Broken Clutch Bores Hole Into Gearbox

AdventureYeti

I just wondered how "common" this problem is - unfortunately this caused the car to break down and we were towed to our preferred garage (not a main dealership), they quoted over £6k for a new reconditioned gearbox and clutch, we took it to another garage who quoted £2k for a reconditioned gearbox and new clutch. I phoned the dealership who quoted over £4k for a reconditioned gearbox. I gave the third party garage the go-ahead to repair as by this point the car was not drivable (getting stuck in or out of gear).

Basically, the clutch ring broke, and over time wore a hole into the gearbox, which then basically leaked all it's oil.

I tried to call Skoda UK but they told me they need me to go to the dealership, I went to the dealership who told me to call Skoda UK 😣 - is there an email I can follow this up with? As it does appear to be a fault at manufacture of the car if the replacement part has been "improved". 

1283398544_2019-12-1314_15.57-min.thumb.jpg.d13a13c369e2f8c0ad8c15f73bbed686.jpg

broken clutch ring - the garage thankfully told me the new Sachs part does not have this "necessary" ring on it.

249852269_2019-12-1314_16.03-min.thumb.jpg.84598f05100cce3eb5ac8bb7439f67b2.jpg

You can see where the metal has been wearing away at the softer metal of the gearbox (look top right of the circle for the hole).

128351083_2019-12-1314_16.07-min.thumb.jpg.5b93bc3b58be6f1d9b8a9ca26c860671.jpg

Close up top right.

315015215_2019-12-1314_15.32-min.thumb.jpg.06a0a7d30616c901ad3e62fa213cec9d.jpg

Artistic shot of the damaged parts at that SKODA badge.

Found this on Honest John - which is descriptive of the issue above

26-7-2017: Report of known issue (TPI 2039427/5) of snapped clutch retaining ring, worn bell housing and associated oil leaks on 2012 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 bought at one year old from the approved Skoda dealer. It also has suffered a defective coms ring in the steering wheel and extensive rusting around the arches and door corners. Supplying dealer informed owner that Skoda will not offer any goodwill due to the VW group's large outlay for the emissions scandal forcing them "to conserve monies where possible."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/yeti-2009/good/

2 minutes ago, AdventureYeti said:

26-7-2017: Report of known issue (TPI 2039427/5) of snapped clutch retaining ring, worn bell housing and associated oil leaks on 2012 Skoda Yeti Elegance 4x4 bought at one year old from the approved Skoda dealer. It also has suffered a defective coms ring in the steering wheel and extensive rusting around the arches and door corners. Supplying dealer informed owner that Skoda will not offer any goodwill due to the VW group's large outlay for the emissions scandal forcing them "to conserve monies where possible."

This could easily be talking about my 2013 Skoda yeti Adventure 4x4! As I too have had to replace the steering wheel squib due to airbag communication failure, and as my other posts show, I have/had rust on the door corners due to the seals and blisters.

Yep, exactly the same issue with mine a few years back, about a year out of warranty IIRC.  Clutch ring disintegrated, and a hole punched in the gearbox casing (causing oil leak onto hot bits).  The broken bits also bored throught he clutch slave cylinder.   I managed to get the gearbox casing welded up, and a new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder and a lot of work.  It was a big bill.

Skoda were ultimately useless.  They refused to do anything at all because I had the car recovered to a local garage, and not the nearest dealer (30 miles away).  The fault was as clear a case of metal fatigue as I have seen outside of textbooks, and despite this, Skoda still did the slopey-shoulder thing.  Apparently the correct course of action for me should have been to have the car recovered to the dealer (at my cost) who would diagnose (again at my cost), and repair (at my cost) and only then would Skoda UK "consider" whether there was a case for a good will payment.   The estimated bill from the dealer would have been >£6k.   Actual cost to me at local indy garage was in the region of £1k.

I posted about it on here somewhere....

Andy

• Groan 1

Happened to me too, thankfully in warranty but the rectification work done by the Skoda dealer left the car in a lethally dangerous condition.  Luckily I caught it before it killed anybody.

On 09/06/2020 at 19:39, weasley said:

Happened to me too, thankfully in warranty but the rectification work done by the Skoda dealer left the car in a lethally dangerous condition.  Luckily I caught it before it killed anybody.

Do tell more. 

4 hours ago, rover220 said:

Do tell more. 

OK.  First of all there's the thread where the gearbox damage was identified and rectified: 

Then there is the thread where I noted a judder from the car and subsequently discovered that they hadn't secured the propshaft to the gearbox properly.

• Sad 1