Hidden USB-C port in rear-view mirror

MrMorm

I read a comment from someone saying there is a hidden usb-c port in the rear view mirror housing so you can connect a dashcam.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? I dare not try to dissasemble mine to check unless its true and I get an idea how to do it. I cant find info online about it.

It would be nice not to run a cable from the other usb ports.

I've asked the poster about it and will await reply too

I took a glance at the service manual for interior assembly/disassembly. No mention of USB port in the rear view housing.  No mention of this option in manuals, price lists etc. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone know the part number for the USB C socket alone? the one located in the mirror housing? I have purchased car from stock unfortunately lacking this feature. I have only tiny blanking plate in the place of the socket.

I had one put in by a VAG approved company, I supplied my existing Nextbase camera and wiring from my old Fabia they charged me about £100 including VAT. They did an excellent neat job wired it into the fuse box it turns on and off with the ignition.

A bit cheaper than the factory fitted jobbie.  I would have installed it myself as I did it on my previous 2 Fabia estates but that lump that holds the rear view mirror was a bit too tricky to wire around. 

• 3 months later...