Retrofitted a reverse camera

Hi Guys. I have just retrofitted a reverse camera on my Kodiaq from my skoda service partner but I am not sure if its any different to the factory fitted one. I was told it was exactly the same. 

Attaching a picture of it please let me know if its any different to factory fitted one.

Its placed in boot opening latch. I belive its called highline camera. I regret not opting for it when I ordered the car.

20200702_205113.jpg

It looks exactly like the view on my factory-fitted one.

The coloured lines should move with the  steering and the “buttons” on the right give different views.

I regret not opting for it when I ordered the car.

I didn't have the option as mine was a pre reg. I didn't think I'd miss the one I had on my previous car, but I do.

Can I ask how much it cost and did you fit it yourself ?

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

It looks exactly like the view on my factory-fitted one.

The coloured lines should move with the  steering and the “buttons” on the right give different views.

Yes I could do that. It also gives some boxes on one of the option not sute what that for.

1 hour ago, olderman1 said:

I didn't have the option as mine was a pre reg. I didn't think I'd miss the one I had on my previous car, but I do.

Can I ask how much it cost and did you fit it yourself ?

On my previous one I didn't have it. I think its a good option to opt for as parking places are getting smaller and smaller. I paid £542 (inl vat) I checked with 2 dealers both same price.

13 minutes ago, Montozuma said:

Yes I could do that. It also gives some boxes on one of the option not sute what that for.

That sounds like the parallel parking view.

Top button, reversing into space view

Second button, parallel parking view.

Third , button, towbar view.

Fourth button, wide angle view for reversing out a space.

• Thanks 1

The “boxes” are part of the parallel-parking assistance.  The car won’t steer itself, as it would with the full version of parking assistance, but the screen will show YOU when and which way to turn.

I tried it once, when the car was new.  Yes, it works, but it seems more faff than making up my own mind!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jasoncmiles said:

Did they install the P button / switch to cancel the view? Unless already installed.

I already had the P button.  My 20 SEL has front and back sensors. 

£542 for a reversing camera 😯😯

The last 2 I have fitted have been ones integrated into the OE boot handle or number plate lights and have cost less than £10 including delivery from China.

You can see where they make their money on new cars.

I don’t for a moment suppose that Montozuma’s camera was the straight equivalent of a £10 camera.  It's likely to have included such exciting extras as fitting, wires, connection to power supply, connection to the infotainment screen, and connection to input from steering and bumper sensors, and the addition of squirty cleaning.   I recall it was a £350 extra when I bought my Kodiaq, and retrofitting will be so much more faffy than fitting it during construction, so the £542 sounds reasonable.

Edited by DaveMiller

He referred to it as an option so I assumed it was a factory fitment on the assembly line.

In which case the loom specified for the car will have had the cabling included (perhaps they all do anyway) there is no connection to inputs for steering angle & parking sensors, they are all canbus data signals to the head unit already in place.

Does the OE fitment have a washer for the camera lens? In my experience they might on a good day dislodge a spider but to remove the road dirt that obscures the image requires a wipe with a cloth.

My cameras came with all cables & connectors etc.

Edited by J.R.

That’s interesting, thank you.  So is the effect of having different lenses (normal, wide-angle, downward-looking, etc) produced in the camera, or electronically, in the head unit?  I’d always assumed a composite of different lenses, but that might be old-fashioned thinking.

I find the squirt cleans well.  I've certainly  found the lens dirty enough to need a quick squirt, on rare occasion, but have always then found the view clear.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

£542 for a reversing camera 😯😯

The last 2 I have fitted have been ones integrated into the OE boot handle or number plate lights and have cost less than £10 including delivery from China.

You can see where they make their money on new cars.

:) If its was Chinese it would void my warranty 😬 Thats why I had go with skoda part. 

55 minutes ago, AndyMorris said:

Had mine fitted @ skoda dealership in Leeds, £280.

Well worth the drive up from Birmingham! 

If anyone wants the lads number drop me a PM

Thats not bad price £280 with vat 🤔  The price list say £395 with vat and labour cost rest I guess. 20200704_194434.thumb.jpg.c3693a130d3d707bac66ee98e2776d40.jpg

1 hour ago, Montozuma said:

Thats not bad price £280 with vat 🤔  The price list say £395 with vat and labour cost rest I guess. 20200704_194434.thumb.jpg.c3693a130d3d707bac66ee98e2776d40.jpg

Your quoting factory fit price, mine was fitted when car was a few months old, and yes £280 was with vat. 

As posted above its £500 an odd @ most dealerships to have fitted. 

4 minutes ago, AndyMorris said:

Your quoting factory fit price, mine was fitted when car was a few months old, and yes £280 was with vat. 

As posted above its £500 an odd @ most dealerships to have fitted. 

To be honest I am pleased it was possible to fit.

Yes it would be nice to have it fitted for less. I tried 2 dealership both quoted exactly the same. I think with brexit parts price has gone up as well. 

On 04/07/2020 at 09:01, Montozuma said:

On my previous one I didn't have it. I think its a good option to opt for as parking places are getting smaller and smaller. I paid £542 (inl vat) I checked with 2 dealers both same price.

Wow!

That’s a lot of fuel. Or hotel rooms.

6 hours ago, DaveMiller said:

Or less than one unfortunate bump into something hidden behind?

Or could get away not leaving a note..as its getting widely acceptable and sleep well on someone else's damage 😛

On 04/07/2020 at 18:42, AndyMorris said:

Had mine fitted @ skoda dealership in Leeds, £280.

Well worth the drive up from Birmingham! 

If anyone wants the lads number drop me a PM

Mine is also booked in with Chris Farthing on Saturday morning, £280 inc. VAT for the genuine Skoda highline version fitted in a Skoda workshop.

Do you know how much of the interior trim is removed? He told me it'll take approx. two hours to complete.

This was from one of his Facebook posts, it looks like quite a significant strip down :o

No photo description available.

I'm hoping I'll still be rattle free afterwards...

Edited by silver1011