Brake lights not working but tail light ok

So both rear brake lights don't work, put new bulbs in and have checked fuse 2, oddly the tail light above rear windscreen is OK, and when I press the brake pedal the bulb light on the dash board bongs and illuminates, my electric windows are playing up too so don't know if it's related, any ideas 

1 hour ago, aj_erst said:

So both rear brake lights don't work, put new bulbs in and have checked fuse 2, oddly the tail light above rear windscreen is OK, and when I press the brake pedal the bulb light on the dash board bongs and illuminates, my electric windows are playing up too so don't know if it's related, any ideas 

Put a new brake switch on just to be sure, I've got the diesel engine light flashing now too

No brake lights on the two lower lights but third high level light working has been found in the past to be caused by corrosion of the connectors at the earth point in the boot on the near side.

Usually caused by people using a weak rear screen wash solution in the winter. When it freezes, the washer pipe in the same area pops off or splits so allowing the solution to corrode the earth connection point.

The bulb failure indicator on the dash is correctly pointing out that the two bulbs are not lit; we just normally assume it is a failed bulb but in this case it is not.

1 hour ago, aj_erst said:

Put a new brake switch on just to be sure, I've got the diesel engine light flashing now too

Did you have the brake pedal fully up while you installed it, or did you have the brake pedal slightly pressed?

12 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Did you have the brake pedal fully up while you installed it, or did you have the brake pedal slightly pressed?

13 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

Yea was fully up when installed 

38 minutes ago, pikpilot said:

No brake lights on the two lower lights but third high level light working has been found in the past to be caused by corrosion of the connectors at the earth point in the boot on the near side.

Usually caused by people using a weak rear screen wash solution in the winter. When it freezes, the washer pipe in the same area pops off or splits so allowing the solution to corrode the earth connection point.

The bulb failure indicator on the dash is correctly pointing out that the two bulbs are not lit; we just normally assume it is a failed bulb but in this case it is not.

Eart point in the boot, do you mean on the bulb connector. Thanks

2 minutes ago, aj_erst said:

Thought they were double filiment 

No, only the tail/rear fog are twin filament.

3 minutes ago, TMB said:

kjlhhohl.png

You sir are a geniouse! They have given me the wrong bulbs! Thanks for your help, it's just turned what was a really bad week around for me 👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 2