Columbus Map Update 2024 (MIB1/2 HIGH)

Once Google lets me download it I'll check it against the other site which is what I was trying to do with the Mibsolutions one but they were corrupted in the zip file. The Mibsolutions ones, had the creation date in them back in November whilst the http://map.audi-mib.ru/ have it as February. The ones I used. Was planning to delve deeper just to see whether it was exactly the same material, less the two Russian advert files. Basically, you can see what the site did installed it and re-zipped it... good to check. I see zloybob is said to have a hand in these files.

Here we go

https://www.drive2.ru/l/668834848395250015/

More links 🤣. Background info.

Same person as the stripped down 350 Mib2 high early release.

Feels about right as I said before freeze date of the map files six months before release but they have mastered quicker turnround which is why we see them now but not officially. 

Edited by Tell

On 23/02/2024 at 10:36, breaddownunder said:

I still cannot update no matter which version i try. Any one in Australia with a MKIII Octavia managed to update maps?

Yes, via the VW link from Tell above (https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z). Tried several times with the Skoda portal downloads but it kept failing at 60%. VW version worked fine for me so far (no major trips as yet...). FYI, using a 2010 Mac Pro running Mojave (10.14), 64GB SD card.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bard61 said:

Yes, via the VW link from Tell above (https://navigation-maps.volkswagen.com/vw-maps/P353_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z). Tried several times with the Skoda portal downloads but it kept failing at 60%. VW version worked fine for me so far (no major trips as yet...). FYI, using a 2010 Mac Pro running Mojave (10.14), 64GB SD card.

Yes and if the infotainment unit is really stuffed and won't work with that VW file then get SWDL enabled and force an update with that VW file. I say that since if it thinks it's got the update it won't update again to a file that works. That's my thinking. I have reversed map updates using SWDL when I've been experimenting, its a feature it's got other people out of difficulties in the past with software updates. Normal onscreen built in "update" will only go one way, "upwards"... useful tool to enable when having issues. You do need to run it with the door open or open and close it every 15 minutes till finished, stops power down else you have to start the process again. Why I posted up those screens. There is a manual / automatic toggle you can dance around to selectively update specific entities of updates.

Don't forget CleanMyDrive on the SD card if using a recent Mac else the garbage in the files left will trip the SLA1 signature check and won't see an update. That's the VW recommendation. Does come up from time to time with Mac users. Pass on what Mojave does on a Mac... 😑.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BooBoo124 said:

Done a comparison now of the Google Drive one and

http://map.audi-mib.ru/

If you remove the two Russian files they put in above which don't have a bearing, the contents of the files are identical with the CRC check (basically a data fingerprint check of the contents for being identical):

Gdrive.thumb.png.f8e82df46fcbb9936544d7ab76fdcdae.png

Always good to know 👍.

Google drive if it's not overloaded is faster but failing that the Mega link with the VPN tricks once time is up if you don't subscribe.

Edited by Tell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2024 at 11:09, Tell said:

And any one who can activate the developers menu to get SWDL for you over there. There have been other Australians over there with it working on the thread but guess the one that got stuck part the way through needs unsticking with SWDL.

I suspect it was a faulty file created by Skoda / VW on the link where I said use the other one but has got stuck part in. There were issues on the European one on file creation but since the EU people are more in number than RoW... It didn't get fixed. You need the backend menu to do a re-install. (SWDL I'll be running here tomorrow on the June 2024 supposed EU release... since I know I can get back if there are issues).

If you do get the map installed, select a destination and shows maps for 30 seconds then tells you its not valid, then that is your FeCs... been there, done that, since its a Skoda it won't be that. Just got some corrupted data in it that faulted it. It's corrupted in manufacture of the files not in the processing of it at your end since the files are signed. They will only get read if they presented correctly, clean my drives etc. Once they start being read if it throws up an error then it's the manufacturing of the download... that was the issue on the first EU ones, Skoda.

I got to the developers menu through OBDeleven. From there, i can't seem to do much, can't select do to manual updates either. I only got one code which is 081d0003 only, not sure what that is for.

12 hours ago, breaddownunder said:

I got to the developers menu through OBDeleven. From there, i can't seem to do much, can't select do to manual updates either. I only got one code which is 081d0003 only, not sure what that is for.

