What gearbox!?

59 minutes ago, Absolutelysuperb said:

Hi I picked up my first superb estate elegance yesterday 😘 what a car! Looking at the owners manual and service book I can’t find the actual box I have ? All I know is it’s a 7 speed but don’t know if it’s a wet or the dry one ???? 

7-speed is dry clutch, 6-speed is wet clutch.

VAG's line on gearboxes over the years has been that they consider their manual gearboxes sealed for life and that there's no need to change the oil in them. This line essentially applies to the dry clutch DSG also as the gearbox itself is essentially two manuals bolted into a single casing with the clutches outside. The reason the wet-clutch DSG requires frequent servicing is that the clutches are inside the gear casing, immersed in the oil (hence wet clutch), and the performance of the clutches would degrade rapidly if the oil wasn't changed regularly.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether the 7-speed uses a separate oil supply for the hydraulics or whether it shares the gearbox oil for this purpose like the wet clutch DSG. This again is a reason for changing the wet clutch 'box's oil regularly as old oil would cause problems with the mechatronic unit and the hydraulics.

There were recalls issued for some of the 7-speed 'boxes to change the oil from synthetic to mineral but I'm not familiar with the specifics. You should be able to dig up information on this by searching around here, or another poster familiar with the issue might chime in.

Beyond all this, it's probably no harm to change the gearbox oil every once in a while anyway, but as for when to do it, that's a trickier question. Some would say around the 150-160000 km mark and it's probably a sane enough choice.

As for the manual, VAG tend not to put much service information in the owner's manual beyond basic driveway checks. Some aspects of servicing are at the discretion of the importer as well which complicates things a bit more. You can purchase a subscription to erWin if you want to download the service manuals. It's about €30 for a 24 h sub and that's plenty IME to get everything you need.

@Absolutelysuperb

The World wide recall that excluded Europe which got a Service Campaign is on the DQ200 DSG 2009-2012/13 and was a change from the factory fill Synthetic oil to mineral oil and a software update. '34f7'

Then in 2017 another service campaign was started for some from 2013-2015. '34H5' a Software update.

Many cars / DSG's missed this a a Recall started in Australia in 2019 and now in Europe Skoda seem to be catching up on cars that missed '34H5'  just not very publiclly.

So best check if done if no sign of a sticker in the spare tyre well and a car from 2009-2015.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

My 508GT has a 'sealed for life' 6 speed Aisin in it.

I had it serviced at 8 years/130k. it wasn't playing up or anything, maybe a little 'notchy' on startup selecting reverse.

What came out wasn't pretty and the improvement after the service was well worth the effort.

This will be a regular service from now on.

Having said all that, the 6 speed DSG in my Superb is a lot better box!