New windscreen

So a week or so ago I got a fairly large ‘bullseye’ stonechip right on the centreline of the steering wheel and had to have a new screen.

The fitting was fine but now (despite me asking them to check) the parking ticket holder doesn’t touch the screen so won’t work. Does anyone have any tips for fixing this (a-pillar trim off presumably). 

Also (and a minor point this, but it annoys me) the fritting patten on the Pilkington screen is very badly designed and creates a distracting effect. Perhaps someone here will understand and shares my pain!

A9DF7DB0-BC69-4DFF-AF86-BC0E5532DF83.jpeg

not sure if the Mk3 is the same as the MK2 Octavia, on those the parking ticket holder was fitted between the screen and A pillar and once broken off could not be replaced

Edit after looking it shoud be an easy swap to replace it with a new one 

Edited by allan1888

23 minutes ago, allan1888 said:

not sure if the Mk3 is the same as the MK2 Octavia, on those the parking ticket holder was fitted between the screen and A pillar and once broken off could not be replaced

Edit after looking it shoud be an easy swap to replace it with a new one 

The ticket holder is fastened on with a single screw, If you remove the passenger side A pillar you can fit one on that side as well, the hole is there and already threaded

• Like 1

11 hours ago, webweasel said:

I think the screen is slightly further out than before. I might be able to take off the clip and bend it a bit more in some hot water...

I had to have a new screen fitted a few weeks ago. I also think  the new screen sits further way as there is now a gap of around 2mm where the lane camera fits to the windscreen.  The actual housing was bonded to the new screen from the windscreen factory.  The new screen is a Pilkington brand, Identical to the Skoda screen. the only difference I can't see the  Skoda word/badge on the new screen. The work was carried out by Auto Windscreens in Hull and I'm pleased with their work

This is why I needed a new screen. A large double bulls eye plus cracked glass.  If this had happened a few years ago the Half Brick would have come through the windscreen and hit Mrs G 

IMG_2757.jpg

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Sad 1

The ticket holder is indeed secured to the A-pillar using a single screw...

GENUINE-SKODA-PARKING-TICKET-HOLDER-BRACKET-FOR-KAROQ-KODIAQ-SUPERB-2015-ONWARDS

y2aqusam.jpg

Unfortunately the care taken by a lot of screen fitters these days can leave a lot to be desired. Saying that it can't be easy to replace a screen to within a millimetre of where the original was, considering it is simply squashed onto a bead of adhesive.

Be careful trying to heat it up and bend it, the plastic is quite brittle, many have gone the distance simply due to them getting caught on the cloth when cleaning the inside of the windscreen.

As for the black dots, the only way to avoid this is to insist on the fitting of a genuine Skoda windscreen. It'll depend on the screen company you choose, but I found that by complaining enough they eventually agreed to fit the more expensive genuine screen.

Here is my tale of woe, luckily it sounds as though the calibration of the onscreen sensors and cameras was not an issue for you...

Edited by silver1011

7 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Auto Windscreens in Hull have all the equipment needed to Calibrate any sensors which need Calibrating 

Thanks, useful to know - only a few miles from me

• Like 1

The feed tubes to the washer jets are  disconnected to remove the scuttle tray.

He's probably forgotten to reconnect them.

Be careful, you might be flooding washer fluid over the engine bay or worse into the interior somewhere...

20180329_134145.thumb.jpg.dc57d311a2928a6388060f57d86bb54e.jpg

• Thanks 1

I wouldnt have said the sun glare strip was distracting - its a decent size.  My Audi doesnt have one so i ended up making one out of black Vinyl as the sun glares through the gap

Edited by ScoutCJB

1 hour ago, ScoutCJB said:

I wouldnt have said the sun glare strip was distracting - its a decent size.  My Audi doesnt have one so i ended up making one out of black Vinyl as the sun glares through the gap

It’s not the shade strip itself that’s distracting, it’s the arrangement of the dots. It’s different to the oem screen and there’s an interference pattern that jumps out if you look from a certain angle. Not clever of whoever designed it.

20 hours ago, webweasel said:

It’s not the shade strip itself that’s distracting, it’s the arrangement of the dots. It’s different to the oem screen and there’s an interference pattern that jumps out if you look from a certain angle. Not clever of whoever designed it.

What brand screen is it?

On 18/03/2020 at 07:45, Auric Goldfinger said:

I had to have a new screen fitted a few weeks ago. I also think  the new screen sits further way as there is now a gap of around 2mm where the lane camera fits to the windscreen.  The actual housing was bonded to the new screen from the windscreen factory.  The new screen is a Pilkington brand, Identical to the Skoda screen. the only difference I can't see the  Skoda word/badge on the new screen. The work was carried out by Auto Windscreens in Hull and I'm pleased with their work

This is why I needed a new screen. A large double bulls eye plus cracked glass.  If this had happened a few years ago the Half Brick would have come through the windscreen and hit Mrs G 

IMG_2757.jpg

My new screen was a Pilkington Brand.  I haven't noticed any problem with the sun shading dots

7 hours ago, webweasel said:

Pilkington

Thats what was in mine ....  Cant say I never noticed any issues.  If its bothering you get some black vinyl to cover over it.  I did this on ones side to hide my dash cam from view.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I just fixed the parking ticket clip. You can’t bend the clip using hot water or a hairdryer so I resorted to holding it near an electric grill element (with pliers!)  until it started to soften. Worked a treat. Do draw a profile of the clip before you heat it though, so you don’t go too far out.

• Like 2