Blower fan works on position 4 but not 1, 2 or 3?

Skoda Fabia Mk II, 2012 1.4 SE 5D Hatch

The resistor pack was replaced and worked OK for 1 month then problem returned. Air con works OK but, at fan speed 4 it is too cold.

Why should resistor pack fix only last 4 weeks? Is there anything else that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

For a resistor pack to only last for a month, your options for why must start with:-

1) not a genuine part

2) an electrical or mechanical issue with the fan motor, ie windings partially shorted out or bearing seizing up slightly - both causing a higher than normal current draw.

3) obstructed air flow as it will be the air passing over this resistor network that keeps it cool enough to survive.

4) another few reasons that I have not thought about.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll check the pollen / cabin filter? It was supposed to have been changed at last service only a month or so ago but maybe the garage forgot ( 😒) to change it?

If it needs the whole blower unit replacing how much £ are we talking about?

I can't give you any clues there at all sorry, someone else might chip in if they have had to replace a fan motor.

It's always worth checking the cabin or pollen filter now that this has happened, I've forgotten what the access to the actual fan impeller is via the opened filter area, but you might be able to reach in and spin the fan with something to try to gauge if it is free to turn or a "bit stiff to turn".

I have heard others also say shove your hand up inside the cabin filter aperture, when you have the filter out, to feel for debris trapped up in there. try to rotate the fan if you can reach it.

The official method of changing the fan is by removing the whole dashboard as it is supposedly one complete unit. This along with a new fan, can be quite costly, depending on the version of fan or a/c you have. I had a climatronic fan replaced some years ago at a cost of around £400, I think it was. The few mins driving away from the service place, on a hot summers day, (You might remember that one) with nice, cold, blowing air, I said to myself, "Worth every penny"!

I just re-read this and you say number 4 is "Too cold". Can you not turn the temperature up a little, along with the fan being on a bit too fast, at least temporarily?  Did you buy a genuine part or was it an eBay/aliexpress version? Often these are a great way of saving cash but almost always will never outlast a genuine part. Buy cheap, buy often. That said, it SHOULD last at least a year or so. If ebay, complain... I have had many items over the year replaced or refunded due to failing/not being good enough on the bay but on aliexpress, I have never had a refund/replacement successfully!  That does not mean I would not buy there but eBay will intervene if a seller fobs you off.

Also, you said it was "Replaced". If done by a dealership/garage, they will also be liable for their work and parts, unless they can prove an underlying fault.

Edited by mrgf

I mentioned "too cold" as a way of saying the air-con is working so that people would not ask "Have you checked the air-con?". Yes, you are right in that turning up the temperature a bit will make this easier to tolerate.

I should say at this point (I should have said it in post #1) is that I am talking about my son's car and it was he that bought and replaced the resistor pack himself. He is a qualified Electrical Engineer but not the auto-electrician type. I am just trying to help him since I have more time than he has to investigate on his behalf. I have sent him the link to this thread so any comments posted here will help him. Thanks! Your input is very much appreciated.

• Like 1

I would guess he knows at least as much as the average car enthusiast, when it comes to replacing the part properly then. I guess it comes down to a duff part or an underlying issue. Mostly, I have heard happy results after changing the resistor so perhaps he got unlucky!

I changed the fan on a MK1 Octavia and I think unless I was dreaming I also removed the fan on the MK2, I was expecting an impossible job but it had been really carefully designed and could not have been easier. I am surprised to hear that the Fabia would be different.

If the pollen filter was blocked up then the fan would be trying to pull a vacuum so would it be correct to say that, if the fan is blowing air at the full speed when on setting 4, then the pollen filter cannot be blocked up? Or is it just that the load on the fan /  resistor pack would be that much greater causing the failure after only one month?

Messsage to son: Check the pollen filter anyway. It's easy to do. There are YouTube videos on how. Just search "Fabia Mk II pollen filter".

Thanks for all input.