Do I or don't I?

PhantomFlanFlinger

Hi,

Just joined the forum as I'm looking at buying an 18 plated Edition, but now have serious concerns over my preferred option of the 1.5 TSi.

Currently driving a 55 plate Avensis diesel with 217,000 miles which I've had for 14 years. 200,000 of those miles are all mine. The car's been great, but it's (finally) time to change.

I'd whittled my choices of a new car down to a Mazda CX-5, Toyota CH-R, VW T-Roc and the Karoq. I've had test drives in them all and had come down to the CX-5 and Karoq, leaning heavily towards the Karoq.

I'd seen comments about the engine whilst looking at forums on the T-Roc but hadn't thought too much into it until reading through the topic on here and hadn't noticed anything on the test drives.

The engine issue has really thrown me for six. Second hand prices are varying quite a bit and the cheaper ones are a fair distance away from me. Unless I'm willing to do a possible 6 hour round trip for a test drive, I'm left with the option to drive the car and buy it on the same day.

So, after all that, what am I asking? 

Do I go ahead with the hope the car I choose is OK on the test drive? Do i forget about the 1.5? I'm not sure about dropping to the 1.0 and I wanted to move away from diesel.

All suggestions and comments appreciated.

Dave.

Hi Phantom there is no real answer for you other than go with your gut.

The engine is new and you have no frame work to judge longevity so our opinions are just a very small sample of a massive pond.

The only sure fact is that VWG have updated the engine and that would indicate they felt it needed changes. How those changes play out over time who knows.

The game for VWG (and other manufacturers) has changed considerably these last few years with new regulations and a move to new technology so it is all a bit unknown as to how the 1.5 will fair over a 10 year life. Your comments indicate a buy and hold purchase?

If I wanted a long term bet I think I am nervous about my current 1.5 DSG and I will look to move it on sooner, especially if there are any good deals once recession really kicks in...

If you want to keep it for a short period say 3 years then sure go for it.

I love the tech I have and the switch from manual to DSG has been great, but like you the version of the 1.5 I have makes me nervous...

😏

• Like 1

Hi,

If you re-read the comments that give you 2nd thoughts then I suggest you re-read them again and calculate how many people have an issue relating to the 1.5tsi.  Was there an issue that VW Group addressed? Yes. Did that fix work? Yes.

Asking about commnets on Karoq here is like asking is the Pope Catholic? You know what the response is. What I'd ask is how many CX-5 forums did you check out? I'm guessing you were interested in the 2.0 petrol? If you read user forums you'll find the CX-5 isn't error free.

This are my thoughts about the CX-5 petrol. If you're going for the manual version the economy is only so, so but if you go for the auto economy takes a hit.

You say you drove both cars - how did you find the Mazda comared to the Skoda? What I disliked about the 2,0 petrol was it's gutless at low revs, if I wanted to make the thing move it meant revving the engine. The 1.5tsi acts more like a diesel in that there's usuable torque low down in the rev range. If you push the 1.5 the economy isn't so impressive but in every day normal use, I thought the 1.5tsi bettered the 2.0 in every department. That said the 2.0 I drove was the older tech - I believe Mazda now give the option to buy a newer version which may help tho at £1000 more, I'd probably stick with the older one. I guess you'd have to be buying new or very nearly new to be offered the newer engine?

When I did my calculations, running costs for the Mazda were more. Have youchecked out the insurance? The CX-5 was going to cost me about £150 more per year.

22 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Hi,

If you re-read the comments that give you 2nd thoughts then I suggest you re-read them again and calculate how many people have an issue relating to the 1.5tsi.  Was there an issue that VW Group addressed? Yes. Did that fix work? Yes.

Asking about commnets on Karoq here is like asking is the Pope Catholic? You know what the response is. What I'd ask is how many CX-5 forums did you check out? I'm guessing you were interested in the 2.0 petrol? If you read user forums you'll find the CX-5 isn't error free.

This are my thoughts about the CX-5 petrol. If you're going for the manual version the economy is only so, so but if you go for the auto economy takes a hit.

You say you drove both cars - how did you find the Mazda comared to the Skoda? What I disliked about the 2,0 petrol was it's gutless at low revs, if I wanted to make the thing move it meant revving the engine. The 1.5tsi acts more like a diesel in that there's usuable torque low down in the rev range. If you push the 1.5 the economy isn't so impressive but in every day normal use, I thought the 1.5tsi bettered the 2.0 in every department. That said the 2.0 I drove was the older tech - I believe Mazda now give the option to buy a newer version which may help tho at £1000 more, I'd probably stick with the older one. I guess you'd have to be buying new or very nearly new to be offered the newer engine?

When I did my calculations, running costs for the Mazda were more. Have youchecked out the insurance? The CX-5 was going to cost me about £150 more per year.

Thanks for the input.

It was the 2L petrol CX-5 I was interested in. I thought it lacked mid-range grunt rather than low down. I had a chance to drive it on the M1 (as per my commute) and was disappointed when wanting to overtake. My old Avensis pulls better. Hence why I was leaning over to the Karoq. The smaller lower-res infotainment screen also bugged me in the CX-5, but that's another story. 🙂

Guess I'm just after a bit of reassurance and that I'm not making a big mistake.

I guess there's an element of luck in whatever you buy. Honda usually comes tops for reliability, I've had three of them, two where were boringly 100% reliable, the last being the most unreliable car and the worst car company I've had to deal with.

7 hours ago, Keithjock said:

Im on my 2nd Karoq 1.5 DSG SEL and I have had no issues whatsoever with the engine or auto gearbox. First Karoq 2018, 2nd Karoq 2020

Similar for me. Still driving my 2018 Karoq 1.5 DSG SEL. Absolutely no issues whatsoever, same as above. Probably the best car I have owned. A keeper.

• Thanks 1

We had the 1.5TSi engine in an Audi A3  (badged TFSi by Audi but the same engine I believe).   We had no issues with it other than it simply wasn't fast enough for my wife, who now has a GTi 245 Golf.

I was going to get the 1.5TSi Karoq but opted for the 2.0TDi has it has more torques and I love the tall gearing.....

Obviously given the stories around you are right to be cautious, but it would appear that not all 1.5's are afflicted.  Unless you are buying brand new I would guess a test drive in your chosen vehicle before handing over the cash is the way to go..... 

• Thanks 1

Two years running my 1.5tsi DSG Karoq, absolutely  trouble free with an average 40 mpg, increasing to 45 plus on a long journey. My third Skoda ( since 2013), previous ones were Octavia diesels, also DSG equipped. I've not needed as much as a new bulb in any of these Skoda's during my time with them and am very satisfied.  Previous cars have ranged from BMW's, Mercedes, Fords & VW's, and a Honda Hybrid which had a gearbox fault resulting in a £10k bill ( yes, ten thousand pounds) although Honda "graciously" agreed to pay £6,500 of it  because the car, serviced exclusively by themselves, was just two months out of warranty. Needless to say, I changed to Skoda and have never regretted it ! 

• Like 2