1.2 TSI Monte Carlo

Hi 

Hope this is right section as am more concerned about this model from 2017. I Currently have a 2016 Suzuki Swift Sport which has been good fun and practical for last 3 years without any issues at all.

Have been thinking about a wee change and seen a White Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI at local dealers, I know slightly down on top end power and different engine but do like look of this. 

Is there anything to look for as see Skoda is also fairly reliable brand, never had a Skoda but had a load of other cars over years from performance BMW and Alfa down to some FIats earlier on. Went down way after Volvo C30 T5 which drank fuel like a lizard flat out drinking. Since that had Mini Cooper and Abarth 595 before my Swift as needed 5 door practicality as take my dad to hospital as now part time carer for him. Like a car with a wee bit of poke and fun rather than flat out performance these days as have a motorbike too which gives me fun.

Love my MC with 7-speed DSG. It really comes alive when you flick it into sports mode. I'm not permitted to use it when the wife is in the car! 

• Like 1

Hi again 

Sorry for late replies to posted advice, am a key worker and shifts are all over place just now. Sadly missed car as was sold just dealership system hadn't updated it seems. Have been offered a newer Monte Carlo the model I want however with 1.0 3 cylinder engine. Might be showing a bit of age and not detracting from three cylinder engines as had triples in my bikes however like my cars with 4 cylinders or more.

Expect will have people tell me  3 cylinders are just as good but always remember as a lad working on old BMW with proper cast engine then in college working on new Mercedes aluminium block, night and day in terms of reliability and quality of build. That being said know F3 uses Ford  3 cylinders  and seem proven. 

Still seeking a 1.2 just now ; and again age thing willing to take my time as there will be a right one out there.

Thanks nbramwel, maybe shouldn't rule this out and look at how advances have maybe made things better we have had so many automotive advances and just learn to accept these now as normal. 

I'm assuming the 1.0 has a good bit of grunt in it? If Ford can get 140bhp from their 3 pot don't see why anyone can't too with some work, but those days are behind me just need a solid reliable car with a bit of fun added in.

7 hours ago, JimbobJnr said:

Thanks nbramwel, maybe shouldn't rule this out and look at how advances have maybe made things better we have had so many automotive advances and just learn to accept these now as normal. 

I'm assuming the 1.0 has a good bit of grunt in it? If Ford can get 140bhp from their 3 pot don't see why anyone can't too with some work, but those days are behind me just need a solid reliable car with a bit of fun added in.

The 1.0TSI is a very nice engine to have, it doesn't feel weak by any means, unless you're coming from a 2.0TDI or something. The 1.0TSI can be taken to 130bhp+ with a remap, providing as good power and torque as the 4cyl 1.2TSI but with better economy.

It also sounds like a small v6, it has a very pleasant thrum to it, especially when pressing on in the rev range a bit. It's a very satisfying drive.

I had a 1.0TSI monte for a day as a courtesey car, and own a 1.2TSI SEL which i run daily.

Had a Fabia 1.0tsi manual as a loan car for a week and was very impressed with the overall package (drive, performance, ride, packaging, and especially the excellent fuel economy).

Predictably most here are complimentary, so you should arrange for a test drive to make your own impressions.

Be a good idea if you can take your dad along as well so he try out how easily he can get in and out. My elderly mother-in-law had fewer problems accessing the Fabia than our Octavia, but everyone is different.

Cars I think are relatively spacious tend to shrink when I give substantially bigger friends a lift. 

Cheers Gerrycan 

I'm on night rotation this week so sleeping as much as can during the day. When I switched to my current car took dad with me to see if we can get him in and out which wasn't too bad. 

The Fabia seems a little more refined so will hopefully take him at weekend however being in Scotland have to pray for a wee bit of sun, my dad aint been able to drive for 15 years or so due to health issues. Loves his cars and showrooms as well as teaching me how to look after a car in the simpler days of 80/90's. Result is friends who don't like spannering are always looking for something done as their garage is too busy or can I look at their kids cars now too.

Am short but most mates are built like brick outhouses so smaller car is a good excuse to leave them behind.

• Like 1