Citigo ABS

Osc

Evening all

I have had a citigo from new 64 plate now being used by daughter in law. She was complaining of juddering brakes.

I had a drive and it seems to me that the abs is kicking in everytime brakes are applied. There are no lights on dash

when braking either. Could this be the ABS  sensor on the  wheel? If so does it have to go to dealer to diagnose which one? Car drives ok

and does not pull to the side when applying brakes.

Thanks

Barry

I'm not familiar with Citigo ABS, but if the ABS is activated, is there not a dash light that comes on? - most other cars I've had show a light. 

Is the juddering coming from the pedal or the wheels? If the former, then that should be the ABS. If so if could well be a sensor, a connector or a build up of dirt on the reluctor ring, but you would normally get a dash fault-light and error code via an odb dongle if you have one.

Have you tried emergency braking in a way that would definitively cause ABS to trigger, to compare the effect? 

Thanks for reply's.

Discs and pads changed in November

Definitely the pedal  and no ABS light coming on 

Tried the emergency stop and its exactly the same as

what is happening while braking at normal speed.

The car stops fine though

Unfortunately we live 50 miles from them and not

now going out so I cant do any more checks.

A bit more info.

Ignition on ABS light on for a couple of seconds then went off -normal I think

Car started and driven (car been stood overnight) brakes fine

Once car starts to warm up brakes start to judder like ABS is kicking in but no ABS light flashing at all,

To be fair,how does she drive it?? Perhaps a  bit differently if some one is watching ??.If she is using heavy braking,bounce felt through the footbrake suggests warped discs.

Brought about by heat distorted  discs = heavy braking.Wheels need to come off ,disc run out needs to be checked.Could be discs and pads required again....only competition pads and discs can stand up to heavy use ..........

I've changed discs 5 times if not more for 3 Citigo which we have owned since 2013. Sometimes they last only 5000km. No heavy braking. I still can't say what is the reason

We had a permanent ABS light on the dash, no juddering and went on a diagnostic (no Skoda) with a local and it came back as offside front ABS sensor error code. 

‘They got a new sensor, fitted it, ABS light still on re-checked new code saying rear near side sensor fault. They replaced that then it came up with a front ABS wheel sensor at that point they rang me, re-fitted all original sensors and said the ABS pump was goosed.

They charged me £45 for all the messing around and sent the sensors back and I got a second hand pump off eBay from a VW Up with the exact same part number; they fitted it and recoded it and it’s been fine since. Pump was £60 and fitting/coding £150

Oh Skoda wanted £1300.00+VAT just for pump and quoted in excess of £2k with labour !!!

So if it ends up being your pump get the part number off it, as they are not all the same and go buy it second hand 👍

Edited by Defenderben

On 22/03/2020 at 11:42, Osc said:

A bit more info.

Ignition on ABS light on for a couple of seconds then went off -normal I think

Car started and driven (car been stood overnight) brakes fine

Once car starts to warm up brakes start to judder like ABS is kicking in but no ABS light flashing at all,

Do you feel juddering through the steering wheel when braking? The Citigo has a poorly designed setup that is very prone to warping even under moderate use. The reason for this I am not 100% sure of, but the setup is also very sensitive to wheel bolt torque. At very low speeds and small braking inputs, you will also feel the brake efficiency changing as the wheels turn if warping is the issue.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Picked car up yesterday. My mechanic who I use (and fitted discs/pads in November) checked car and found

offside disc to be warped!. Caliper piston checked and was ok. He has now changed both discs and pads again

supplied free from his supplier and with no cost to me.

Thanks for all your advice

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Osc said:

UPDATE

Picked car up yesterday. My mechanic who I use (and fitted discs/pads in November) checked car and found

offside disc to be warped!. Caliper piston checked and was ok. He has now changed both discs and pads again

supplied free from his supplier and with no cost to me.

Thanks for all your advice

Good to hear that it is sorted. My opinion on this is that the hub design is poor. I had 2 of these cars for a total of 200,000 miles. Things started off well, there was a slight hint of warping every now and then, under braking, but it got massively worse shortly after the front wheels where removed for the first time at a service. I replaced the disks and pads and was fastidious about hub prep and wheel bolt torque. Everything would be fine until the wheels had to come off for tyres or service. Same issues on both cars. 

I've never had this on any car before or since, so I'm reckoning poorly designed of made hubs. On the plus side, it's an easy and quick job on these.