spark plugs recommendation

12 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

you all still using the feeler gauge to measure?

i am going to buy thsi one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154365097668?epid=14017013976&hash=item23f0e076c4:g:QMQAAOSwFh5gR2cc

If you're really going to buy feeler gauges do yourself a favour and buy stainless, trust me, it's worth the extra munny.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sepulchrave said:

If you're really going to buy feeler gauges do yourself a favour and buy stainless, trust me, it's worth the extra munny.

thank you, i will have another look for stainless now.

which ones did you get?

2 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

thank you, i will have another look for stainless now.

which ones did you get?

I think mine are Starrett but we're talking 40 years ago so I really can't remember clearly, I can tell you my cheap steel set turned into a solid lump of rust years ago and got binned.

• Like 1

Just now, sepulchrave said:

I think mine are Starrett but we're talking 40 years ago so I really can't remember clearly, I can tell you my cheap steel set turned into a solid lump of rust years ago and got binned.

thank you for the suggestion

i have now just purchased this stainless steel ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353866977002

12 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

thank you for the suggestion

i have now just purchased this stainless steel ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353866977002

Good buy, when you get them, give them a good squirt of WD40 or similar before putting them away after you've used them, cheap stainless still gets spotty with rust over time.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Good buy, when you get them, give them a good squirt of WD40 or similar before putting them away after you've used them, cheap stainless still gets spotty with rust over time.

will have to try remember that.

2 minutes ago, thomasaspin said:

I use the gapping tool you linked but RTMG make one and I have that , you want a 0.6mm clearance to get the most efficient spark 

my engine needs 1.2mm gap.

3 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

One of the few Snap-On tools that I own and worth every penny, pound more like.

One side is flat usual size feeler blades, the other side are narrower and double cranked which in their day were very usefull for gapping points, they mainly get used on magneto ignition engines on garden & construction equipment these days.

The other Snap-On tools are 10mm and 13mm combination spanners.

You left them in your overall top pocket when they were collected by the laundry, I could have had no end of 10mm spanners, about half as many 13mm ones, absolutely nothing else though, I bought the feeler guages.