Android Auto not accepting Spotify Premium

Please help me. 

I have a premium Spotify account but for whatever reason Android Auto in the car WILL NOT accept the fact that I have a premium account. 

For example, if I press the voice command icon and say "Play Crazy Train by Ozzy Osborne on Spotify" she tells me "Choosing songs is only available to Premium Spotify Members" 

The account linked to Android Auto is the same one as is on my phone, which is the Premium Account. 

I can manually search on my phone for a specific song and it will play it on Android Auto. 

The only thing I can possibly think of is that Spotify is classing the car as a completely different entity and thus not allowing Premium (if trying to select a song via Android Auto). If this is the case, it's completely retarded! 

Any suggestions? 

I think I may have figured it out mate. You can only have 1 Live Stream going at once, unless you have the Premium Family Plan. 

So stream No. 1 is the phone (Premium) 

Stream No. 2 is Android Auto (Not Premium) 

I find this totally bonkers and pretty much makes premium Spotify redundant on Android Auto without spending even more money per month to upgrade to a family plan. 

I think I will be cancelling Spotify pretty soon. Plenty of other apps that will work with Auto. 

Well if you bought Premium just for streaming music via Android Auto I'd agree it's a waste of money as there are other free apps for that. However i don't think that's the (primary) intention of the Premium subscription and if you're deeply involved with music, nothing else comes close to the service provided by Spotify premium.

That been said, I am a bit confused with your setup, what do you mean by "the account linked to AA"?  I just plug my phone in the usb, switch to AA from the in-car menu and launch Spotify through the AA app. I never specifically "linked" my Spotify account to AA, it just uses the account set up already on my phone's Spotify app.

Also, I haven't tried the voice command thing but you can't be playing two different streams (on the phone and on the car) simultaneously when connected to AA so I wonder why that would be the limitation. If you launch a track on the phone;s app while connected to AA it should stream it there directly, no?

I've got Spotify Premium and I'm able to give the same commands ur trying with no issues through Android Auto.

I would highly recommend u uninstall Spotify on ur phone, reinstall it and login in.

Guaranteed that should fix ur problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 14:23, newbie69 said:

Well if you bought Premium just for streaming music via Android Auto I'd agree it's a waste of money as there are other free apps for that. However i don't think that's the (primary) intention of the Premium subscription and if you're deeply involved with music, nothing else comes close to the service provided by Spotify premium.

That been said, I am a bit confused with your setup, what do you mean by "the account linked to AA"?  I just plug my phone in the usb, switch to AA from the in-car menu and launch Spotify through the AA app. I never specifically "linked" my Spotify account to AA, it just uses the account set up already on my phone's Spotify app.

Also, I haven't tried the voice command thing but you can't be playing two different streams (on the phone and on the car) simultaneously when connected to AA so I wonder why that would be the limitation. If you launch a track on the phone;s app while connected to AA it should stream it there directly, no?

When I say linked to Android Auto I meant Waze. (on Android Auto) 

Yes I can choose a song on my phone but the whole point of Android Auto is to not be using your phone whilst driving and get a fine and points on your licence. 

On 10/07/2020 at 01:19, JR RS said:

I've got Spotify Premium and I'm able to give the same commands ur trying with no issues through Android Auto.

I would highly recommend u uninstall Spotify on ur phone, reinstall it and login in.

Guaranteed that should fix ur problem.

I have now done this so will let you know if that fixes it. 

Does it make a difference if Waze is logged in with one email and Spotify is another? 

4 hours ago, Kirksherratt said:

Does it make a difference if Waze is logged in with one email and Spotify is another? 

As long as u've linked ur spotify account within the Waze app settings, it makes no difference.

I have both Waze and Spotify running with different account credentials on my phone.

Android Auto doesn't care.

3 hours ago, newbie69 said:

What extra functionality do you get by linking it to Waze though that you don't if you just run Waze and have Spotify separately? (both through Android Auto of-course)

U get the audio controls within the map view screen of Waze.

Useful when using Waze on ur phone.

Not so on Android Auto as it offers audio controls across the bottom.

7 hours ago, JR RS said:

I'm out for a drive today so will see what happens as I have re-installed Spotify. 

