MY2021 SE L now has 19 inch wheels

tgo

Previously they were on 18's as standard.

Does anyone have a SE L with oem 19's on who can comment on how the ride is?

My current Kuga is on 18's and it's lovely but  19 inch Kugas are quite crashy for comparison.

I've got 19" wheels on a sportline and find the ride to be perfectly acceptable and possibly my suspension might be firmer than an SE L.

I imagine yours will be like a magic carpet.......

😉

• Like 1

It's the same wheel that was fitted to the Edition trims, so there should be loads of owners with a similar set up to the MY21 SE L. 

Chris

I don't mind wheels with bigger sidewalls, as the ride tends to be less crashy, but seeing as the 19's are now standard...

Maybe it's a run-out thing with next year having the facelift.

On 26/07/2020 at 09:22, Phil245 said:

I've got 19" wheels on a sportline and find the ride to be perfectly acceptable and possibly my suspension might be firmer than an SE L.

I imagine yours will be like a magic carpet.......

😉

When someone uses word Acceptable

rather than good or brilliant etc. then not sure how negative the comment is trying to be

10 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

When someone uses word Acceptable

rather than good or brilliant etc. then not sure how negative the comment is trying to be

You probably spend too much time analysing....................

😉

When manufacturers supply higher grade cars they almost certainly provide a different alloy to distiguish the car otherwise why does a customer buy the higher grade to look like the lower grade? Searching my brain to think of any manufacturer who supplies the more expensive looking alloy on the lesser spec car and can't think of any. Madza provide similar looking alloys but there's usually a subtle colour change.

What an uttery weird decision then to offer SE-L with same alloys as Edition. I'm still finding it hard to believe because looking elsewhere in Europe, the Style / Ambition / Sportline etc are all clealy defined by their alloys. I'll believe it when I see it as they say.

I'd also add this is the last year before the facelift, it may be there's a surplus of those wheels they are trying to get rid off.

I ordered a SE L Tuesday 28th July and asked for the Mytikas 18inch wheels which are a free option, got an email late this afternoon saying " We have ordered your car but there appears to be a problem. They have stopped production of the Mytika Alloy and its now only the standard ones" By standard assume he means the 19 inch crater wheels, from above posts don`t know if its good or bad if getting 19 inch now.

Have replied to email asking for clarification. Oh the heated windscreen price has increased from £233 to £370 - garage said they would cover that. Don`t know if any other changes, formatting/list has changed so not easy to check every item 

You ask good or bad, answer depends on your profile and driving style.  I am of an age where I want function over style, so 18 wheels suit me for comfort. The impact on ride may be subjective, but tyre pressure on 18 rims is 2.1 bar and 2.4 bar on 19 rims , so to my mind must be a harder ride. 
I have had my Karoq just over 2 years and in my opinion whether you are on 18 or 19 rims you will not be disappointed. I think it is a superb car and I am pleased that after much research I chose it.

have my opinion on the dealership, but that I’d another subject.

30 minutes ago, Driveucrazy said:

have my opinion on the dealership, but that I’d another subject

Sounds similar to me...

In over 43 years of buying cars very regularly, best car I've ever had, worst dealer I've ever dealt with.....

42 minutes ago, Driveucrazy said:

You ask good or bad, answer depends on your profile and driving style.  I am of an age where I want function over style, so 18 wheels suit me for comfort. The impact on ride may be subjective, but tyre pressure on 18 rims is 2.1 bar and 2.4 bar on 19 rims , so to my mind must be a harder ride. 
I have had my Karoq just over 2 years and in my opinion whether you are on 18 or 19 rims you will not be disappointed. I think it is a superb car and I am pleased that after much research I chose it.

Had an email this morning and dealer has confirmed 19 inch wheels, should be ok  on 19 inch wheels on our excellent UK roads🤕🙂

10 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

Sounds similar to me...

In over 43 years of buying cars very regularly, best car I've ever had, worst dealer I've ever dealt with.....

Phil you are not that far from me, did you review the dealer?

58 minutes ago, Driveucrazy said:

Same re form over function, I'd guess though that SE L dampers are softer than the sportline (which has the same wheels) so ride may be better due to being softer.

3 hours ago, Dyrnog said:

Phil you are not that far from me, did you review the dealer?

Possibly not the same dealer?  Mine was Lookers in Manchester....

Yes different dealers, Furrows in Oswestry and have been good so far apart from unclear wording in email about change in wheel size/spec. 

My Sportline rides better on its 19s than my Seat Leon (torsion beam) on 18s...and better than my old Yeti on 17s, which I wasn’t expecting. 

I did spec spec the Dynamic Chassic Control adaptive dampers... they make a difference...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Joenose said:

My Sportline rides better on its 19s than my Seat Leon (torsion beam) on 18s...and better than my old Yeti on 17s, which I wasn’t expecting. 

I did spec spec the Dynamic Chassic Control adaptive dampers... they make a difference...

That's reassuring as I went for Progressive Steering & Dynamic Chassis Control too to ease the move to 19 inch wheels from my present 16 inch!

I don't think you'll be disappointed... Drive over a rutted road a few times using the different settings, and you'll instantly notice the difference. 

I read an autocar piece on cars that ride well with big wheels, and it gave the Golf R as a prime example. Due to the fact that a) it was designed to work with big wheels from the outset: and b) it had the adaptive dampers. I think the same applies to the Karoq. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was a little worried about the ride on my new car on 19” wheels as my previous Yeti was harsh on the standard 17” and far better on its 16” winter wheels. However very impressed with the ride so far which is much better than my previous 3 Yetis, even the Greenline which I had on 16” wheels 

I have had my edition for just over 2 years and am confident you will be really pleased with your purchase. I have a set of 19 inch crater rims which are ok, it is just that the 18 inch bragga are better. My only gripe is that I would have liked to have had the choice when I purchased.