Adding circuit to fusebox (no add-a-circuit tap)

Has anyone successfully added a circuit to the Octavia 3 fusebox without disassembling the whole dashboard? That is to say, pushing cables with JT/JPT connectors in to the back of the fusebox, not using the add-a-circuit fuse taps.

I've wired in my OEM reverse camera recently, it's the correct loom with a JPT connector for 12V so I'd like to connect up to fuse position #18, as it should. I've had a bit of a poke around, but I couldn't see a way to get the fusebox forward enough to release the purple locking strip, Some success stories would help give me motivation to return to it another day, rather than leaving a temporary bodge in place!

I've shamelessly borrowed a couple of photos to demonstrate from our Cupra friends at:

https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/retrofit-heated-seats-a-complete-how-to.457156/

The Octavia has a crossmember passing straight over the large white shield/connector near the bottom of the box, but this looked to be integral to large parts of the dash. 

Z4itDO0.jpg

XwAWhfL.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In case this helps anyone else: 

I did this a few weeks back and spent ages buggering around trying to get the JPT fitted connectors on a couple of looms I was adding to latch into the fusebox. In the end I had to give up and rely on the secondary lock (the purple strip) to hold them in place. It'll be absolutely fine, but frustrating and a job not done 'properly'.

Well today I got hold of a similar fusebox from a scrapped car and very quickly realised that JPT will never latch. MCP 2.8 connectors are needed instead!

Photo attached - JPT (TE Connectivity AMP Junior Power Timer) crimp terminal at the bottom - I've used these in previous generation fuseboxes (Octavia MK2 etc) and received several ready made looms for current MQB models, to fit to my Octavia MK3, with them attached - so naturally thought they should fit!

Whereas top connector, crimped to a cable, is the MCP 2.8 (TE Connectivity AMP Multiple Contact Point) connector that is actually required in fusebox Octavia 3 and other MQB models for minifuse connection. Note different latch position.

IMG_20200814_155411.jpg

Edited by simion_levi
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm trying to plan my fuse box addition before having seen the fixed ix but how did you realease the box? I see 3 black tabs and something pink - what about those?