You have to hang onto the menu button till it opens the second menu as per above. It did take 24 hours or so for the developers menu to appear once enabled. Think it builds extra code or something. Once built you can always bring it up and you will see SWDL. That you use with either the door open for 45 minutes of map update or open and close it every 15 minutes. Give you a spare 5 minutes grace. Thats a manual update, you can go to old maps or new maps forcing an update. I suggest you force the 23-24 maps in. If you get them back try with the VW file for 24 or just try that.

The menu says start or something which is the normal update or you press start manual download which is the selective update. You'll get the idea. You can dive up and down on the manual update. Either way the screen tell you what is possible to update.

This is what a mib1 high columbus looks like

Not saying you should follow those instructions since MartiniB has posted the files up. Normally if you Google the part number of the infotainment you can determine whether mib2 high or mib1 high. This unit has the carousel that got changed to tiles in mib2 high although you can have the carousel as optional. So if you are seeing the menu as tiles it's definitely a mib2 high.

SWDL on this one at 1:32 that's a demonstration of the selective update. That I reckon will get you out of the issue. You do it with the map on the SD card he's doing it with a firmware update. It does either but we want to do map update from the backend which is what SWDL gives you. Remember to keep power on else it forgets every thing it's done in the session, doesn't pick up from where it left off unlike the normal map update.

Edited by Tell

Thank, so i managed to force the map update last night. Actually left them running in the car overnight (found the battery a bit low today, lol). I do have the maps now but i do get the navigation error after some time in the screen. How do i remove that?

The navigation error after say after 30 seconds once you pick a destination is your navigation FeCs. We haven't got down to the bottom of whether it's a mib1 high or a mib2 high. I have a suspicion it might be a mib1 high as you alluded to. I know how to update the mib2 high navigation FeCs but not the mib 1 high ones. If you revert the maps back to the one you came from the error will go away. You need to find that on the net if you have got a mib1 high.

Toolkits are available for mib2 high to amend the navigation FeC and I've sent one of your fellow country men to do it once I think that was an import mib2 high they had, but not mib1 high. I don't believe those tools exist for DIY, the services of a retrofitter is required in that case to put it on a workbench.

Only if a mib2 high is DIY with this:

https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash

The other route again for mib2 high is the AIO firmware software that run the above after it's installed the rest. How the Audi posters you see have got here I think. That again you need a mib2 high.

Think if your unit is a mib1 high rather than a mib2 high you need your navigation FeCs professionally adjusted by a reliable retrofitter. You want the life long NAR FeCs put in it. Basically Seat and Audi  Mib2 high owners were like this till it became a DIY task. Skoda and VW owners with mib2 highs have the luxury of life long navigation FeCs, the other two made a business model out of charging for map upgrades in one way or another.

5 minutes ago, Tell said:

The navigation error after say after 30 seconds once you pick a destination is your navigation FeCs. We haven't got down to the bottom of whether it's a mib1 high or a mib2 high. I have a suspicion it might be a mib1 high as you alluded to. I know how to update the mib2 high navigation FeCs but not the mib 1 high ones. If you revert the maps back to the one you came from the error will go away. You need to find that on the net if you have got a mib1 high.

Toolkits are available for mib2 high to amend the navigation FeC and I've sent one of your fellow country men to do it once I think that was an import mib2 high they had, but not mib1 high. I don't believe those tools exist for DIY, the services of a retrofitter is required in that case to put it on a workbench.

Only if a mib2 high is DIY with this:

https://github.com/Mr-MIBonk/M.I.B._More-Incredible-Bash

The other route again for mib2 high is the AIO firmware software that run the above after it's installed the rest. How the Audi posters you see have got here I think. That again you need a mib2 high.

Think if your unit is a mib1 high rather than a mib2 high you need your navigation FeCs professionally adjusted by a reliable retrofitter. You want the life long NAR FeCs put in it. Basically Seat and Audi  Mib2 high owners were like this till it became a DIY task. Skoda and VW owners with mib2 highs have the luxury of life long navigation FeCs, the other two made a business model out of charging for map upgrades in one way or another.

But apparently i have a FEC for lifetime maps in my Skoda anyway? It's only under installed FEC and there is nothing under supported FEC.
081d0003.
I also tried fixing the SVM with the XOR thingy but it won't let me save it.
And yes, it's a MIB 1 High.

Edited by breaddownunder

SVM error is fine, they work  fine with that error, doesn't stop the unit working. The navigation FeC will be listed as installed.