10 hours ago, JR RS said:

Lol, exactly. The easiest thing is to control audio playback from AA since you have the phone plugged in as the audio controls are available even within nav apps like Google and Waze.

Thus i remain confused about what the OP is after or why...

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

Lol, exactly. The easiest thing is to control audio playback from AA since you have the phone plugged in as the audio controls are available even within nav apps like Google and Waze.

Thus i remain confused about what the OP is after or why...

It really isn't that difficult to work out. 

I can't use my voice to choose a song because it comes back and tells me that option is only available for Premium Users. I have uninstalled and re-installed Spotify but AA still fails to recognise I have a premium account. 

I don't want to play about with buttons to choose a song whilst driving. I want to be able to tell it what song I want and bingo. Its becoming a pain in the arris to be fair. 

3 hours ago, Kirksherratt said:

It really isn't that difficult to work out. 

I can't use my voice to choose a song because it comes back and tells me that option is only available for Premium Users. I have uninstalled and re-installed Spotify but AA still fails to recognise I have a premium account. 

I don't want to play about with buttons to choose a song whilst driving. I want to be able to tell it what song I want and bingo. Its becoming a pain in the arris to be fair. 

Yeah and I still don't know what you're on about. I have not linked my Spotify to Waze, neither JR RS above and we are both able to just say "play Dire Straights on Spotify" and it does start to play a random Dire Straights song, or just control music from the infotainment, the phone is inside the cubby at all times.

Seems like you're complicating thins more than you need to trying to run it via Waze? Unless I'm missing something else.

1 minute ago, newbie69 said:

Yeah and I still don't know what you're on about. I have not linked my Spotify to Waze, neither JR RS above and we are both able to just say "play Dire Straights on Spotify" and it does start to play a random Dire Straights song, or just control music from the infotainment, the phone is inside the cubby at all times.

Seems like you're complicating thins more than you need to trying to run it via Waze? Unless I'm missing something else.

I haven't linked Spotify to Waze, forget Waze for a minute.

For whatever stupid reason it will not accept that I have a premium account. Its driving me mental and I'm obviously not explaining myself properly. 

Basically it won't ay a specific song via voice command. It's rediculous. 

I have figured it out. It was a problem with Google Assistant. I had this linked to my old (Free) Spotify Account. So in summary, Waze was fine, Google Maps was fine and Spotify was fine. 

Although just to note that you can link Waze & Google Maps from the Spotify app. 

Thank you for trying to help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2020 at 21:17, newbie69 said:

Glad you sorted it, wasn't really making any sense to be working for the rest of us but on in your car! 

Yeah it was weird but you can see why it was frustrating me. At least I know in case anybody else has the same issue. 

• 1 year later...
On 26/07/2020 at 21:50, Kirksherratt said:

I have figured it out. It was a problem with Google Assistant. I had this linked to my old (Free) Spotify Account. So in summary, Waze was fine, Google Maps was fine and Spotify was fine. 

Although just to note that you can link Waze & Google Maps from the Spotify app. 

Thank you for trying to help. 

Thanks Kirk, your topic was the only one I found on the web and I've managed to fix it as well.

I did it by installing "Google Home" on my phone - in this application you can reset your Google Assistant connection with Free Spotify and reconnect with premium account.

Here is the procedure https://support.spotify.com/us/article/google-asssistant/ - I've copied it below, in case this link expires.

Link Spotify to Google Assistant

1. Make sure your mobile device is connected to the same WiFi as your Google device.
  2. Open the Google Home app.
  3. Tap Account in the top-right.
  4. Verify that the Google Account shown is the one linked to your Google Home. To switch accounts, tap another account or Add another account.
  5. Back on the home screen, tap + in the top-left, then Music and audio.
  6. Select Spotify and tap Link Account, then Log in to Spotify.

Since I've already had Spotify visible in that app I had to:

1. Select (temporary) Youtube Music as main music player

2. Click on spotify to disconnect it with google assistant

3. Click spotify again to reconnect it - now it should detect I have premium account

4. Select spotify as main musi player

5. Enjoy my life :) 

I hope this helps even more people