Interior LEDs

So the interior was boring and not bright. So i fitted some 501 leds. Mine takes 5x 501 LEDs. This is what i fitted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-501-Projector-Led-Cree-Smd-Canbus-Super-Bright-White-Reflection-T10-W5w-Bulbs/382010095554?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

As normal. Realy bright. No pics yet will add more in later.

• Like 1

First thing I did in both of my VRSs. Including boot, interior roof, glove box and footwell lighting. Easy to do and a huge difference from the yellow dull lamps they come with

Didn't someone on here used to sell kits to replace all your lights with LEDs?

What's a decent make that's likely to last? There's so much on eBay it's difficult to know what's good and what isn't.

Edited by Mister Paul

12 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Didn't someone on here used to sell kits to replace all your lights with LEDs?

What's a decent make that's likely to last? There's so much on eBay it's difficult to know what's good and what isn't.

Some people regard Osram as a higher tier to the swathe of eBay LEDs. I'm personally going to go down the Osram route for the interior bulbs (with the exception of the boot lights which are panel ones from AliExpress (as demo'ed by SashaGrace somewhere in her build log - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32791071534.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7abd4c4dIC48LV which can now be ordered from France so should arrive within 7 days after payment clears or money back. Mine en route).

The company that I think have been mentioned before are https://www.ledperf.co.uk/#auto

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sharki1984 said:

Why is the pic size so small?? It says max total size 2.07mb wen i try to add pics...

Forums get charged for server space used, so picture size needs to be limited.

Just use a tool like paint+ to compress the pictures - you'll be amazed how small it can make them while keeping the detail visible.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

Forums get charged for server space used, so picture size needs to be limited.

Just use a tool like paint+ to compress the pictures - you'll be amazed how small it can make them while keeping the detail visible.

Nice 1 mate just compressed em.

22 minutes ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Were they easy to fit is it just the clear plastic that pops out to change bulbs .

ye easy as that. With these bulbs i had to cut the connector down and then file the front of the bulb glass down. Tight fit but well worth it

20200723_215426_compress68.jpg

20200723_215432_compress46.jpg

• Thanks 1

@Mister Paul I have the Osram ones in mine, been in there for 18 months not had any failures yet. They were in my other VRS for a couple of years before that so seem to be doing well.

@Mickvrs220 Herw is a link to a video I made for removing the front lights. There's a video for the rear lights too on the same channel. Its very easy but it did put me off before I tried it Removing front interior light

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, AlexBlue said:

It's easy to find lights for mk3 up to 2017, which gives the impression they're not ok for the FL. I haven't pulled a boot light out to check, but are they the same?

I thought they’d be the same for boot lights. I’ll be able to tell you whether they’re okay once they arrive. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AlexBlue said:

It's easy to find lights for mk3 up to 2017, which gives the impression they're not ok for the FL. I haven't pulled a boot light out to check, but are they the same?

Alex, shouldn't be a problem. Honestly though just go and have a look, you can pull the boot light out with a thumbnail. I have a 2019 and the Osram ones I use are absolutely fine. 

19 hours ago, AlexBlue said:

And boot lights I linked earlier from AliExpress arrived and have been fitted. 30 second job. Considerably brighter than OEM. 

3B1254E9-6B6A-47EC-BEFF-F438421458AB.jpeg

286078AE-F701-47A9-9C87-D9E84E0A7350.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi , I tried two different sets of replacement multi  led trunk/boot light units in my FL 2018 Octavia Estate. I agree they are very bright. I removed them because both sets caused issues with the car elecrtrical control system.

1. Opening the glovebox when the engine was running ( and maybe just with the ignition on ?) resulted in a warning on the MFD that the trunk/boot is open. Not really a problem but the next one I didn't like.

2. If an interior overhead light was left on and the car was locked with the alarm armed the car flashed the exterior lights and sounded the alarm . This was sort of ok but confounded me at first. If replacement led lamps are fitted in the trunk/ boot light units and an interior overhead light is left on when the car is locked the car shuts down the interior lights after a short while and no exterior light flash and the alarm does not sound.

Interesting. When the interior/reading light is clicked on and the car is closed and locked the interior light flashes as if it’s alerting you that it’s been left on - the rest of the lights dim and turn off. Didn’t leave it long enough to see whether the alarm sounds and/or the interior lights turn off. 
No glovebox issues with ignition on and registering boot as open. 

8 hours ago, Benz3ne said:

And boot lights I linked earlier from AliExpress arrived and have been fitted. 30 second job. Considerably brighter than OEM.

Evening shot

E8621DBF-38FE-401C-9FC6-A0F3946B3F28.jpeg

• Like 1

I tried one of my pairs of multi led boot light units today and blow me down no strange issues with MFD boot open warning when glove box opened with ignition on . If an overhead light was left on and the car locked no alarm sounding issues  or flashing exterior lights and the car shut down the interior lights after a short period . 

The only thing I have changed since the problematic instal is replacing all the incandescent interior light bulbs with a mixture of led lamps of various types depending on which would fit . The glovebox light unit is the most picky,  liking incandescent shape clones e.g.  osram  !  The overhead light units accept many shapes.

I wonder why everything is ok now?

• Like 1

because there are electronics involved and the LED bulbs present different loads depending on which driver is used and how it's connected. The system is looking for specifics - like a load or not - and you're confusing it by giving it a load or removing one where it's expecting something else. 

- Bret

6 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

because there are electronics involved and the LED bulbs present different loads depending on which driver is used and how it's connected. The system is looking for specifics - like a load or not - and you're confusing it by giving it a load or removing one where it's expecting something else. 

- Bret

I didn't think there was any monitoring of loads for interior lights though; it isn't a smart system. I would have thought that variations in manufacturers would present different loads even if they were non-LED. Your response would make sense to me if there were similarities across the board i.e. I installed my boot lights only and had a boot open warning when opening the glovebox a la @GUM213K's findings, which was not the case. Interesting and curious all the same!

Edited by Benz3ne