Your screen doesn't look like the one in this thread... he got no replies

https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/752818-Columbus-MIB1-map-update-help-5E0035020

The mib2 high when it's run off the end of valid navigation FeCs is to flash the map up for 30 seconds after picking a valid destination then it te'll you, you aren't licensed for the map. That's when you need the life long FeC. May be mib1 high does that above.

You need to see a table with the navigation FeCs listed for mib1 high by year. You can find the Audi ones I constructed the Seat ones when a dubious retrofitters. Ok well mib-helper puts that at RoW mib1.

The other thing is whether there is a production issue on the map. Skoda did have one. Have you tried VW or is that it. Then you have to start working backwards in years till you find a map that world.

Feels like a production issue if SWDL is showing ok to the entities of the maps if it's like mib2, should show eggnog etc as OK. Like I had above / nothing to update. If the entities aren't written to I can believe that it wouldn't work.  So the Skoda Australian success on the thread has been on mib2 rather than mib1.

@MartiniB

Thanks very much to you and the other contributors. Managed to update the maps to 2024 version from 2017 via sd card with no issues. Much appreciated

• Like 1

On 07/03/2024 at 03:18, Tell said:

SVM error is fine, they work  fine with that error, doesn't stop the unit working. The navigation FeC will be listed as installed.

Your screen doesn't look like the one in this thread... he got no replies

https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/752818-Columbus-MIB1-map-update-help-5E0035020

The mib2 high when it's run off the end of valid navigation FeCs is to flash the map up for 30 seconds after picking a valid destination then it te'll you, you aren't licensed for the map. That's when you need the life long FeC. May be mib1 high does that above.

You need to see a table with the navigation FeCs listed for mib1 high by year. You can find the Audi ones I constructed the Seat ones when a dubious retrofitters. Ok well mib-helper puts that at RoW mib1.

The other thing is whether there is a production issue on the map. Skoda did have one. Have you tried VW or is that it. Then you have to start working backwards in years till you find a map that world.

Feels like a production issue if SWDL is showing ok to the entities of the maps if it's like mib2, should show eggnog etc as OK. Like I had above / nothing to update. If the entities aren't written to I can believe that it wouldn't work.  So the Skoda Australian success on the thread has been on mib2 rather than mib1.

I got no clue, and the error i get i cannot find online at all. Weird.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Stupotpat said:

@MartiniB

Thanks very much to you and the other contributors. Managed to update the maps to 2024 version from 2017 via sd card with no issues. Much appreciated

You can be a daredevil and load up the June 2024, 2024-2025 on a mib2 high as Booboo and I did for Europe, release 370.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/518018-columbus-map-update-2024-mib12-high/?do=findComment&comment=5830006

That one does have cartography on it six months later than then 2024 one. Only works for the mib2 high not mib1 high.

You'll see Boo Boo told us about it higher up. Several links too it, before that. Originated from the new Iron Curtain who had liberated it from Audi. Reckon that will be the source later once Skoda, Seat and VW files dry up on the 5 year rule.

I'd used the 350 European one ahead of its combined release on this thread. Audi provide the file in three forms as I understand it. The combined mib1/mib2 high (the big one), then split into mib1 high and mib2 high. The conversation is on mib2 high here.

It works like a dream. Theory is to due mib3 connected cars and the monthly update these files can be run off much more quicker than previously. They then lay about waiting to be released three months later. That's my theory. This one appeared three months before formal lease.  Thus I reckon a good chance of seeing "390" in September. We'll see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, just a question. Have latest maps. But Im interested in this: what do I need to update maps in a car via notebook? How can I do that?

in our country have some guys which can update maps in some minutes via notebook.

64gb USB or SD card to fit into it in situ. If they professioning to be doing it quicker than 45 minutes they will be doing it on a "bench" some how. I'd stick to USB or SD.

Ok I'm a complete noob in this world - 

i) I have an MIB1 Columbus Model - is that the same as MIB1 High? 

ii) If so - does that mean we can still update our maps? I thought MIB1 was no longer supported since 2021/22. 

1 hour ago, foregonereality said:

Ok I'm a complete noob in this world - 

i) I have an MIB1 Columbus Model - is that the same as MIB1 High? 

ii) If so - does that mean we can still update our maps? I thought MIB1 was no longer supported since 2021/22. 

