No dealer no chain rattle

After 6 years being loyal to a Skoda dealer I decided to trust my local independent with an oil change service. I had regular chain rattle on start up when the car was officially serviced by Skoda but the chain rattle has now gone. I noticed that a silver oil filter with VW printed on it so a genuine replacement. Formerly, a black oil filter was fitted at the dealers so possibly a VAG 'fit all' was used.

I am pleased I made the break and saved a few bob in the process.

5w 40 FS to VW502 is not the wrong oil if you want it and do Fixed Service Intervals. It is a choice you can make with TSI's.

You can use VW 504 so 5w 30 FS III (long life Oil) for Fixed or Variable with TSI,s.   

As to the Silver VW Group filters with non drip removal they introduced in maybe 2012, i never used them with TSI's 

i stuck with Mahle filters. 

(when 1.2 TSI's changed in 2011 some Dealerships were reported as having fitted the wrong filters, not as in black instead of Silver, but actually the wrong filter for that particular 1.2 TSI's.

1519881723_59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG.c094bf3723efef199470d9fa9e7a0d07(1).PNG.329ec03ddef86f057838f4837c698970.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

He used a 5W/30W fully synthetic. When the car was new it had a silver filter. Anyhow, I am pleased that that death rattle has now gone on every start up hot or cold

Edited by edbostan

• 2 weeks later...