu Navigation > Maps > Show Road Signs.

If you're referring to traffic signs appearing in the MFD you will need to check if you actually have this function as it's only available as part of TSR (Traffic Sign Recognition).

TSR is an optional extra when the car is built. It can also be enabled retrospectively with VCDS or similar if you have the A5 camera located on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror.

If you believe you have TSR but the signs are not appearing at the top of the MFD then check it's enabled in the menu Car > Settings (cogs) > Driver Assistance > Dynamic Road Sign Display > Show In Instrument Cluster. If you don't have this menu item then you don't have TSR.

P.S. It's easier for people to answer questions if we know what year and model version you have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/03/2020 at 16:58, Ssv said:

Hy lads hope you are well. 

I have a skoda superb mk3 and I don't have a sd card with maps on it where can I buy it or can I download it from somewhere? 

I can't see traffic signs on my dashboard is it because I don't have sd card with maps?? 

Many thanks Lads

Does your sat nav currently work without an SD card in it, or does it inform you "Please insert a Navigation Medium with valid maps data" (or suchlike) on the screen?

If you currently have navigation working and you just want to update the maps then you have a Columbus unit, download the maps data from the Skoda Portal, copy the unzipped data to any usb device or SD card with enough space, and the maps can be updated from that.

If you have the error warning about needing a navigation data card then I can sell you one with the latest maps data ready installed. It needs to be a genuine Skoda (or VW) navigation SD card, but there's no security set on the card when you insert it in the machine, it can be used in any machine.

Edited by Rustynuts

You don't have to do any update. The screen you have showing there on the picture is the software update procedure, not anything to do with sat nav data or update. Just load the maps data onto the card and insert it into the machine. The card stays in the machine all the time and the maps data is read and used off the card.

Yes but after I insert the card in and there is no any changes to my sat nav. 

I still can't see the traffic signs on my dash board

As @BillyJim stated, to show traffic signs on the maxidot you need the A5 camera (which is quite visible in the top centre of the windscreen) and Traffic Sign Recognition enabled. If you have TSR, traffic signs will still show in the maxi dot without the maps SD inserted once the camera sees them. I have the Amundsen system also and getting maps to work is simply putting the SD card in the correct slot, no updates required, it reads the maps directly from the SD Card.

I believe other users had issues if using a MAC to put the maps files on the SD card, something to be aware of.

Tbh I have to agree with @Rustynuts, it's not clear what you are trying to do!

2 hours ago, GladysFriday said:

Glad I found your post BillyJim - I was wondering how long the update may take as it took 5 hours to download!!

Once you have the data on the SD card (or you can use a 32 GB USB drive if you have one) then it takes about 35-40 minutes to transfer the data to the car. The ignition has to be on whilst doing this so it's best to do it whilst driving somewhere (although that might be difficult in the current climate).

• 1 month later...

Hi

I want to update my maps but I don't know if I have a Amundsen or a Columbus system, because it looks like in one you need the original Skoda SD card and on the other any SD card will do.

How can I check which system do I have??
I join a picture of my actual and original Skoda SD card.

Superb 2.0TDI 150cv Style from JUN2018

Skoda SD Card.jpg

7 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Does your sat nav work without the sd card inserted? If so, Columbus. If not, Amundsen.

Thanks Rustynuts
I have checked and it does not work without the SD card.

So it is a Amundsen.

This means I have to use my original SD card.

Now I have to look for how to update  my maps.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, Kirstylm said:

I have a 2018 superb 3 estate. Bought a month ago. It didn’t have satnav as card, so the non-Skoda dealer we bought it from got a memory card and downloaded the data, but it’s still not working? Any help?

That looks like an Amundsen - you need a proper Skoda SD card rather than a 3rd party one :)

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

That looks like an Amundsen - you need a proper Skoda SD card rather than a 3rd party one :)

I've got a genuine 2019 Skoda card. still in its case you can have for £20.........cost me small fortune from the dealer.

• 10 months later...

My car currently has no SD memory card installed for maps; I would like to update this for my 2017 Superb as they are set to its 2017 build date. I have inputted the VIN on the Skoda Portal and believe it's a Columbus system.

If i purchase a generic 32GB SD card what physical size card do i need?