1. Yes

2. Yes but we don't see them too often.

On 2. If you are going to do the upgrade then best to locate a copy of your original files so you can revert back. But you will probably be OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tell said:

1. Yes

2. Yes but we don't see them too often.

On 2. If you are going to do the upgrade then best to locate a copy of your original files so you can revert back. But you will probably be OK.

Thank you for the update, Tell! Much appreciated. 

For my MIB 1 Columbus - are the maps shown on Skoda's update portal the most up to date or should I be getting them from mib-helper.com? Looking at the file names they both mention P350, so I'm hoping that means they're both the most up to date. 

On the firmware side I've updated my system to 411 and fortunately no errors; I was concerned as I especially had CANTON and apparently there can be issues regarding the external amp.

I'm pleasantly surprised re: the maps. I thought VAG just stopped updating MIB1 platforms altogether a few years back. My street might actually be on the map now as opposed to a random field. 

Is there an ability to update the gracenote database on MIB1 High?

Edited by foregonereality

25 minutes ago, foregonereality said:

Thank you for the update, Tell! Much appreciated. 

For my MIB 1 Columbus - are the maps shown on Skoda's update portal the most up to date or should I be getting them from mib-helper.com? Looking at the file names they both mention P350, so I'm hoping that means they're both the most up to date. 

On the firmware side I've updated my system to 411 and fortunately no errors; I was concerned as I especially had CANTON and apparently there can be issues regarding the external amp.

I'm pleasantly surprised re: the maps. I thought VAG just stopped updating MIB1 platforms altogether a few years back. My street might actually be on the map now as opposed to a random field. 

Is there an ability to update the gracenote database on MIB1 High?

It's the 370 ones which are the June 2024 ones that have been found that are only mib2. Russian site and mib2 solutions one.  Normally if you load the maps in regularly you are protected from anything going wrong, if you load them in via the backend menu then not. So when I said have you a backup that doesn't apply (we hope). 350 with mib1 and mib2 will be circa 32gb. Anything thing smaller like 16gb aren't the two combined. Has been spliced into mib1 and mib2. The Audi files are released in three forms, combined and component. Other brand released Skoda, VW and Seat are combined mib1 / mib2.

Gracenotes mib1 high. I might pass on that. I've never found a need to upgrade Gracenotes. I put the album art on each SD album 512x512 via directory. Saved as Cover.jpg. That's the standard DNLA mini server spec of the time that was adopted in mib2 high, any larger and it might pop the program bounds - I've seen that in mib2 standard where it corrupts the unit and it reboots. The dnla mini server spec is used by ASUS in their routers, so does for me to bridge the gap between home and car for music files. I use ASUS at home. Think if playing CDs in the car it might come in or MP3. I've seen it once in the car where I did not get my album art saved correctly, Gracenotes stepped in with some art.

There are troops of people digitizing those fields... well not troops. Either via peak a boo in Here Maps to see what's been left off their maps compared with others via digital analysis. Track analysis of GPS signals, they get them back off vehicles using their systems or loyal crowd sourcing watching for developments. Developers publish their plans, postcode directory, LA based planning maps which have house number clues and aerial images reveal the developments as being there. The car coming round also. The fly in the ointment are developers roads that half brained people digitise, those roads become fact as mapping companies copy each other. When an estate is built the developers use their own roads to shift the building material around and store it. They get digitised in. The half brains also put the roads through front gardens since they never look at the planning maps. Those maps also show bollards. Why you find a road across someone's front garden. Google maps are just as bad. They don't practise rigger and fail validation.

• Like 1

Another question to Tell and others in the know -

Having installed 0411 on my Columbus MIB1 with Canton I couldn't help but notice this evening that, when muted, I can hear a static like 'hiss' sound. 

I don't know if it's related to the firmware; but after hearing this issue I went about fixing the B201A error and cleared it via OBDeleven and unfortunately, even though the car no longer reports any errors/issues on rescan, the hiss is still there.

Is there something I need to do to readjust the Canton system given that I've updated the firmware? I literally have to turn off the radio to get the noise to stop.

PXL_20240418_011043045.thumb.jpg.53d9fa48fac70484ed5fcdefe01da657.jpg

Edited by foregonereality

The only thing I can think of is whether equaliser / balance changed in the update ?. You could down tune bands may be. Afraid I have tinnitus so I'm use to whistling 24/7 irrespective whether I'm in a car or not.

• Like 1