Interior LEDs

I'll expand - I'm of the opinion that there's a small spike of current sent through each of the doors and interior lights multiple times a second. Probably 10-20Hz or so, a miniscule spike. If the spike is not detected on the return, the respective circuit is switched high, to un-dim the lights. When the circuit returns, the lights wait their turn and then dim off. 

If that spike is interrupted because something actually reacts to it - remember how slow halogen bulbs are vs an LED - then things start to get wierd. This explains flashing when turning the car off (the LEDs are still reacting, when the car thinks the bulbs wouldn't).

I would expect a bunch of individual circuits - one per door, another for the boot lid and then another for the glovebox. Maybe one for the bonnet, too. THese would also be multi-use, so provide the data for the alarm.

This also excludes the idea that there's a poorly-shielded component on the LED driver board that produces EMI and interferes with the circuitry in the car. 

- Bret

I've just had my boot lights arrive from France today, easy to fit and seem to be really bright (will have to wait till its dark later to get a true feel) Just a question and it could be pure coincidence, but my car alarm kept going off when I walked away. Do they need coding? 

as stated earlier, they are not monitored so should not need it. Swap them back out again and if the alarm doesn't go off, you've found your culprit...

Edited by brettikivi

12 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Mine came from ebay today fitted now front and back much nicer than standard

PSX_20200730_221854.jpg

I've got some coming in the next couple of days too 🙂 

51 minutes ago, Benz3ne said:

Are they as blue as in the picture? :)

No mate there not,phone cameras enhance colours just a slight blue white tinge to them much nicer and more modern looking than standard bulb 👍

Just now, Mickvrs220 said:

No mate there not,phone cameras enhance colours just a slight blue white tinge to them much nicer and more modern looking than standard bulb 👍

It'd be the white balance rather than enhancements but got you. Cheers! 👍

On 30/07/2020 at 21:37, brettikivi said:

as stated earlier, they are not monitored so should not need it. Swap them back out again and if the alarm doesn't go off, you've found your culprit...

I just had another try, and when I shut the boot and lock it the flashing starts, then after about 30secs the alarm goes off. I have a OBD Eleven, work trying to find something in there to correct it. 

On 22/07/2020 at 17:08, Sharki1984 said:

As promissed.

20200722_170716.jpg

I'm having a mare! I orderd the Led's you posted and they are to long, I can't get the surround back on & second the Boot Leds arrived from France and when I lock the car the hazards come up for 30secs and then the alarms sounds.

1 hour ago, Kepsy1 said:

I'm having a mare! I orderd the Led's you posted and they are to long, I can't get the surround back on & second the Boot Leds arrived from France and when I lock the car the hazards come up for 30secs and then the alarms sounds.

This is one of the issues you will get when installing the cheaper LEDs in your car. If you go osram you won't have any issues. Ive used them in 2 mk3s so far without any problems