Replacement discs and pads - recommendations

Hi all

I hope you're all OK given the current situation.

I'm looking for replacement discs and pads as mine are suffering the horrendous wear and rusting as already seen by others.

Mine is a 2016 Diesel Sportline 150PS, so 312mm and 300mm.

I know Brembo are good but a bit pricey. I've also read ATE do ceramic pads, but not sure they're worth the price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Avoid anything from Eurocarparts?

I might have just been unlucky but a set of both Mintex and Brembo discs and pads from ECP didn't last long at all. The Brembo ones were a good chunk more expensive too.

I have a suspicion that due to the power ECP has over its suppliers that they dictate the price, which forces the manufacturers to compromise on quality.

I know OEM discs get a lot of grief on here, but I still think they're better than most of what you can buy through ECP.

The rusting non-friction surfaces aren't always an indicator of the quality of the disc, more often it's down to the choice of cleaning products / locations used by the driver i.e. overly acidic wheel cleaners and hand car washes and their use of cheap acidic TFR.

Thanks for the input folks.

I looked at the exact same set up with Zimmermans and other OEMs. But they were coming in more expensive than the Brembo set up through ECP's 50% deal; so I've opted for them.

I guess time will tell as to how well they hold up!

Cheers

I had both front and rear discs changed on my 2016 superb, front discs after approx 6 months and rears at 3yrs, both replaced with oem parts and didn't suffer the same issue as the factory fitted ones. 

• Thanks 1

I changed the front and rear pads and rotors about 6mths ago...

Same Brake Setup as your Superb (all parts are confirmed for a MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition).

ATE SL.6 Dot 4 ISO Class 6 Brake Fluid ATE brake fluids

ATE Ceramic Brake Pads ATE Ceramic brake pads
(front) Article No. 13.0470-2785.2 / 25684, 25683
(rear) Article No. 13.0470-7294.2 / 25011, 25009

ATE Coated (High Carbon) Vented Rotors (312mm) Original ATE brake discs
(front) Article No. 24.0125-0158.1 / 425158

ATE Coated Solid Rotors (300mm)
(rear) Article No. 24.0112-0210.1 / 412210

For your info, here are the original part numbers also.

Original Volkswagen Part Numbers;
- (front) 312mm Rotor - 5Q0698151F
- (rear) 300mm Rotor - 3Q0615601A
- (front) Brake Pad - 5Q0698151F
- (rear) Brake Pad - 3Q0698451C

Say goodbye to brake dust!!!

Edited by ope126
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ope126 said:

I changed the front and rear pads and rotors about 6mths ago...

Say goodbye to brake dust!!!

Which probably means faster wearing rotors :)

14 minutes ago, 2wheelsgood said:

top quality

It's very hit and miss with EBC; they seem to go through spells of producing pads which aren't up to their usual standard/reputation. 

On 13/04/2020 at 19:32, matther01 said:

Thanks for the input folks.

I looked at the exact same set up with Zimmermans and other OEMs. But they were coming in more expensive than the Brembo set up through ECP's 50% deal; so I've opted for them.

I guess time will tell as to how well they hold up!

Cheers

I've just taken delivery of a set of Brembo rear discs, purchased through Autodoc, along with some Jurid rear pads.  The reason I opted for the Brembo's over the other OE manufacturers is that the vented rim and bell housing are coated in a dark grey finish, which apparently resists the dreaded disc corrosion.  Despite Pagid stating their discs have some 'anti corrosion' treatment they are terrible at resisting rust.  The ones on my 280 started turning after the first time I washed the car and I don't use acidic products. 

23 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

It's very hit and miss with EBC; they seem to go through spells of producing pads which aren't up to their usual standard/reputation. 

I've just taken delivery of a set of Brembo rear discs, purchased through Autodoc, along with some Jurid rear pads.  The reason I opted for the Brembo's over the other OE manufacturers is that the vented rim and bell housing are coated in a dark grey finish, which apparently resists the dreaded disc corrosion.  Despite Pagid stating their discs have some 'anti corrosion' treatment they are terrible at resisting rust.  The ones on my 280 started turning after the first time I washed the car and I don't use acidic products. 

Interesting 'ref  EBC, used for yrs on cars and bikes with zero quality issues 🤔

7 minutes ago, 2wheelsgood said:

Interesting 'ref  EBC, used for yrs on cars and bikes with zero quality issues 🤔

I always thought they were well regarded myself until I started looking at brake options and discovered for every person you find with something good to say about Red/Yellow stuff pads, there's someone else quick to complain about wear, noise, de-lamination, etc.  

Edited by penguin17