Resetting Inspection warning on 66 plate (Y17) Fabia

I got a mechanic friend to service my Fabia recently (using Skoda parts), and he reset the notification warning regarding how many miles was left until the service was due. However it then came up saying the inspection was due in X days and began counting down. As we are in lockdown I can't take the car to him to reset it, and as the countdown has reached 0 it now says inspection due every time I start or stop the car. Is there a way I can reset it, or does the car need plugged into a diagnostic unit to reset?

Hope you all can help 😊

18 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

Just done this morning on 16 plate MK3, try this first, 

This is what my mechanic did to reset the mileage countdown but it didn't stop the day countdown. I tried it again but it won't clear the warning 😧

18 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@AndyMacD

Before trying to reset,

?

What was / is the Service Indicator set at now.  Was / Is it on Variable Servicing and counting down from 24 months, 

or on Fixed after being set last time and 9,400 miles / 372 days?

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

I think it's on fixed servicing as it was serviced by Skoda 9,500 miles ago. I'm not sure how to definitively check and how to change it on the car. 

• Like 1

dumb question perhaps but does it matter whether you press the SET side or the 0.0 side? My 16 plate (april) was serviced a year ago and I've only done 2000 miles; because of that and the 6 month MOT extension it seems pointless having it serviced for another 6 months.

IMO only pointless if you are doing some of your own inspection and maintenance.

Look at the inside wall of the tyres, inspect the brakes, steering, suspension components and levels, wipers and the car generally.

A winter has passed even though a mild one, and now warmer weather so if nobody else is checking then you need to.

Thanks Roottoot.....should have said that i do keep an eye on the car & it's only done 8000 miles in the four years that i've had it from new. When not on the road it's in the garage not on the drive. 

Just curious about this technique for re-setting service timer.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, however it still doesn't reset the service interval, it just resets the mileage to zero. I still cannot get the inspection now warning to disappear 😣 

Thanks for all you're help, I have just managed to do it.  What I had to do was the following:

1. With ignition off and all doors closed, press and hold the trip reset button.

2. Turn the ignition on and keep pressing the trip reset button until the Oil reset message appeared.

3. Let go of the trip reset button and don't press anything else for a couple of seconds (I had always pressed the button again to reset this, as I was expecting the Inpection warning to appear afterwards but it doesn't as it only resets the mileage (not the inspection warning).

4. After those few seconds of releasing the trip reset button, the display will change to say reset Inspection warning, only then press the trip reset button & bingo it's done 😊.

Thanks for everyone who replied and helped 👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremy_Peeters said:

Bit of stupid question here but what do people mean when they talk about 66 plate and 16 plate and so on? I don’t know what it all means 

It's the age identifier in the current number/registration plates for UK cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom#Current_system

5 minutes ago, Jeremy_Peeters said:

Bit of stupid question here but what do people mean when they talk about 66 plate and 16 plate and so on? I don’t know what it all means 

16 plate is cars registered between March and August 2016 and 66 plates are registered between September 2016 and February 2017.

1 minute ago, langers2k said:

It's the age identifier in the current number/registration plates for UK cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom#Current_system

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

16 plate is cars registered between March and August 2016 and 66 plates are registered between September 2016 and February 2017.

Ohhhhhhhh it’s about uk number plates, I get it now. Thought it had something to do with the car’s onboard computer and coding 😅

Just now, Jeremy_Peeters said:

Ohhhhhhhh it’s about uk number plates, I get it now. Thought it had something to do with the car’s onboard computer and coding 😅

For that, you need to look at model years ;)

The 10th digit of your VIN denotes the MY (model year) and each is likely to have slightly different hardware/software so coding may be specific to a set of MYs ;)

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin

16 minutes ago, langers2k said:

For that, you need to look at model years ;)

The 10th digit of your VIN denotes the MY (model year) and each is likely to have slightly different hardware/software so coding may be specific to a set of MYs ;)

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin

Thanks, really clears up a lot of confusion I’ve had 😁

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick thank you to all the contributors who came forward with the knowhow. Now happy with my car as it doesn't nag me anymore.

'course the whole dam thing is VAG going over the top again. I don't do a lot of miles (around 4000 pa) and last year asked a very knowlegeable mechanic whom I have know for years - " Is it essential to have a "service" every year?" Of course not he replied, you don't do enough miles to warrant that. So this time I did not have him do anything until 2 years had passed. He arrived and did the oil change and general inspection for me and I asked about the brake fluid. "Everything's OK and I will change the brake fluid if you want but I've checked it and it's OK so why waste your money?" he replied. His bill - £78 so yah boo sucks to main dealer charges.

• Haha 1

@Eccles   But then he knows you, knows where you live and drive and knows if you check the car yourself regularly or not and might go 2 years without the car getting looked at.  Steering, Brakes, Suspension, Tyres, Wipers, washer, horn etc.

?

Do you check under the car and tyre walls other than the ones on the outer side ones more often than every couple of years?

SERVICING & MAINTENANCE / PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE IS MORE THAN JUST GETTING AN OIL & FILTER SERVICE, OR SHOULD BE.

So his advice to you might not apply to everyone, or maybe he says the same to everyone, only he knows.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

It is essential and the law in the UK to have a MOT every year thankfully after 3 years. (other than this year),  so at least someone with mechanical knowledge is looking over the car.

As to the Brake Fluid and the recommended first change at 3 years then each 2 years,  good that he has a tester / test kit and checked the H20 content.

That is what should be getting done.

As to other Service Places offering that or just to do a Brake Fluid change for money, then as long as you know why that might be you are sorted.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Well yes I know you are right Rooty. There are an awful lot of folk out there who are utterly clueless about how to look after a car, my daughter being one of them despite my attempts to educate. However, it still leaves me cold that folk should invest several thousand quid in something and then simply not bother to take good care of it.