2019 Rapid 1.5 TDI Diesel DSG sluggish upshifts during uphill ascent , inclination sensor issue ?

It's strange to hear of a 2019 diesel car with no DPF and a Euro 4 engine!

But I suppose the rules aren't as strict over there Vs Europe. In Europe even petrol cars are getting particle filters now!

With stricter diesel emissions, higher taxes, higher purchase prices and diesels not being suited to short journeys, petrols, hybrids and electric cars are becoming more popular here in Germany too.

Obviously the whole VW diesel scandal has also put many people off. And all the old diesels are bought cheap and shipped off to Poland etc.

And by the way. I've just been out in my car.

Although a different car and engine I also have the 7 speed DSG.

I drove up a long slight hill at one point. Where the car would normally be in 6th gear at 50km/h it stayed in 4th for the entire time until it leveled off again.

I hear you Phil, fir the 1.9TDI Skoda fabia sportline I was paying 220€ every year. I have been looking for a while now and got a good deal on a brand new golf 8 eTSI mild hybrid and couldn't refuse it. 

- "I drove up a long slight hill at one point. Where the car would normally be in 6th gear at 50km/h it stayed in 4th for the entire time until it leveled off again."

This is relatively better than the problem in 2/3 rd gears. Where the RPM revs up all the way to 2700 with moderate uphill.

I'm wondering whether this is deliberately caliberated by Skoda/VW to put less stress on their DSG Gear box, that seems to be the weak link in the whole transmission chain.

I wish i'm wrong here. 

Hope fully they rectify this in  my car.

It really sounds like Skoda turned out a car as good as they were able to and co-cked up a bit more than they tend to occasionally.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/444899-wiil-14-diesel-be-dropped

A Euro 6 1.4 TDI 3 cylinder 90ps DQ200 DSG Mk3 Fabia drives perfectly well, changes gear as and when they should.

The are discontinued because VW Group still could not get the water pumps / cooling right and as usual the 'Coolant' got blamed first rather than VW's recurring issue with being hopeless with water pumps and other parts.

Edited by Roottoot

23 hours ago, PassionateAboutCars said:

DSG Gear box

@Roottoot

And others.

Here are the videos. Its worth 1000 words.

Please comment. I see sluggishness every time even on moderate ramps with in city. And engine noise beyond 2500 rpm becomes very much louder.

Moderate Uphill road:  ( Its  sluggish)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J2ERgit9KdLVN14NtzAwivKtPnyLvHtv/view?usp=sharing

On flat /horizontal road: ( No issues) 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L1U2Va6wATN3VNo8JKItULJ_1VF7_sa8/view?usp=drivesdk

Sounds like your car is like the cars reviewed by motoring journalists in those vids.

All you can go is try another car or 3 the same as yours and see if it / they drives like yours. 

You have an Automated Manual gearbox so use in D or S or change in manual as the car and circumstances require, 

or leave in D if that is what you want.

Edited by Roottoot

Ok. I'm talking to service guys in parallel. Can this "clutch slip" issue be fixed without causing any other side effects ? 

Or i have to live with it ?

@Roottoot

As a workaround, i'm using the idea of    shifting mode to Manual and upshifting. 

But if the issue can be fixed, then it is lot better.

Edited by PassionateAboutCars

Definitely does not look right in the first video, you are accelerating very slowly to only 25km/h and are even overtaken by a moped yet its really hanging on to the lower gears, at higher speeds, large throttle opening, steep hill I could understand it holding onto the higher gears but not as it does with 1st & 2nd gears in the video.

The thing is my experience with the DSG (I've had the 6 speed and now the 7 speed) is that when accelerating slowing like this that there is an element of clutch slip used to smooth it out.

Hence why premature where of the clutches can occur if you do lots of city, traffic and start stop driving (just like a manual gearbox).

I'dbe interested to know how it drives if you actually just set off and drive off up to the speed limit.

If you press the accelerator normally, or heavy footed, the rpm shoots up and it again reaches 2700 rpm but for a smaller time and upshift. 

So all the same , except happens quickly. You hear that harsh engine noise. And it can go till 3000 also if you press it hard. I'll make a video tomorrow and post it. 

It's just not possible for revs to change without proportionate speed change unless the clutch is slipping. I'm afraid they have told you something less than the truth. I'm not surprised, unfortunately. 

My 6 speed manual has an indicator on the MFD that tells you when to change up, it bugs the hell out of me because its either telling me to change up whereas I know the road conditions ahead of me dictate otherwise (OK it cant see what I can) or when i am driving economically in town it wants me to change down whereas to maintain the 50km/h I would not do so unless I wanted to accelerate quickly.

So I thought that i would replicate your videos by driving off from my place up the slight hill in super economy mode, I usually change up around 1600 rpm if not before and certainly when I reach the higher gears in a 50, 60, or 70 km/h limit, this time I just let the revs rise and did not change until the vehicles ECU computation told me so.

In 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear it told me to shift up at 1600 rpm, which on the light throttle  opening was later than I would have done but a mile away from 2700 rpm.

I would have to drive that in manual mode, sounds like they screwed up the mapping for your market without the DPF and all the other rubbish.

I must look again at the video to see if clutch slip is evident.

I did a quick test too. I know it's a different car, older model and a petrol but the gearbox is similar/the same.

I tried to set off slowly and up a slight hill.

Mine acts completely differently to yours.

So either there is a fault or they've completely messed around with the programming of the gearbox for the indian market / this engine gearbox combo.

50185588972_aed5b1b03f_k.jpgVID_20200803_192549 by Philip Embleton, auf Flickr

There never has been anything similar in how the gear changes are with a DQ200 DSG with a revvy 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 or 1.0TSI's from 70 ps - 192 ps and a TDI fitted to a DQ200 DSG be those 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 TDI's.

As for how the 1.5TDI seems in the review videos, they seem pretty poor.

I've never yet seen one shifting like that though.

But then that particular engine isn't available outside of India it seems.

It could be that a custom DSG software may be the only option if Skoda India are saying everything is fine and that's how it's programmed.