Battery Charging

Ok so may be a silly question but not up on all the latest tech these days.

So have a fabia with stop/start so am presuming it no longer has a lead acid battery. With not being able to use the car I would like to top it up once a week or so but can I use my normal battery charger or does it need to be something different?

Thanks

Glenn

44 minutes ago, glenn_btn said:

So have a fabia with stop/start so am presuming it no longer has a lead acid battery. With not being able to use the car I would like to top it up once a week or so but can I use my normal battery charger or does it need to be something different?

Thanks

Glenn

It still has a Lead Acid Battery, if it has stop/start function (as I think most have) it will be an EFB lead acid battery (Enhanced Flooded Battery) otherwise a standard lead acid battery.

Both can be charged with normal chargers, make sure you follow the instructions in the user manual, how to connect the charger. The negative lead of the charger must be connected to the ground tab on the engine bulkhead and NOT directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

All explained in other threads re battery charging.

Edited by xman

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2020 at 17:30, xman said:

It still has a Lead Acid Battery, if it has stop/start function (as I think most have) it will be an EFB lead acid battery (Enhanced Flooded Battery) otherwise a standard lead acid battery.

Both can be charged with normal chargers, make sure you follow the instructions in the user manual, how to connect the charger. The negative lead of the charger must be connected to the ground tab on the engine bulkhead and NOT directly to the negative terminal of the battery.

All explained in other threads re battery charging.

Xman, sorry if this sounds daft, I am all new to this car changing can you kindly assist me to identify where is ground tab on the engine bulkhead. In my Start stop Fabia manual states that I can plug the negative to the side bolt which is on the chassis. Sorry if this sounds daft. I plugged the charger with a positive clamp on a positive terminal and a negative clamp on a negative terminal, I honestly didn't know that on a start stop is a no-no. Please see my separate post of the following issues. Could this mistake mess up car system?

5 hours ago, EdHru said:

Xman, sorry if this sounds daft, I am all new to this car changing can you kindly assist me to identify where is ground tab on the engine bulkhead. In my Start stop Fabia manual states that I can plug the negative to the side bolt which is on the chassis. Sorry if this sounds daft. I plugged the charger with a positive clamp on a positive terminal and a negative clamp on a negative terminal, I honestly didn't know that on a start stop is a no-no. Please see my separate post of the following issues. Could this mistake mess up car system?

It's not the end of the world, it might confuse the car for a moment but that's about it.

If you follow the -ve cable from the battery terminal, it drops down to the right to a bolt on the wing. That's where you want to put the charger clamp (same for jump starting it from another car, or jump starting another car).

image.thumb.png.5d84c078bb1452a3a127bb50c96a1719.png

7 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

It's not the end of the world, it might confuse the car for a moment but that's about it.

If you follow the -ve cable from the battery terminal, it drops down to the right to a bolt on the wing. That's where you want to put the charger clamp (same for jump starting it from another car, or jump starting another car).

image.thumb.png.5d84c078bb1452a3a127bb50c96a1719.png

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. I found that bolt but just wasn't sure. You got same colour as mine :) what's with the toilet freshener hanging in there :). If you have a chance have a look at my post regarding the start stop error and EPC light coming on after the charge, not sure could this be related to the charge or not. Have me fright as the car is just outside of the warranty. Many thanks for your reply.

11 minutes ago, EdHru said:

Thanks mate, really appreciate it. I found that bolt but just wasn't sure. You got same colour as mine :) what's with the toilet freshener hanging in there :). If you have a chance have a look at my post regarding the start stop error and EPC light coming on after the charge, not sure could this be related to the charge or not. Have me fright as the car is just outside of the warranty. Many thanks for your reply.

Haha that's not mine, just grabbed a pic off the 'net. Mine's Quartz Grey;

IMG_9728_Reduced.thumb.jpg.a81a0461e04920710ff5a23bd6cd108e.jpg

13 minutes ago, EdHru said:

as the car is just outside of the warranty

Have a look at the extended warranty options. Might be worth getting that (i did with mine, and it saved me a new gearbox and labour!)

9 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

Haha that's not mine, just grabbed a pic off the 'net. Mine's Quartz Grey;

IMG_9728_Reduced.thumb.jpg.a81a0461e04920710ff5a23bd6cd108e.jpg

Have a look at the extended warranty options. Might be worth getting that (i did with mine, and it saved me a new gearbox and labour!)

That's nice colour. Did you get extended warranty direct from Skoda?

32 minutes ago, EdHru said:

That's nice colour. Did you get extended warranty direct from Skoda?

It's through Skoda's website, however it's through their 3rd party insurance, can't remember who exactly off hand, i remember being able to choose levels of cover too, dependant upon mileage and components to cover. Think i ended up getting the most expensive one at like £330 ish at the time.

Paid for itself literally 4 months down the line when 5th gear started disintegrating. Brand new gearbox, installed all free, had a new clutch put in too as the vibrations caused by the gearbox had rapidly worn down the clutch (the bite point got so high i was surprised it wasn't slipping, thankfully it lasted long enough till i got it in for repair, damn thing sounded like a helicopter at full tilt in the passenger footwell area 😂)