Removing grab handles

Hi there - new member.  I have tried searching the forum to see if I could find any existing information, but haven't had any joy.  

We have a Superb MkII wagon, with a panoramic sun roof.  Husband has been trying to locate a leak, and is looking to remove the front grab handles, so he can remove the roof lining to assist him in this quest.  Unfortunately, he can't work out how to remove the little clip, and I'm hoping someone can explain how to do it, and the best tool to do it.

When he was trying to remove it, he felt the amount of force he was applying was excess to what should be required, and he didn't want to break the clip.

I did see someone discussing these very clips in one thread about removing the sun roof, but not the detail required about removing them.

Advice gratefully received.

superb grab handle 2.jpg

Superb grap handle 1.jpg

I once removed one of these thinking it would help to thread some wires for my reverse camera. From what I can remember you have to remove the L shaped pieces of plastic that are covering (I think) a screw, or possibly they just push in, I'm not sure. This screws into a metal clip that is sprung into a square hole in the bodywork. The handle should then come off. Be careful though that you don't lose the clip into the bodywork. I did and can't find it so my grab handle is only attached on one side and is loose until I can source another clip, although I don't think I'll bother, I lost it about 2 years ago now. If needed I'll find a minute to get a picture.

Ignore all of the above about screws. Here are some pictures. I think you will need to find something to hook the top of the L shaped part to pull it out of the metal clip, it is a tight fit. As you can maybe see I snapped mine getting it out. The same applies though about possibly losing the metal clip inside the bodywork, it should be fitted where the oblong hole is in the metalwork. Hope this all makes sense.

20200620_105528.jpg

20200620_105633.jpg

Edited by ashfan

So, open the handle and slide / prise the covers away from the fitting (directly outwards, away from the bodywork).

Good photo's @ashfan

Edited by Tilt

I bent an old large flat blade screwdriver about 1/2 inch from top at 90 degrees 

Then used it between the clip and handle base and wiggled it side to side to ease the clips out

They are tight

5 hours ago, Tilt said:

So, open the handle and slide / prise the covers away from the fitting (directly outwards, away from the bodywork).

Good photo's @ashfan

Yes, but it's not just a cover. The inside part of the cover with the slots in, as per the photo of the cover on my dash, pushes into the clip that is missing from the rectangular hole in the metal which then makes the handle a tight fit

Ahh.  Thank you to all for your replies and for the very helpful photos.  I was thinking the combined plug/cover thingy (don't know what to call it) hinged to come away, but no- it comes out straight out like a push button of sorts (a very tight one apparently).  I am pleased I stopped and backed out of my attempt as I would have broken it the way I was trying to lever and hinge it out of position.  So I will try again encouraging the part to come out straight.  Now my next question is if I do get the plug/cover to come gently out do I also dislodge and lose the associated metal clip that apparently likes to do a disappearing act into the body?  That could result in another rattle to match the one that seems to be directly behind my speedometer.  Is there any way to avoid the metal clip ejecting and getting lost inside the square hole while removing the plastic plug/cover?   Oh- I did think of modifying a screwdriver to assist with removing the plug/cover and actually purchased a cheap $2 flat blade screw driver for the task.  But when I tried to bend the shaft it was apparently hardened as it readily snapped.  So I got more quality in my cheap screwdriver than I wanted and bargained for.  I did find an offset screwdriver at a local tool shop, but the offset went 90 degrees  the the wrong way with respect to the flat of the screwdriver so that option was a non-option for me.  I can't help but feel the Skoda grab handle engineers had a bit of a chuckle when they designed its retention system...

Sorry but I honestly can't remember how I lost the clip, I just know it disappeared into the box section of the roof. Like you I was thinking it was some sort of cover or hinge and in my efforts to get it off I snapped the top half off, it came out but the metal clip, in the process, vanished into the hole now left, never to be seen again despite my efforts to fish it out so all I can say is be careful. 

Edited by ashfan

Thank you to to everyone for your experience and advice.  Armed with that I have gone slowly and am pleased to report that I have successfully removed my drivers side (right hand front) grab handle and I managed to do that without breaking the cover/plugs or the spring steel clips inside.  I've enclosed photos to illustrate my description.  I finally managed to get a cheap flat-blade screwdriver that did not have a hardened shaft and I bent the shaft to 90 degrees without snapping the screwdriver.  I then used this bent screwdriver along with an unbent screwdriver and prised the cover/plug out slowly.  It is really tight and you have to wiggle the plug/cover by alternately wiggling the two screwdrivers.  I think if you just tried to use the bent screwdriver on its own the plug/cove will snap.  Later in the photo sequence you can see why the cover/plug is so tight- there is a dip in the plastic cover/plug that communicates with a bump in the middle of the metal clip on each side of the clip and cover/plug.  If you work the cover/plug out slowly the metal clip will not be lost.  But beware when you probe in with the bent screwdriver as it is possible to pick up the lip of the metal clip with the screwdriver clip and dislodge it as I try to show in one of the photos as everything is hidden from view.  If the tip of the bent screwdriver goes in at right angles into the cover/plug recess, then you should be OK.  I hope the various photos will remove mystery surrounding what the various parts look like. 

H00.jpg

H01.jpg

H02.jpg

H03.jpg

H04.jpg

H05.jpg

H06.jpg

H07.jpg

H08.jpg

H09.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done. That clip looks a lot more robust than I remember it. How I managed to lose that in the bodywork I will never know. You would think I was belting it with a lump hammer in my frustration. 😉😄

• Haha 1

...Perhaps you actually dropped it and its been sitting under the seat ever since!

Funny way to clip in, though. Looks like they must use a kind of plier, clamp type of tool, perhaps made specifically for this type of clip. If so, it may well be quicker for a techie to remove then a common or garden, screwed on type, where you need to unscrew a pair of screws.

Edited by mrgf

Just now, mrgf said:

...Perhaps you actually dropped it and its been sitting under the seat ever since!

Hmmm, you've got me thinking now, I'll run out and check but I'm sure I heard it rattling somewhere deep inside the box section of the roof above the window

...Could try one of those flexible, extendable tools with a little magnet on the end. They look like an old fashioned arial. Just the small, round magnet though as some have a box-y square-isn shaped thing that will most likely snag. Shove it in and all around the hole. The metal will most likely be magnetic. (Try it first on one that is still there).

Just found an actual tool for this... You can find them on eBay etc.

Laser Tools 7144 Roof Grab Handle Release Tool - VAG

There are also other brand versions available for about a tenner.

Edited by mrgf

4 hours ago, ashfan said:

Hmmm, you've got me thinking now, I'll run out and check but I'm sure I heard it rattling somewhere deep inside the box section of the roof above the window

Nope, no sign of it anywhere. Yes I've got something like that (the extendable magnetic tool thingy) and I've been poking it around as best I can but no luck

Edited by ashfan

• 3 years later...