Sat nav sd card

Sorry to hijack this thread but I take it that if I have the following infotainment (pic attached) I don't have satnav and just continue with android auto?

TIA

20240301_120912.jpg

I'm not sure what system that is.  According to the facia panel there should be navigation - is there a SD card in the correct slot?

Thanks Warrior193, I don't even know if there's a slot for one, just bought the car from Skoda, I can tell you: Model is SE TSI S-A late 2022

1 minute ago, Warrior193 said:

Have you checked for SD slots inside the glove compartment?

Not yet, I'll go now and look to see if there's a slot. Thank you

Nope just a stereo-sized slot covered up and a weird 0 to * rotary dial that I've also seen under the armrest and have no idea what they do.

The rotary dial is almost certainly for the glove compartment cooling from the A/C. 

If you can post the infotainment system information, someone with knowledge of it should be able to help you. 

• Like 1

I've had a look online and it appears that MIB3 systems load map updates OTA - or they can be updated using a memory stick plugged into the USB-C port.

• Like 1

Cheers Warrior193, just for perspective, I bought the car from a Skoda/VW garage a couple of weeks ago and the salesman wasn't that knowledgable about stuff so I don't know what he knew or didn't know.

In that light, when he said "oh this car doesn't have satnav" upon seeing that screen that I uploaded earlier, I was surprised that he said that after seeing the word "Nav" and seing the map appear on it, I figured why would they load that up if it wasn't available.

Sure, I can use Android Auto, but the purpose of investigating this and the non-functioning interior rear lighting was because if there's something under warranty that can be sorted, I want to do it before I forget and/or warranty runs out.

MIB3 I've not heard of.

2 minutes ago, semiroundel said:

Cheers Warrior193, just for perspective, I bought the car from a Skoda/VW garage a couple of weeks ago and the salesman wasn't that knowledgable about stuff so I don't know what he knew or didn't know.

In that light, when he said "oh this car doesn't have satnav" upon seeing that screen that I uploaded earlier, I was surprised that he said that after seeing the word "Nav" and seing the map appear on it, I figured why would they load that up if it wasn't available.

Sure, I can use Android Auto, but the purpose of investigating this and the non-functioning interior rear lighting was because if there's something under warranty that can be sorted, I want to do it before I forget and/or warranty runs out.

MIB3 I've not heard of.

MIB3 is the name of the VAG infotainment system version since around 2021. There are different models, some without nav - but I'd say yours has, as it has the selector button.  

• Like 1

Thanks, that's interesting as a little Goggling I did, if I did it right, said that the SE TSI S-A didn't list SatNav.

Really, as I'm comfortable with TomTomGO it's more about being denied something I've essentially paid for, and if I were to sell in a few years, if I was due it on this car, I should get it anyway or just in case I forget my phone .

There are often different options for the various trim levels - Sat Nav may not have been standard, but added as an option. I find it odd that the navigation button is present if that unit doesn't have it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! 👋🏻

I just wanted to give my 2 cents to this discussion.

Firstly, thank you sooo much @BillyJim for your comment here. I was on the edge of my mind and almost lost my last hope, but I've finally came across your comment and it was the missing piece I've been looking for! Thank you! 🙏🏻

Next, I'd like to combine all my knowledge and previous experiences, and leave them here for the future reference of everyone who's looking for help/guidance on updating their maps and/or infotainment system.

My setup:

• Car: OCTAVIA III vRS 2.0 TDI (2013)
  • Infotainment system: MIB 2 COLUMBUS
  • Computer: MacBook Pro 16" (2019)
  • SD card: SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 GB SDXC (non-factory card, bought from the retail store, not from the SKODA dealership)
  • Maps:
    • Before update: ECE 2013/2014 (as preinstalled in the factory)
    • After update: ECE 2024 (downloaded from the official SKODA site)

The steps I took to finally make it all work and to be able to update the COLUMBUS system:

• Format the SD card to exFAT, using the built-in Disk Utility app.
  • Copy ONLY the following files/directories onto the SD card:
    • metainfo2.txt (file)
    • Mib1 (directory)
    • Mib2 (directory)
  • Delete the hidden files generated automatically by the macOS system. You can do it e.g. by using the CleanMyMac X app (read more here and here).
  • Eject the SD card from the computer. It can be either safe eject or normal/brute one - it didn't make a difference in my case.

...and that's it. You should be good to go 🙂

Once again, thank you all for all your posts and tips which led me to finally being able to update my COLUMBUS system. And, of course, special thanks to you, @BillyJim ❤️

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9644.jpg

Edited by staszek998
Formatting & readability improvements
  • Like 1

On 01/03/2024 at 15:30, semiroundel said:

Sorry to hijack this thread but I take it that if I have the following infotainment (pic attached) I don't have satnav and just continue with android auto?

TIA

20240301_120912.jpg

In your case, you need to install the SWAP code. 
There is a manual on how to install the Swap code : 

There is the SWAP code generator: https://www.tg.onlep.cz/ 
You need 08400008 - Maps Skoda MIB2 Std Eu

Map updates  and a lot of other information (map updates) you can find herehttps://mib-helper.com/ 

Patch to allow maps from any SD Card. 
https://mibwiki.one/doc/cid-patch-to-allow-maps-from-any-sd-eP90AjJFOZ