Little lockdown mods?

Thinking of doing a couple of bits to the car whilst I'm furloughed, so I've come here looking for inspiration, 2017 pre-facelift 1.4tsi SE Sport DSG Estate. 

So far I've bought some new carpet mats, a boot liner/protector as we've got an American Bulldog, a fresh pollen filter, a key ring, lighter socket cover, all the essentials, lol! 😆 

I've done a couple of software mods with Carista :-

Bleep on lock/unlock

Needle sweep on startup 

High beam assist

Front and rear teardrop wipe

Refuel quantity on Maxidot 

Couple of other little bits

I want to tint the windows or fit window shades, but everywhere's closed at the minute, so that will have to wait...

Any inexpensive mods worth looking into? Suggestions on a postcard please! 😁

PS, a nice new air freshener would be a good start if anyone can recommend one please. 👍 

4 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Rear DRL's and the ability to turn all DRL's off in the Infotainment?

Why would you want to be able to turn the DRL's off? Forgot about the rears too, had that enabled on my Leon. 

8 minutes ago, broona said:

Why would you want to be able to turn the DRL's off? Forgot about the rears too, had that enabled on my Leon. 

I once went to a drive in movie a few years ago. You tuned the radio in to get the audio. Anyway, lights were to be turned off and i was able to. 

• Thanks 1

Might I suggest gas bonnet struts mod if you can get parts. I don't know what it is but it's satisfying when it starts lifting up on its own after the initial lift to do engine checks..screen wash etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

I once went to a drive in movie a few years ago. You tuned the radio in to get the audio. Anyway, lights were to be turned off and i was able to. 

Fair play, never even thought of anything like that, suppose having the option can't do any harm. 

5 minutes ago, paulski said:

Might I suggest gas bonnet struts mod if you can get parts. I don't know what it is but it's satisfying when it starts lifting up on its own after the initial lift to do engine checks..screen wash etc. 

Thank you, is it relatively straight forward? And is it 1 strut or 2? I'll have a look on ebay and see if anyone's still active. 

You add two struts and 4 ball joints. I got my parts from Sgs engineering for the ball joints ~£10 and Opie oils the gas struts ~ £30 There is a thread on here on the mod if you search. Yes you simply undo a bolt on the wing and a bolt on the under bonnet hinge (think you need spline tool for that one from memory not torx bit) and replace them with the threaded ball joints and click in the strut. 

Led boot lights are a must from SuperSkoda if they are operating. They are fantastic. 

Edited by paulski
Edit
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Tolpol62 said:

I fitted heko deflectors.

IMG_20200413_183649.jpg

I had them on my last 2 Octavias, been tempted to fit them to this one too, thanks, looking good. 👍 

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2020 at 21:17, broona said:

Thank you, is it relatively straight forward? And is it 1 strut or 2? I'll have a look on ebay and see if anyone's still active. 

You can get them from Superskoda too. Not sure how the price compares but they have an installation video online so you can at least see how you fit them.

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-hood-power-damper-set-KI-R

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NZ100 said:

Got mine from Opie Oils after a recommendation from another member. 

There's a post on this site about struts. 

Have you got a link to the parts you ordered please? 

Hi B, I'm not clever enough to send links.

Go on search, "Retrofit Bonnet Strut" 2nd page, halfway down. Struts from Opie, nuts and bolts , ebay.

• Thanks 1

I've ordered the following, and I've got loads of little washers in my toolbox, looking forward to them arriving, 10% off ebay code was nice too :-

2x Febi Bilstein 27709 struts.

2x M8 ball joints with a 10mm ball head.

2x M6 ball joints with a 10mm ball head.

Next step is to check my 80% furlough finances and look into some wind deflectors and sun shades, think I'd rather have removable shades than permanent tint. 👍

Edited by broona

2 hours ago, broona said:

I've ordered the following, and I've got loads of little washers in my toolbox, looking forward to them arriving, 10% off ebay code was nice too :-

2x Febi Bilstein 27709 struts.

2x M8 ball joints with a 10mm ball head.

2x M6 ball joints with a 10mm ball head.

Next step is to check my 80% furlough finances and look into some wind deflectors and sun shades, think I'd rather have removable shades than permanent tint. 👍

Take a look at car shades. Pity as you would have just missed 15% off sale.

If you can hold out, follow them on twitter or Instagram as they often do sales 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DEZMONDE said:

Take a look at car shades. Pity as you would have just missed 15% off sale.

If you can hold out, follow them on twitter or Instagram as they often do sales 

In between me messaging them to make sure they were still operating during the pandemic and receiving a reply, the sale ended, lol! 

I'm in no hurry, I'll follow them now, thanks for the tip. 

6 minutes ago, broona said:

In between me messaging them to make sure they were still operating during the pandemic and receiving a reply, the sale ended, lol! 

I'm in no hurry, I'll follow them now, thanks for the tip. 

Hey no worries that's what this group is for.