Water Ingress

Ihatethea12

hi

I've had the Karoq for 6 weeks now and found water in the boot and spare wheel well despite never carrying fluid in the boot. Dealers were unable to find the cause yesterday and want me to take the car back. Anyone had similar issues or could give me/them a steer on what to check?

Cheers

20200714_165752.jpg

I seem to remember a similar thread where the garage had to put a mechanic in the boot and spray water around the car to find the fault - which I think was a rubber seal around a rear light assembly? Other possible culprits are a door seal, or seal around the rear windscreen wiper shaft from history with my previous cars. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CJJE said:

I seem to remember a similar thread where the garage had to put a mechanic in the boot and spray water around the car to find the fault - which I think was a rubber seal around a rear light assembly? Other possible culprits are a door seal, or seal around the rear windscreen wiper shaft from history with my previous cars. 

Chris

Thanks Chris

I've found those same threads and given the dealer that info. Additional ones I've seen this morning and the pan roof being a potential cause. Dealer position currently is "take it away and bring it back if it happens again"

There are drain 'hoses' at each corner of the panoramic roof to drain away any water getting around it. These can block up with debris and cause problems but not I'd hope on a new car!

Chris

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CJJE said:

There are drain 'hoses' at each corner of the panoramic roof to drain away any water getting around it. These can block up with debris and cause problems but not I'd hope on a new car!

Chris

Just got off the phone. Apparently they need to see the water in the boot to be able to cover the work on the warranty. Have you ever heard such nonsense - have provided photos and video already! Feeling slightly fobbed off

This probably isn’t related but I’ve just had all of the carpets & underlay/soundproofing replaced under warranty due to a leak at near the front offside wing. Apparently there was a gap in the sealant at a joint between the inner wing and bulkhead? Impossible for me to know one way or the other if this was true but the dealer must be fairly confident that it has now been sorted. The car originally went in to have the two campaigns rectified (sunroof drains & AdBlue metering).
If sealant can be missed at the front it is just as possible that it could be missed at the rear.

• Thanks 1

My last Karoq tailgate kept getting watering in it and when I opened it some water would run into the boot. Obviously the dealer couldn't find a problem, but looking at the underside of the tailgate it found four small black grommets, I removed one, lowered the gate and watch water pour out. It cured the problem as it became self baling from then on.

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2020 at 08:55, Ihatethea12 said:

hi

I've had the Karoq for 6 weeks now and found water in the boot and spare wheel well despite never carrying fluid in the boot. Dealers were unable to find the cause yesterday and want me to take the car back. Anyone had similar issues or could give me/them a steer on what to check?

Cheers

20200714_165752.jpg

That's truly appaling.  If the dealer doesn't immediately act on that and fix the problem then I would be asking to talk to the dealer principal (head man at that garage) and ask him about their complaints escalation process. I would also be talking to the head office for that dealership franchise.

Edited by smipx
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, smipx said:

That's truly appaling.  If the dealer doesn't immediately act on that and fix the problem then I would be asking to talk to the dealer principal (head man at that garage) and ask him about their complaints escalation process. I would also be talking to the head office for that dealership franchise.

That's the plan. They are not answering the phone so far today even though they are open

Thought I'd share an update for those interested.

Called the dealer on Monday to say I was bringing the car back. Service desk told me that they had a slot available next Monday....

Short and frank discussion followed and it was in the dealer an hour later.

Collected the car yesterday after dealer confirmed that the sunroof drain hose had been damaged and was now sorted.

Got the car home, found the boot still soaked (they hadn't bothered to dry it), and better still, the passenger footwell carpet was now wet!!!!

Take a deep breath, call dealer back...

They are collecting the car this morning with apologies and promise to sort it properly. 

• Groan 2

I know this is an obvious thing to say but try another service centre the next time you have an issue or want your car serviced (best stick with them for another round though of course).  

I had some "attitude" issues at my local garage (not returning calls when trying to book in a service and not acknowleging my online booking either) so I hit them where it hurts and booked it in to another garage.  I then sent a message on the dealership facebook page telling them of my displeasure and I had a call back from the "Brand Manager" at the garage in question.  He was in fact the franchise overall manager/owner and was quite upset at what had happened and said he was going to have a quiet word with the team involved.  I would not want to be them.  The only way to make them improve is to hurt them financially.  Even if a warranty job - they get paid by Skoda so taking it elsewhere does hurt them. you have to make sure the right people know of their loss though.

• Like 1

I don't live anywhere near Norfolk - although my brother in law does - but please warn other owners by reporting the dealer in the appropriate thread in the forum :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CJJE said:

I don't live anywhere near Norfolk - although my brother in law does - but please warn other owners by reporting the dealer in the appropriate thread in the forum :)

I'll wait until the issue is resolved, one way or another, then I can give the full story, including how they eventually did the right thing 🤞

• Thanks 1

Problem is that when you live in the sticks (as I do) there is often only 1 dealer "convenient" and naming and shaming might bite the hand that feeds so to speak.  

22 minutes ago, Ihatethea12 said:

I'll wait until the issue is resolved, one way or another, then I can give the full story, including how they eventually did the right thing 🤞

By far the most sensible thing to do. Hope the problem is resolved this time.

30 minutes ago, smipx said:

Problem is that when you live in the sticks (as I do) there is often only 1 dealer "convenient" and naming and shaming might bite the hand that feeds so to speak.  

Luckily I'm in between 2, with 2 others another 30 mins away, so potential options if I need them

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 07:22, Ihatethea12 said:

Thought I'd share an update for those interested.

Called the dealer on Monday to say I was bringing the car back. Service desk told me that they had a slot available next Monday....

Short and frank discussion followed and it was in the dealer an hour later.

Collected the car yesterday after dealer confirmed that the sunroof drain hose had been damaged and was now sorted.

Got the car home, found the boot still soaked (they hadn't bothered to dry it), and better still, the passenger footwell carpet was now wet!!!!

Take a deep breath, call dealer back...

They are collecting the car this morning with apologies and promise to sort it properly. 

Another update: car was returned after a few days and all appears to be OK. Service manager rang to confirm all ok and spoke about a goodwill gesture. As I have a prepaid service plan he said he would have a think about what might be appropriate and call me back to discuss the following day. That was last Tuesday, my phone still hasn't rung. Do you think he's forgotten??

Not forgotten, just don't care I suspect. Hoping you'll forget I expect. Get them to supply and fit something for you for free. Examples.....   Front and rear Mudflaps or perhaps sill guards or perhaps a rubber boot liner or better still all of them. Plus.... A tank of fuel. 

😁

• Like 1