Unusual noise

Hi All, 

'64 plate, ~25k miles, 1.2 TSi SE (Roomster), tank half full.

Started this morning as usual, after 10secs or so a noticeably loud, dull clicking of about sec in period could be heard, the clicking lasted for 10/12 clicks  then disappeared. No lights on dash. I drove off and then stopped about 50m later (to speak to neighbour) no clicking when I stopped with engine running, then clicking re-appeared again for about 10/12 clicks and off again. as far as I can tell the noise seems to come from under the floor on the passenger's side. At first I thought 'relay' but the noise is too dull, it's almost a light thump. There is no sign of fuel on the underside  nor is there any smell either under or in the car, the car drives and revs fine (up to 60mph), no apparent sign of starvation. Has anyone a suggestion as to why the clicking ? Thanks.

Mike

Edited by ktm690rr
additional info

Hi Guys, thanks for your responses. I did an on-line search for fuel pump issues and I am fairly sure it's not  the pump; it primes instantly when the ignition is switched on and then no further sound. This morning I got right round into the passenger's footwell to listen, the noise seems to be under the dash, but definitely on the nearside. Another development, when the 'ticking' is heard I switched on the aircon and immediately the noise became much more intrusive, also when the noise is not present I can induce it by switching on the aircon. It goes away when I switch the a/c off. So I am leaning towards a relay, but the handbook does not mention relays, there's got to be some somewhere ! Can you suggest some diy action, and first I need to be able to find my way into the area of the noise, how do I go about that ?

Stay Safe

Mike 

Lift away the fibreboard cover in the footwell and slide the plastic slides in opposite directions to remove the pollen filter. That exposes the ducting and you will be nearer to the gubbins. Switch on the aircon and hear for the suspect noise.

• Like 1

Could the noise be emanating through the bulkhead from the engine bay? There are a selection of relays in the secondary fuse box close to the battery.

Try inducing the noise with the bonnet open and the lid off the fuse box...

image.png.75d40b5facfa285a08dd41d33e8015c6.png

Edited by silver1011

On 25/04/2020 at 18:22, edbostan said:

Lift away the fibreboard cover in the footwell and slide the plastic slides in opposite directions to remove the pollen filter. That exposes the ducting and you will be nearer to the gubbins. Switch on the aircon and hear for the suspect noise.

Thanks for that. The sound is definitely coming from above the pollen filter and towards the bulkhead. I got the fibre board off but didn't take it any further as it seems to need a contortionist to get up and under and remove the filter . Car runs fine, I just don't know what might happen if I let the 'ticking' go on.

Thanks for you help.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the input, I have an answer.

Apparently the noise is being caused by a flap in the airsystem/ aircon. It will be fully investigated when our garages up here return to 'normal'

Mike