Camera Backpack reccomendations

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a camera backpack that will happily fit a DSLR and 3/4 Lenses? Maximum budget is about £100.

I use it when going hiking and to rallies, so definitely after a backpack as opposed to a messenger bag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Huroo

I'm a big fan of Lowepro bags, although I've got a really nice Manfrotto one too. I've tried 'sideloading' bags, fast access bags etc etc, but honestly, I don't find an any real advantage, as if you are sliding a bag around your shoulders with a fast load type, you probably only have one strap and so it's not so comfy for long days and if we are being truthful, a zip is not too hard a thing to master in general. 

My go-to bag is a 15 year old Lowepro Micro Trekker 200. It's about the size of a small rucksack, something that the kids might take to school, except it's built like a tank, a very light tank obviously :) After 15 years it's only starting to show signs of serious wear as one of the shoulder straps is coming away from the main body. I just can't bear to part with it as it's a perfect bag for 90% of times I take my camera out.

The nearest model I can see today is the 'Lowepro Tahoe BP150'   Which Calumet are selling for around £54. You can fit a DSLR with a 70-200mm on it (probably also with a 1.4tc fitted too) plus another 3 standard sized lenses, eg 17-55mm or 27-70mm, a wide angle and maybe a shorter macro. I have just read a description that it says up to 50mm for additional lenses, but I found that due to the squishy nature of my small similar bag, I could get a larger lens than that. You can lie a second lens down and fit the two shorter ones upright and that's with the DSLR and longer lens still fitted to it. I find it's easiest to pack the bag with the long lens fitted to the camera as it seems to maximise packing. Plus there is room for a cleaning kit, filters and other bits and bobs. Here are a couple of pictures of the Tahoe. Obviously a full sized DSLR would take up a little more room, but you get the idea and the internal separating 'walls' are just fitted with velcro, so you can modify them to any shape you want for your specific needs :) This is also true of most decent photo bags too btw. 

images.jpg

new_bag03.jpg

I also have a Lowepro 350 which is a beast and something more akin to a hikers backpack :D it's big and very heavily built. You will fit a DSLR and 4 lenses with room for your usual extras and a flash. It only really gets used when I'm going somewhere with the car and it tends to stay in the car :D  it looks more or less like this

IMG_3307ftsq.jpg

Lowepro-Pro-Runner-BP-350-AW-II-Backpack_03.jpg

Camera_BackPack_Lowepro_PRO_Trekker_BP_350_AW_II_LP37268-PWW_empty_stuffed.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 2

Ha ha I found a video of my old camera bag. You can still find them second-hand for peanuts, but it gives you an idea of how much gear you can stuff into a small bag...sorry, "how much expensive equipment can be delicately placed into the internalised compartments". 

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:35, Lady Elanore said:

Huroo

I'm a big fan of Lowepro bags, although I've got a really nice Manfrotto one too. I've tried 'sideloading' bags, fast access bags etc etc, but honestly, I don't find an any real advantage, as if you are sliding a bag around your shoulders with a fast load type, you probably only have one strap and so it's not so comfy for long days and if we are being truthful, a zip is not too hard a thing to master in general. 

My go-to bag is a 15 year old Lowepro Micro Trekker 200. It's about the size of a small rucksack, something that the kids might take to school, except it's built like a tank, a very light tank obviously :) After 15 years it's only starting to show signs of serious wear as one of the shoulder straps is coming away from the main body. I just can't bear to part with it as it's a perfect bag for 90% of times I take my camera out.

The nearest model I can see today is the 'Lowepro Tahoe BP150'   Which Calumet are selling for around £54. You can fit a DSLR with a 70-200mm on it (probably also with a 1.4tc fitted too) plus another 3 standard sized lenses, eg 17-55mm or 27-70mm, a wide angle and maybe a shorter macro. I have just read a description that it says up to 50mm for additional lenses, but I found that due to the squishy nature of my small similar bag, I could get a larger lens than that. You can lie a second lens down and fit the two shorter ones upright and that's with the DSLR and longer lens still fitted to it. I find it's easiest to pack the bag with the long lens fitted to the camera as it seems to maximise packing. Plus there is room for a cleaning kit, filters and other bits and bobs. Here are a couple of pictures of the Tahoe. Obviously a full sized DSLR would take up a little more room, but you get the idea and the internal separating 'walls' are just fitted with velcro, so you can modify them to any shape you want for your specific needs :) This is also true of most decent photo bags too btw. 

Hi! Thanks so much for such a detailed description/advice! I've read a few reviews of Lowerpro bags in Amateur Photographer Magazine but that one on Wex looks like a very good buy for what I need.

I usually only take 3 lenses with me (18 - 55mm, 40 - 200mm and fixed prime) so the BP150 would be more than adequate plus leaves extra room for other bits and bobs. Is that bag waterproof though? The specs on WEX list it as "No" but the description says it is, so a bit confused by that

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 16:35, Lady Elanore said:

I also have a Lowepro 350 which is a beast and something more akin to a hikers backpack :D it's big and very heavily built. You will fit a DSLR and 4 lenses with room for your usual extras and a flash. It only really gets used when I'm going somewhere with the car and it tends to stay in the car :D  it looks more or less like this

That is enormous! I don't even have enough kit to fill it!

Thanks again so such helpful advice!

• Thanks 1

Some Lowepro (and other decent makes) have a waterproof cover that pulls over the top of the rucksack. My older version is not rated as waterproof, but I've had it out in light rain and not suffered from any problems. I see that the Tahoe is rated as weatherproof. If you want waterproof I see WEX are doing the slightly larger Flipside 200 which has the built in waterproof cover that pulls out and covers the whole back for maximum protect. There is a video of it in action on the Lowepro website 

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/lowepro-flipside-200-aw-ii-pixel-camo-1637442/

• Like 1