Upgrade to battery box from felt surround.

J.R.

This applies to the Faclift Octavia 2, the facelift Yeti and probably all of the later vehicles with the flimsy felt battery surround.

If like me you have changed the battery from an 027 to a larger capacity 096 unit you will have found that the felt surround is no longer big enough and looks even more naff with a gap in the side join & top flap that does not fit.

The engine bay always looked unfinished compared to my Octavia 2 and it looked like the Octavia battery cover would fit the battery tray, they were very cheap on ali-Express so I took a punt and am very pleased with the result.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000350318451.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e944c4dr7vfmK

IMG_20200319_143416[1].jpg

Edited by J.R.

Its a tight fit, best do a dry run without the battery then fit only the rear part of the box, fit the battery then slide down the front part of the box while encouraging the cable to pass through the cut out for it, then the front fixing lugs can be clipped in with a long screwdriver & the lid fitted.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of batteries...

I have a Ctek MXS 5.0 charger and as we know the red clip goes to the positive pole and the black clip to the car chassis.

Now, it also comes with two `eyelets` that allow you to permanently connect to the battery allowing long time charging.

The thing I don't really get is BOTH eyelets are connected to the battery...red to positive and black to negative.

Can anyone tell me how this can be?

Many thanks.

16 hours ago, mandp said:

Talking of batteries...

I have a Ctek MXS 5.0 charger and as we know the red clip goes to the positive pole and the black clip to the car chassis.

Now, it also comes with two `eyelets` that allow you to permanently connect to the battery allowing long time charging.

The thing I don't really get is BOTH eyelets are connected to the battery...red to positive and black to negative.

Can anyone tell me how this can be?

Many thanks.

Ctek have assumed that you can just connect to the battery on every car - their instructions haven't caught up with (or don't take account of) cars with battery management systems that need to monitor ALL current going into and out of the battery.

Edited by PetrolDave

I recently purchased a battery cover protector for my husband's Octavia 1.0TSI....will put some photos up of it when it is fitted.  Standard ebay item.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Ctek have assumed that you can just connect to the battery on every car - their instructions haven't caught up with (or don't take account of) cars with battery management systems that need to monitor ALL current going into and out of the battery.

Thanks, Dave, for your reply.

Does that mean its safer to use the clips (to the positive pole and to the car) rather than the eyelets?

20 hours ago, mandp said:

Thanks, Dave, for your reply.

Does that mean its safer to use the clips (to the positive pole and to the car) rather than the eyelets?

If it's going to be a long term connection I personally would use the eyelets on the positive pole and bodywork as that removes the risk of the crocodile clips flying off if their springs fatigue.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the CTEK MXS 10 charger. I fitted the eyelets, red to the battery positive clamp, black to the large "tongue" sticking out quite close to the battery negative terminal where, I assume, the negative crocodile clip would be attached. I removed the "tongue" securing screw fitted the eyelet them replaced the screw. Handy now because I can connect up the charger and lower the bonnet while it is charging the battery from my caravan hook up post. I also bought another extension lead with the eyelets from CTEK and fitted this to my caravan battery for convenience. Hooking up the charger to either car or caravan is now a two minute job.